Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: When does a car become hassle than its worth?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,742

    When does a car become hassle than its worth?

    Hi all.

    I have found myself in a spot of bother.

    I bought a Subaru Impreza off my brother as he was going to London and all was well.

    The right hand CV joint was clicking so fixed that. And now a whole raft of issues has arisen. Essentially between the mechanical stuff and some surface rust it'll cost more than the car is worth to fix. I know I should probably just flick it off for what I can get and replace it.

    First car too so I am torn between the devil I know and the one I don't.

    I have seen a daihatsu 4 wheel drive for 2000 dollars on TradeMe. Seems good.

    Any advice?

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    1,946
    first thing is once all that is wrong is fixed will it be what you want and the other thing do you have money to buy another vehicle .I go by the rule if a vehicle costs less than $2500 a year in repairs it is cheaper than paying off a new vehicle and you know what is good on your original vehicle .

  3. #3
    Member norsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    522
    Well.

    It depends on low long you want to keep it/How long its expected life span is vrs the cost of the repairs.If its just nuts and bolty work you will likely figure it out yourself with the help of a manual.Surface panel rust can be done pretty easily yourself.Even painting it can be done well at home if you listen to Mr Paintshop man and follow his instructions.Grab an old panel from a wreckers and have a practice.

    90% of the shit I know was because I wanted to do it,the other 10% was learned at School.

    I
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    1,054
    All the young guys will disagree but - dont ever buy an older , high mileage Subaru , and dont ever buy a used turbo one.

    Have a non-runner 300,000km 1999 Suby on my lawn at present that has been a steep learning curve for the son-and-heir. Lucky I still had my Escudo for him to use ......
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    first thing is once all that is wrong is fixed will it be what you want and the other thing do you have money to buy another vehicle .I go by the rule if a vehicle costs less than $2500 a year in repairs it is cheaper than paying off a new vehicle and you know what is good on your original vehicle .
    Well... It is good in the sense that it is ok on gas. 550 kilometres from 40 litres. And I have no issues leaving it at a road end as it only cost me 1000 bucks off my bro.

    I can afford another vehicle. The only issue is that I ride my motorbike everywhere else because of crap Auckland traffic. So I don't use it all very much.


    Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Well.

    It depends on low long you want to keep it/How long its expected life span is vrs the cost of the repairs.If its just nuts and bolty work you will likely figure it out yourself with the help of a manual.Surface panel rust can be done pretty easily yourself.Even painting it can be done well at home if you listen to Mr Paintshop man and follow his instructions.Grab an old panel from a wreckers and have a practice.

    90% of the shit I know was because I wanted to do it,the other 10% was learned at School.

    I
    I was hoping to get another 2 years out if it. The things wrong are cam belt. Spark plugs and wiper blade linkages. And radiators full of brown goo.

    I was planning on doing the rust and then cam belt left to a mechanic.

    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    All the young guys will disagree but - dont ever buy an older , high mileage Subaru , and dont ever buy a used turbo one.

    Have a non-runner 300,000km 1999 Suby on my lawn at present that has been a steep learning curve for the son-and-heir. Lucky I still had my Escudo for him to use ......
    The turbo ones are normally thrashed and abused. Mines a 1.5 litre auto

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    5,988
    Finish your apprenticeship and you will have free wheels for life.
    I know it wonít help in the short term but hopefully it gives you something to look forward to.
    Russian 22. and xtightg like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

  7. #7
    Ejected
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,250
    The things you listed are cheap and easy to sort yourself.
    Run it in to the ground, wouldn't even bother with the rust if it's not stopping a wof.
    Once it's almost dead $1 reserve or money from the scrap man or use it for a racecar in the 24hr lemons race.

    Do a radiator and trans flush when you do the cambelt and continue with routine maintenance and you should be sweet for the next couple years.
    gadgetman and xtightg like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    South Auckland for the now
    Posts
    132
    I agree with @Nibblet

    If you don't need it everyday to get you from A to B then you're not under the pump to fix it overnight. Spend an evening on youtube and figure out what you need, order the parts and buy the tools. Remember that almost everything on an old vehicle is bolting and unbolting things and it's easy. Righty loosey, lefty tighty.

    The main expense will probably be the tools and the time spent getting the knowledge but if you invest in them, instead of paying someone to do the work for you, they'll last your lifetime.
    gadgetman, Micky Duck and xtightg like this.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing.

  9. #9
    Member Savage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,560
    If it's only worth $1k then I wouldn't even bother replacing the cambelt if you can't do it yourself, flush the radiator and run it into the ground then buy something else.
    xtightg likes this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    3,875
    if its got a manual box then keep it and keep it tidy, the prices of older subbys are going up if they are manual as impossible to get one unless its a brz or wrx.
    the mew ones are all cvt so thats the end of me updating my legacy

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    6,214
    On the other wide, my partner has a daihatsu terios and they are an amazing little car, can fit 18banana boxes in it or 2ppl, 3border collies in the boot and he backseat free for gear. Goes 90% of the places I'd take my landcruiser, really lights and just skip over any mud, small enough to ft up forestry tracks without scratching.... CeCenthe diff works and 1St is pretty low on them (no low box)
    Sideshow and berg243 like this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    3,875
    why do you need 18 boxes of bananas ?
    is it some weird stewart island fetish ?
    tetawa, Pengy and Sideshow like this.

  13. #13
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    13,621
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Finish your apprenticeship and you will have free wheels for life.
    I know it wonít help in the short term but hopefully it gives you something to look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I agree with @Nibblet

    If you don't need it everyday to get you from A to B then you're not under the pump to fix it overnight. Spend an evening on youtube and figure out what you need, order the parts and buy the tools. Remember that almost everything on an old vehicle is bolting and unbolting things and it's easy. Righty loosey, lefty tighty.

    The main expense will probably be the tools and the time spent getting the knowledge but if you invest in them, instead of paying someone to do the work for you, they'll last your lifetime.
    I'm with these guys. I like the old mid 90`s stuff and earlier stuff. Easy to work on and you have to 'drive' them. I have couple of old subbies at home and just love maintaining them. Give everything a good cooling system flush and full lube and check over. After that the just run, and run, and run. 400,000km is nothing for those engines if looked after. Everything is fairly easy. If you don't know how to do it when you start you know when you're finished.
    john m, norsk and xtightg like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    why do you need 18 boxes of bananas ?
    is it some weird stewart island fetish ?
    when you visit the island you will see strange things never question never ask much safer that way and be wary of having a couple drinks with them in the pub ,very unhealthy.
    Sideshow and WallyR like this.

  15. #15
    SiB
    SiB is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,421
    Determining whether you should keep a vehicle is entirely dependent upon the noises you can hear; over the vroom noises it becomes normal to hear a low grumbling (gearbox) or intermittent whine (bearings) noise.

    If either of these sounds become louder, almost to becoming unbearable, the source is highly likely to have become she-who-controls-the-joint-bank-account. The noise she-who-controls-the-joint-bank-account makes is inversely proportional to their need for shoes, make-up or in rare cases, a poo for free rifle.

    Be aware that if the grumbling sound she-who-controls-the-joint-bank-account is making can be heard by others, particularly in cafes or hair salons, the life expectancy of your vehicle is significantly reduced.



    And, before any hormone-crazed person seeks my whereabouts so that they can squeeze my mysoginistic testicles into items the size of Suzanne Paulís glowing spheres of luminescence, they neednít ask for my address; just join the queue, thereíll be one nearby.
    mikee, WallyR and Fawls like this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Not worth the hassle...
    By rs200nz in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-03-2018, 04:16 PM
  2. FS: What is it worth?
    By kirabilli in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 15-12-2017, 02:06 PM
  3. FS: are these worth anything?
    By scotty in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-07-2016, 07:45 PM
  4. Worth a look.
    By BRADS in forum Shooting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
  5. What's it worth?
    By Bavarian_Hunter in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 21-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!