Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wagon change but what to get

H.M

Wagon change but what to get

So after some long hard thinking i have decided my swb safari will be going up for sale, i have a 2 year old and a 2nd on the way and 2 dogs with a 3rd on the way, safari was cool while it lasted but need to look at the 4 door option now, am thinking older hilux with a canopy mayb a 2.8 as i will be only spending what i get for the saf (around the 17k mark). Is the hilux my best option or are the other makes worth a look aswel? Any thoughts be helpful toward making the final decision cheers.

4wd hiace.
    Use enough gun

17 for a Safari?
    The older 2.8 luxes were a good truck in there day but are all getting end of life now....I got rid of mine for a 80series as I couldnt legally or easily put a baby seat in the back....later ones you can but still a pain in the arse as there just isnt enough room.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

80series would fit the bill

H.M
    Yeah 17 she one of the tidy low km ones. Payed that for it last year and put 2 inch lift safari snorkel 33s and bullbar, also has winch. Shes a minta. Aw yes cheers i was wondering what they be like for carseats. Its still guna be my sole hunting wagon as we have a station wagon for family trips, so guna do alot offraod but boy loves coming along aswel as mates and dogs so need the room. The safari was a silly buy looking back but got the swb bug out of my system.

A very short tall person ROKTOY's Avatar
    KZJ78 Prado, coil suspension all round, 1KZ motor same as Hilux more room and stationwagon body for more storage.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    17 for a Safari?
    The older 2.8 luxes were a good truck in there day but are all getting end of life now....I got rid of mine for a 80series as I couldnt legally or easily put a baby seat in the back....later ones you can but still a pain in the arse as there just isnt enough room.

They have increased in value. Mine was worth 50-75% more when it was nicked than when I insured it.

Even the Bighorns are going up in price. To get one in the condition of mine when I bought it would be at least 50% more than I paid 3 years ago.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SGR
    2000-2004 hilux for similar $ is my pick, that or an 80 series

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    They have increased in value. Mine was worth 50-75% more when it was nicked than when I insured it.

Even the Bighorns are going up in price. To get one in the condition of mine when I bought it would be at least 50% more than I paid 3 years ago.
    I've seen a POS 1990 Terrano sell for over 4k, no way in hell I'd spend that kind of money on a Terrano.

I probably wont get much support but I really like the Series 2 Land Rover Discovery, the TD5 had a few teething issues but has proven to be a reliable motor. They are a comfortable vehicle on the road amd very capable off road, and despite the LR reputation are reliable.
    Biggest down side to an LR is of something does break can be difficult to fimd someone to fix them, but of you do work yourself parts are readily available.

Can get a good one under 10k easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    a good one 10k under easy.
    Fixed it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

H.M
    Thanks for the replys, would love a 80 series but my budget wouldnt get me one that has under half a million ks, shit they hold their value. Like the idea of a canopy for the dogs and can sleep in if need be. Need to sell safari 1st then think il just sit and wait for something to come up that fits the bill.

80s run 7-12grand here and safaris less than that.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

we run a triton, goes like the clappers with the egr turned off

GWH
    My old 3lt Diesel Prado, fits the bill quite nicely for me, enough room to fit the whole family comfortably, tough enough and pretty cable off road for most situations. Comfortable enough on longer trips and enough power, and not too flash or expensive to worry about sratching it and leaving overnight at road ends etc.

My 4 year old in the back coming out of the Ruahines after his first overnighter in a DOC hut over the School holidays.

Name:  20180713_111923 - Copy.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  254.1 KB
    Snowgrass and tetawa like this.

Was in the same boat as you at the start of the year. Had a SWB Patrol but was far too tidy to get scratched up and not enough room. Sold it and got a manual 97 1kz Prado for less than a third the price I sold the Nissan for. Plenty of room and goes really well. Plus money in the bank to do a few things to it.
    GWH likes this.