Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: AT Tyre recommendations

AT Tyre recommendations

Looking like I will be getting a new to me hilux soon. Will require new shoes however.... What do people recommend for a decent AT tyre that wont break the bank?

Work trucks are running BFG ATs which go bloody well but at +$500 each you would expect them to! Running Wanglers on current truck and they have been okay but not as good as the BFG.

Majority of kms will be on road but weekends will see farm tracks, river beds, ski rds etc.

What would folks recommend?

@mudgripz what was it you said you got high KMs out of???

Mickey thompsons m/t last two trucks 80ks on one set and the other one would have got more.Running nitto trail grapplers now but very early days on these.

Recently got a new truck and agreement was for it to have new AT or MTs all round, was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up to discover it had a set of new Cooper STs on it, had heard so many good things and for the price of them you would expect them to be good too... not so, first day out in the rain on tarseal came round a 65kmh bend, chopped it back to 5th (6 speed) and accelerated out of the corner, bloody thing broke traction really easily, stepped the ass end right out and I damn near ended up facing the way I came from, put the shits up me big time, have "pushed" them a bit in the rain since then to see where their limits are and I have zero confidence in them at all and will be getting rid of them, the "cheap" goodride MTs I had on my old hilux would never have behaved like that. Have since looked at some actual reviews and it seems like a recurring complaint, bloody dangerous in the wet
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

These are great. Wearing well, grippy in all terrain and strong walls.

Name:  IMG_1466.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  2.73 MB

Recommended from Brad (Mad Maori) on here (Bay Tyres). Great to deal with but a bit distant from you.

I had the Cooper ST and agree with Ryan that they were slippery in the wet. I thought that the latest model of them had fixed that, but it sounds not.
    tetawa, madmaori and Cliff like this.

Yep I tried few sets of muds for 4x4 club work and surprisingly the best mileage was from some inexpensive Korean N889 Mudstars. Mate and I both ran around 100ks in them. Hard compound. Really liked them on and off road. Just put more on my new truck... Smallish measurements so you may need to go up a size - say 265 instead of 245 etc.

I’m running 980 Maxxi A/T on mine. Good on-road (not noisy also) and seem to handle off-road well although I’ve only been on pumice and mud, no rivers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

I had Hankkooks. Seemed all good but had a bad run with punctures so it put me off.
    Looking at Toyo open country ATs
    Anyone tried them?

I'm running some Goodride SL369 AT on my Terrano.
    Gets used fair bit on farm tracks. Been good so far. To be honest, I've taken it the same places I did when I had MT's (Goodride SL366) on. The AT's are so much nicer on road.
    Goodride's are at the cheaper end of the tyre market.

Coopers are at the top end. But they do last a long time. Had customers getting 80K+
    They have a couple of AT's. S/T MAXX a 50/50 and the AT3 (XLT or the LT) a 70/30.
    The S/T MAXX is the more aggressive AT tyre and is very good. We put a lot onto customers vehicles.

All depends on your budget.
    Get the best you can afford, as well as a wheel alignment from someone that knows what they're doing (most tyre shops are what we call "toe and go" places and have no idea what they're doing).
    Regular wheel rotations front to rear and keep the correct pressures up, and any tyre will last a long time
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Cheers guys few options to research. Was hoping to keep it under $350 a corner if possible which pretty much rules out th Coopers, which might not be a bad thing by the sounds of it!

In Oz used to run BFG ATs but switched to Maxxis AT-980 Bravos in my opinion a better AT tyre on the bitumen and in the wet also alot cheaper great wearing as well.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    I'm running some Goodride SL369 AT on my Terrano.
    Gets used fair bit on farm tracks. Been good so far. To be honest, I've taken it the same places I did when I had MT's (Goodride SL366) on. The AT's are so much nicer on road.
    Goodride's are at the cheaper end of the tyre market.

Coopers are at the top end. But they do last a long time. Had customers getting 80K+
    They have a couple of AT's. S/T MAXX a 50/50 and the AT3 (XLT or the LT) a 70/30.
    The S/T MAXX is the more aggressive AT tyre and is very good. We put a lot onto customers vehicles.

All depends on your budget.
    Get the best you can afford, as well as a wheel alignment from someone that knows what they're doing (most tyre shops are what we call "toe and go" places and have no idea what they're doing).
    Regular wheel rotations front to rear and keep the correct pressures up, and any tyre will last a long time
    The Maxx is what I have on mine and they're bloody dangerous, I actually don't think I have ever been scared of a vehicles capabilities in the rain before but they sure have me worried
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The Maxx is what I have on mine and they're bloody dangerous, I actually don't think I have ever been scared of a vehicles capabilities in the rain before but they sure have me worried
    New vehicle and new tires...some of if may actually be the new vehicle and getting used to it?
    tetawa likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    What do you drive?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

northdude
    I run nangkangs at on mine get really good kms out of them also had federals as well a few of our customers use the goodrides and get a good run out of them