Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Toyota Hilux - Which Bullbar

Toyota Hilux - Which Bullbar

Which bullbar would you go with for a new 2021-22 Hilux. Im looking at the genuine Toyota steel bullbar or the ARB summit bullbar. It seems like much of a muchness but there might some more insight out there from others for something I haven't considered.

Not really considering anything else as these two can be put on without effecting the new vehicle warranty. Cheers.
    stuart likes this.

I do like the arb gear and design. Also the how you can get colour coded bars to match truck colour.
    Also you might have to upgrade the front springs/shocks for the extra weight of a arb front bar.

There is a 21 hilux on TM at the moment with tjm gear on it.
    The rear bumper looks cheap with the check plate and that design of the front bumper looks horrible. I could imagine the sticks and crap that go up through the holes in the front bumper

Also looks like the tax will be about $2900 on the hilux

MSL
    I’d buy the arb. I liked it over the toyota offering, just seemed better thought out, rather than just looking the part. That was on my 2014 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colour coded bullbars are for metropolitan namby pambies.

Bullbars are for pushing things. Using as a tool. Standing on. Knocking things over. An early warning system… right where is that wall, ah there it is. They are meant to be powder coated black, or alloy.

Get a winch. There are more uses for winches than winch designers ever realised.
    Just...say...the...word

Arbs with a 9000 lb super winch fitted in as its fitted to yr truck.Youl never regret the cost.Name:  20210911_172515.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  140.8 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thats not a bar. This is a bar.

Winch goes under the number plate (not sure if I need one or not). Bar replaces all of the bottom skirt plastic and gives a better entry angle. I had broken the plastic getting into steep little creeks.

Name:  IMG_5166.jpeg
Views: 735
Size:  3.69 MB
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

I have no bottom skirt either,all metal.So what protects your $2000 factory truck lights?snorkel next Tahr.
    Last edited by Trout; 11-09-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I have no bottom skirt either,all metal.So what protects your $2000 factory truck lights?
    Cheap Adventure King Chinese lights protected by my careful driving.

One thing Im a bit concerned about is the weight of the bar on the factory suspension - I think Im getting a bit of droop. So maybe I will need to do a suspension up grade. There always seems to be trade offs.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Tahr ,get a set of these harden perspexs light protectors.Cheap as ($120 pair there abouts 2 yrs ago)and protect my $900 head ligths.Got them onTM from company in Auckland.Easy to fit.Stops those bloody little stones from busting yr ligthsName:  20210911_183717.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  540.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I think he was talking about the ranger lights not your spotties and yeah you probably will need a suspension upgrade, I know Ironman recommend it.
    Oh, ok. yeah, I guess they are a bit vulnerable but I didn't want the weight of another or higher loop.
    I thought when I put the bar on the suspension would be next so its not a major. About $2.5K I think.
    @Trout I will look for some covers. And yeah, a snorkel is on the wish list. Suspension and snorkel, and thats it. Im coming down on Wednesday next week for 4 days - so we might catch up, eh? Staying at the usual.
    Last edited by Tahr; 11-09-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I think he was talking about the ranger lights not your spotties and yeah you probably will need a suspension upgrade, I know Ironman recommend it.
    Insurance companys are slowly delecting glass protection insurance.I still have it.Your ranger factory head lights would cost a fortune to replace.One head light on my patrol about 10yrs ago was over $1000 plus fitting.Thank you insurance company.Check yr insurance glass section Tahr.
    Tahr likes this.

Ironman Commerical series on my Navara. This is a truck that actually earns it's keep daily, steep farm, wet, forestry and bush blocks, day in day out pushing, pulling, over, under and through everything, been reversed into by a tractor even at one stage. Good protection and approach angles and solid as a rock. Imagine it's not very lightweight but put on as dealer option along with suspension to match.
    Name:  IMG_20210814_075630_4.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  2.98 MB
    Tahr, Trout and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have no affiliation but if it was me I'd get an Ironman to support the company that supports NZ Hunter Adventures.

Suspension is on the cards so no worry about the extra weight of the bar. Same situation, will be ARB OEM suspension so it maintains new vehicle warranty. I do like the look of ironman but unfortunately the Toyota agreement is with ARB.

Will be getting the following through Toyota: Canopy, steel side steps, snorkel, towbar with recovery points, deck liner.

Tossing up between Toyota or ARB bullbar with front recovery points. Considering a winch but not sure, only being able to pull forward would not have helped me in past situations. Diff breathers etc will be extended. OEM suspension and lastly maybe some additional under body protection but tossing up options and what I do and don’t want to fork money on based on necessity.
    Tahr and Trout like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    …. and lastly maybe some additional under body protection but tossing up options and what I do and don’t want to fork money on based on necessity.
    You mean… firstly <not maybe> under body protection.

I’ll show you my ARB UBP plates if you like. Saved my arse many times. Nothing quite like landing on one of those instead of your transfer case or sump.

Winches are not all about recovery. They are damned useful… and when you’ve got one even though you thought you didn’t need it, when you need it there’s nothing quite like it.

But I get the upfront cost considerations. Bottom line is I have all the fruit including front and rear lockers and there isn’t a single part of the original build that hasn’t saved my arse on a regular basis. Depends how you use the vehicle obviously but I’m not afraid to use mine to the max.

Don’t forget you also need to extend your gearbox and transfer case breathers.
    stagstalker likes this.
    Just...say...the...word