Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Windscreen/Glass Repair

Pure-bred Mutt

Windscreen/Glass Repair

So the venerable tractor (Y60 saf) has collected enough chips to fail a WOF.
    Replacement screen is $350 from the pros. repairing all the chips is getting to 75% of that.
    I'm sure that a) it was cheaper the last 2 times I've had it done and b) they're in cahoots with the shitheels that do roadworks up here. Honest to god we have chipseal not even a year old that is literally fucked down to the hotmix they laid it over. How I hate town, let me count the ways... But I digress.

Anyway, this is a rubber-bung-in type screen, not glued. (I've cut a few glueys out when I did time at a wreckers)
    Anyone on the forum "in the biz"? I'm very much tempted to pick up a second hander ($150) and kiwi it in (DIY) - is this a stupid idea? Also allows me to deal to any issues that come up when it's out (rust, probably)
    Alternatively I can get some 2pack super clear resin and fill the thing, there's something about drilling the crack in/out? Is this a stupider idea?
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

my brother in law got a kit off aliexpress with all the stuff to do windscreens i think it less than $60 with delivery.

Can get a kit at supercheap that does the same, about $50 if I recall. Don't inhale the fumes, and don't let them get onto your skin even the fumes can create issues with chemical sensitivity that stuff is nasty.

When a screen gets that pinged up, I reckon best to replace as you can come out after a frost and find the outer fully cracked up as it can't handle the laminate pressure with the difference of expansion between inside and out. Plus the screen does from part of the rollover strength as well and I kind of rate that... Glass cover on insurance is good at this point.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Plus the screen does from part of the rollover strength as well and I kind of rate that... Glass cover on insurance is good at this point.
    I don't roll it (much) and my insurance is that It's so slow it can't go fast enough to do damage. Soon to be upgraded to scaff pipe exo cage.
    Plus I'm am adherent of that "not driving into things" school of risk mitigation.

Found a second hand one cheap enough. Just need to do a bit of homework on fitting.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

You got insurance?,guess not.

MSL
    Yeah do it yourself, can’t be any rougher than half of the ‘pro’ shops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just googled it, can't find much which is a pain in the arse.

One thread suggested using peg springs as wedges about 10 on the inside between screen and rubber slowly working it out. Then once it's kinda half popped take it out carefully, lean it up against something and stand back to admire your success when it falls over, smashes. Damn...

But they did all say don't reuse the rubber, and for some reason MQ rubber (which is apparently the same) is about 70% of the GQ price in Aussie. Use a bit of window sealant on the inside of the rubber and it will help the rubber slide into place and seal properly which also stops the paint failing and rusting away under the seal.
    mimms2 likes this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    You got insurance?,guess not.
    A bit irrelevant to the query, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Just googled it, can't find much which is a pain in the arse.

One thread suggested using peg springs as wedges about 10 on the inside between screen and rubber slowly working it out. Then once it's kinda half popped take it out carefully, lean it up against something and stand back to admire your success when it falls over, smashes. Damn...

But they did all say don't reuse the rubber, and for some reason MQ rubber (which is apparently the same) is about 70% of the GQ price in Aussie. Use a bit of window sealant on the inside of the rubber and it will help the rubber slide into place and seal properly which also stops the paint failing and rusting away under the seal.
    This rubber is new with the last screen. I have lots of "trim tools", plastic spatulas etc. The getting-it-out wasn't the bit that concerned me, it getting the new one in...
    Yes MQ and GQ are same glass.

I use dishwash liquid as lube for rubber-vs-steel.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up though man. Appreciate.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Yeah do it yourself, can’t be any rougher than half of the ‘pro’ shops
    Rough I don't mind, and would be in keeping with me and my gear. It does, however need to work >140% and be reliable.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Pull in ones are piece of piss, bit of rope and you are away
    mimms2 likes this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Pull in ones are piece of piss, bit of rope and you are away
    Sweet. That's how we cut them out. Makes sense.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Both feet on the screen and push hard it will pop out, clean it all put rubber on new Screen rap I piece of insulated auto wire,the flexible stuff not house type in the groove where the steel body goes,some dishwasher detergent sit it in place have some one push the screen in from outside and pull the wire from inside and they go in. Piece of piss really, done many.
    mimms2 likes this.

I'm fairly sure neat liquid detergent is corrosive on steel. Long term you may get more rust starting under the rubber seal. Just what you don't want.
    It appears you can't get the 'old' style of black windscreen sealant. That stuff that never set hard and seemed to seal better than the modern silicones? My GQ had a leaky screen, used the newer stuff and it stopped, but only for a couple of years....

Being a surfactant, detergent reduces surface tension and will allow water into places it should never get to, although it will break down over time. I'm sure there are products that will do a better job, of you are prepared to shell out some coin.
    mimms2 likes this.

Yeah, just use an auto car wash detergent or a silicone spray. Either of which will do the job and not cause rusting...