Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Toyota Hilux Servicing

Toyota Hilux Servicing

My service plan has run out on 2018 Hilux 4WD. No more cheap services. Next service due next week is 90,000km. After talking to Toyota, that’s going to cost $1000. Complete lube replacement all round. Has anyone gone to an independent mechanic for these services and is it any cheaper and warranty still valid as long as correct consumables and parts are used? If it’s only a small saving I wouldn’t bother but if savings are significant I’d definitely look into it .
    TIA

What’s in the warranty agreement with Toyota bro? Sometimes the warranty says it has to be serviced by the dealership and others say it just has to be a warranty approved mechanic. My Holden Colorado was serviced by a garage in town from new as a warranty approved mechanic (most workshops are). Way cheaper then servicing with the dealer

yeah that was the problem with my mercury motor on the boat. 5 year warranty but had to get it serviced at an agent which was boat city in Pram. Still not as far as Napier

Looks like I’m shit out of luck. Nearest service centre other than a dealer is Dannevirke. Have to have service done at a service centre or dealer to get the extended warranty out to 5 years. Ute is 4 years old in September.

Got me by the balls on this one I’m pretty sure.
    XR500 likes this.

If it's anything like the "full services" I've seen it won't be all fluids, so I'd check to make sure they do include diffs, trans service and transfer box.

Unless they use some ridiculously expensive oil (like ZF do) changing fluids is not difficult or expensive.
    Even your local garage shouldn't be able to screw up fluid replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    If it's anything like the "full services" I've seen it won't be all fluids, so I'd check to make sure they do include diffs, trans service and transfer box.

Unless they use some ridiculously expensive oil (like ZF do) changing fluids is not difficult or expensive.
    Even your local garage shouldn't be able to screw up fluid replacement.
    Sounds like it is all fluids. With option to not have done any I don’t want. Just sounds like a shit load of money for 3 hours work.

A + B + C
    Name:  C88CD5A5-EAD6-49E1-AFE1-3D90908709AF.jpeg
Views: 443
Size:  388.5 KB

Id say youd be a bit light if 1K was your pricing. $855.00 plus timing belt.
    toyota_service_menu_2022.pdf

Gone But Not Forgotten
    They don't call them stealerships for nothing.
    Carbine, tetawa, Bill999 and 2 others like this.

Caretaker
    I’d say it’s cheap to get another 1.5 years of warranty

It’s only money, you can’t take it with you when you leave this place
    mikee, Happy and bigbear like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yup the 90k is 1 of the biggest services.
    All up it can get past 1200 easily with everything done.
    You can ask for the extras to be checked and replaced only if deemed absolutely necessary.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

According to that list they only replace brake fluid and engine oil.
    Unless the I* as you said means it's optional.

$1000 is way to expensive but that is to be expected, I'd be inclined to get it done just to keep your warranty.
    If there was a considerable saving in not doing the optional fluids and it didn't effect your warranty I'd forgo them and do them myself, if you need them done for warranty purposes then probably best to do them.
    If it's an auto ask if the flush the trans out fully or if they just drain whats in the pan? I guess they'd replace the filter too, may pay to confirm.

You could argue the warranty isn't really necessary as Toyota never break....

Curious to know how they inspect the diff, transfer, trans oil when not replacing, do they just check the level is correct?
    Maybe they drain it out, look at the colour and stick it back in?

Just suck it up.... I got my 4yr old triton serviced at 40km they insisted on doing the 60km service (due to age not kms) having just failed my warrant for brake pads (wtf I don't tow much) $1300... That's dealership life

As long as you keep good records of the services etc it should be no problem with warranty. I have prestty much serviced my 70 series from new. Oil and filters every 5000km. grease every 2500 kms in the drive shafts. fuel filter every 15000 kms. diff and g box 40kms.

No problems so far.

Dear though. Just the filters are $120 on their own now. Thinking about putting a finer pre filter in with water trap. cheaper filters. Change that one and leave the main fuel filter alone. That's what I did in the last Hi lux.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    According to that list they only replace brake fluid and engine oil.
    Unless the I* as you said means it's optional.

$1000 is way to expensive but that is to be expected, I'd be inclined to get it done just to keep your warranty.
    If there was a considerable saving in not doing the optional fluids and it didn't effect your warranty I'd forgo them and do them myself, if you need them done for warranty purposes then probably best to do them.
    If it's an auto ask if the flush the trans out fully or if they just drain whats in the pan? I guess they'd replace the filter too, may pay to confirm.

You could argue the warranty isn't really necessary as Toyota never break....

Curious to know how they inspect the diff, transfer, trans oil when not replacing, do they just check the level is correct?
    Maybe they drain it out, look at the colour and stick it back in?
    90k includes diff oils, transfer oil, AT oil drain and refill (there's no filter as such to change), brake fluid, fuel filter, and of course engine oil, and filter. If air filter and cabin filter need doing then that adds bit more on top.

Checking oil level and condition is pretty simple and straight forward by the way. It's not rocket science.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh