Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: What's the most reliable new ute

What's the most reliable new ute

Iv been thinking of buying another new ute because in sick of the lemon 2017 d max that iv got now it's had problems since day 1 & now it out warranty & still got problems. I'll just get a base model it will be a 4x4 drive double cab think I might go automatically this time I do round 25 thousand - 30 thousand km a year a big part of that driving is on rough metal roads & I do a lot of towing & with trailer & load it be round 2000-2500 tonne. Iv got no problem with the dmax when it going I don't like the dmax new model only has a 3 year warranty when most other utes are 5years to me if they so reliable it wouldn't cost them any more to have a 5 year warranty. So what brand would you buy that's going last more than 3 years & ant going to cost a huge amount to buy & service thanks. I have always got ute service on time & at the dmax shop where I brought it.

Have you considered the Mitsi Tritons?
    I did a lot of investigation before buying, and the ability to run them AWD on the road, and a 10yr drivetrain warranty put it ahead of the competition. Additional points for it also being the cheapest.
    veitnamcam, Bryan, tetawa and 2 others like this.

I just sold a 2018 DMax at Christmas for a new Ranger XLT. Cost $12K less for the swap than what I was quoted to swap for a new DMax. Love the Ranger. I do 50K a year. 75% on tar, rest gravel and off road. Already done 13k in the Ranger. Hard to fault. The only area were the DMax was better was on rutted gravel. Don't know about the new model DMax though.

The old DMax shat its turbo which I wasn't very happy about.

Yea mine done that to it gone to limp mode that was a long drive home at halve power it idles high all the time it makes it hard backing trailers when the thing wants to idle at 1000 rpm & the shop say they there ant a fault couse it ant putting up a fault coda & I know riding the clutch all the time ant going end good & with idling at 1000 rpm is geting hard to go from 2nd to 1st gear. I haven't gone looking at them yet but just wanted to get people's feeling to see if one jump out. Yes to the triton I have had one before the dmax but it didn't like towing the heave loads iv had some good frights in it when the trailer thort it wanted to try & be the leader but I do think they have fixed the towing problems nw

You will get a better resale withe the ranger or hilux. Also ask what the scheduled service cost are. When i looked last year the second or third service on the mitz was $1500 the service price getting it serviced local was very costly full stop.
    I decided not to bother up grading stick to what i have

I didn't want to upgrade but I'm a bit worried but how much a year it going to cost me now at of warranty. I always end up buying a vehicles that are build on a Friday my brother he can buy what every vehicle he wants & won't cost him a cent il get same one & it cost me a shit load & he thrashes the shit out his it is a bit of a family joke bot me picking all the lemon vehicles in nz
    veitnamcam, 308, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    my brother he can buy what every vehicle he wants & won't cost him a cent il get same one & it cost me a shit load & he thrashes the shit out his it is a bit of a family joke
    i have a brother like that .....could fall down the toilet and come up with a gold watch.....
    sore head stoat likes this.

The other half just bought a Triton auto and she's very happy with it - good towing capacity 3.5T and the AWD will go ok on hard top surfaces (not in the base model if i recall)

From what I''m hearing the problem might be availability of new vehicles too so that could be a factor
    Steve123 likes this.

we have a 2010 triton, hopefully they have sorted out gearbox issues by now as its common for them (as we later found out) to not want to shift from 4th to 3rd.
    other issues inc the egr fouling up and blocking the inlet manifold full of crap.
    we were considering buying a new one but the service costs at mitsubishi for oil changes etc are ridiculous and if they dont service then the extended warranty is void

Have a 2016 Mitsubishi L200 upgrade from my old shape 09.
    Good vehicle I fitted a catch can to avoid the erg fouling. Runs well. Only hindsight I maybe should have brought an auto!
    Also upgraded the rear leaf springs and shocks as the factory ones are not much chop, once you put a load in the back. They started bending all the wrong way
    308 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

On a side note they won’t be selling any more in the UK. So will have to buy Fiat when I look for a similar one in the future.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I have the 2020 Triton GLX-R. Bought it because of the warranty is excellent and the local dealer included tuff deck, canopy and towbar as well at no extra cost.
    Mine was one of the last manuals they brought in.
    If I did it again I would pay the extra for the GLS with the upgrade 4wd system. Although I have yet to get the the glx-r completely stuck despite the incompetence on my part.

Buy anything new with warranty and thrash on

I know several with the dmax and no issues,
    my old colly had problems but my new one is mint but almost time for a new one as warranty is almost out

Mitzi 10 warranty sucks with servicing and servicing costs old man dumped his pajaro early because the service upkeep was to high
    300winmag, madjon_, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

2018 triton, happy with it but as noted above service costs are up there. Brought for the warranty and as I couldn't justify the 10k+ difference for a ranger or hilux

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Iv been thinking of buying another new ute because in sick of the lemon 2017 d max that iv got now it's had problems since day 1 & now it out warranty & still got problems. I'll just get a base model it will be a 4x4 drive double cab think I might go automatically this time I do round 25 thousand - 30 thousand km a year a big part of that driving is on rough metal roads & I do a lot of towing & with trailer & load it be round 2000-2500 tonne. Iv got no problem with the dmax when it going I don't like the dmax new model only has a 3 year warranty when most other utes are 5years to me if they so reliable it wouldn't cost them any more to have a 5 year warranty. So what brand would you buy that's going last more than 3 years & ant going to cost a huge amount to buy & service thanks. I have always got ute service on time & at the dmax shop where I brought it.
    Well, touch wood I don't get the same curse. I have a 2014 D-Max and its been great. I've done 120,000 in it and only ever had to pay for diesel and kms. If I was to get another I would look at the new Mitsi's, or the Ranger and Hilux. No one has really mentioned the navara, and have not heard much about them.... Also from Wanganui!