Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Volvo S60 2.4

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Volvo S60 2.4

Does anyone know anything about these.
    it's the non turbo model , just under 100km
    thinking about it for the missus but know nothing
    Google gives same problems as any other car really

it looks tidy but private sale not dealer so a little concerned about no come back if they're shit.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Have you owned a used euro before? Having gone down that track i would get it checked by a mechanic who knows their way around them.

Dont get me wrong they can be excellent but from my experience (HDi Turbo Diesel) Servicing is expensive and not really DIY stuff as using the wrong oil in some of them can be disastrous.

Id be checking the service history at the very least.

No never had a euro
    had a series one jag once used to go well when it was going.

the Volvo may not be the wisest thing to buy as I don't live in a city so may struggle to find a mechanic who knows about them

I am stupid enough to still work on cars for a living and I wouldn't put a cent into any volvo, ever. Same goes for any Euro crap really, unless you shit money and can take a $5k bill without wincing at all, then it's all good, safe, and often fast as all fuck, like the 335i/C63AMG/whatever floats your boat.. An old S60? Hell no. There are a zillion other things jap that do the same job, better, maintain their value blah blah blah

I have a financially stretched housewife a week ask me whether she should buy this cheap Golf/307/Saab/werewolf cos it's "cute"..... "nope, get a civic/corolla/camel, cos you can actually afford what's likely to wrong with it".. And about half the time they ignore me, get the heap of shit in question anyway, then cry when I'm usually (but not always of course) right.

Having said that, if I'm going to have someone I love get in a smash, I'd rather they did it in a volvo
    jakewire, sako75, JoshC and 4 others like this.

looks like the Volvo is out then

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I am stupid enough to still work on cars for a living and I wouldn't put a cent into any volvo, ever. Same goes for any Euro crap really, unless you shit money and can take a $5k bill without wincing at all, then it's all good, safe, and often fast as all fuck, like the 335i/C63AMG/whatever floats your boat.. An old S60? Hell no. There are a zillion other things jap that do the same job, better, maintain their value blah blah blah

I have a financially stretched housewife a week ask me whether she should buy this cheap Golf/307/Saab/werewolf cos it's "cute"..... "nope, get a civic/corolla/camel, cos you can actually afford what's likely to wrong with it".. And about half the time they ignore me, get the heap of shit in question anyway, then cry when I'm usually (but not always of course) right.

Having said that, if I'm going to have someone I love get in a smash, I'd rather they did it in a volvo
    Well said! But they still buy the shit mixer euro trash because it's a nice colour, and then whine about the invoices you give them aye!

Glad to be off the tools - 11 years now...😀
    Tommy likes this.

Was thinking of this ,Volvo S60 Sedan 4dr 2002 | Trade Me
    Will look for a Camry or similar now.

2.4, quick enough on open road, good around town, good looking, four door, mid size sedan, comfy, well equipped, good on gas, reliable as fuck, comfortable, good resale, cheap/easy to source parts...

Honda Accord Euro
    nor-west and 199p like this.

Did I mention comfortable? Toyota, while being (used to be anyway, a lot of the new stuff is garbage) the benchmark for reliability, were always really shit in the seat department.

Sorry tommy are you talking about the Camry or are you meaning the Honda euro with that description
    thanks.

2.4, quick enough on open road, good around town, good looking, four door, mid size sedan, comfy, well equipped, good on gas, reliable as fuck, comfortable, good resale, cheap/easy to source parts...
    Accord

thanks, I'll check them out.

This sort of thing

All the leather towbar, sunroof etc, quite highy 'optioned' (there will be tons of other little things too), and from a dealer
    Honda Accord Euro 2004 | Trade Me

To a more basic
    Honda Accord Euro 2006 | Trade Me
    Cloth seats, no sunroof, you get the general idea.
    That engine is absolutely excellent, plenty of poke, but if you nanna it they are quite frugal. Just go to any old dealer and take one for a drive to get a feel. Compare it to the volvo if you've driven that.

thanks Tommy
    I've checked
    we are in the middle of the south island and there is like 7 of them for sale down here and all seem to have a heck of a lot of kms
    I'm looking to pay no more than 7k cash, not booking anything up
    I'll keep looking

there is this but it's getting up in Km and it's far more expensive than the ones from Auckland you copied me.
    cheers.
    Honda Accord EURO 2.4 NZ NEW 2004 | Trade Me