Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Chunk
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 5 Post By Chunk

Thread: Triton turbo leak

Triton turbo leak

Morning people. I just thought Id put it out there to see if anyones had a similar issue and what the fix was.
    The turbo on my 2014 triton has started to leak oil. Always been a little around turbo but it’s getting worse.
    Done 95000 ks.
    I was thinking I might check the oil return to sump from turbo to see if was slightly blocked.
    Any other thoughts would b3 appreciated.
    Cheers in advance.

Caretaker
    O rings between compressor and bearing housing

Changed a few

Cheap if your not paying for labour

Clean with brakleen and a paintbrush to make sure you know EXACTLY where the oil is seeping from

Most times it’s the oil line fittings themselves that leak and not the turbo housings.
    veitnamcam, Carbine and XR500 like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Cheers 7mm. The front turbine when I removed intake to turbo was clean as. Nil movement on shaft. Ill do as you say and check pipes. Would be awesome if it was just that . The thought of a new turbo makes my arse pucker. Cheers very much.

Well Ive just cleaned it all up ready to test for the leak. A bit if googling on a Triton forum points to a known “ issue “ with the gasket/ surface between the alloy part of the turbo and the cast part. There was apparently a production fix for this in FEB 2013 where the washers ? were changed?. Probably would have been under warranty once but not now.
    I post up what the verdict is when I find out more. Thanks for advice 7mm
    7mmsaum likes this.

Check yr breather on the rocker cover.make sure its clear and nt blocked

Don't forget to clean out intercooler. It will have oil in it
    No.3 likes this.

also the tube that leads from cover up to the sensor under passenger side window. about a 20x15 block with tube leading to it.
    but the intercooler being the low point will be full of crap. remove it, clean it and dont let any solvents hit the manifold, so just let it blow thru before you reconnect the air intake system to the inlet manifold.

f...it i hate engines but the more electronics they put in them the harder i work......p.s i doubly hate EV. and teslas are pure feckin crap!
    No.3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Well Ive just cleaned it all up ready to test for the leak. A bit if googling on a Triton forum points to a known “ issue “ with the gasket/ surface between the alloy part of the turbo and the cast part. There was apparently a production fix for this in FEB 2013 where the washers ? were changed?. Probably would have been under warranty once but not now.
    I post up what the verdict is when I find out more. Thanks for advice 7mm

Will still be under warranty mate 2024

Thats a thought Kelton thanks . Only thing is I didn’t buy it new , ( not that flush, haha) . So does the warranty transfer ? .A call into the dealer might be needed I think.
    Cheers

10 yr Mitsubishi warranty only applies to original owner and if serviced by approved agent.

As said I thought Id let everyone know what the issue was . The oil return line back to the sump(?) was slightly blocked . This probably caused the gasket where the pipe bolts to the turbo to start to weep and eventually make a good path for flow. All fixed , clean as a whistle and im real happy.
    7mmsaum, 199p, Ross Nolan and 2 others like this.