Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Windscreen/Glass Repair

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I'm fairly sure neat liquid detergent is corrosive on steel. Long term you may get more rust starting under the rubber seal. Just what you don't want.
    It appears you can't get the 'old' style of black windscreen sealant. That stuff that never set hard and seemed to seal better than the modern silicones? My GQ had a leaky screen, used the newer stuff and it stopped, but only for a couple of years....
    I use it diluted. Never had a problem, but then it's mostly underbody bushes I've done and they get a fairly regular rinsing and/or a protective coating of mud/gravel dust/ road grime.
    Some kind of sika mastic? Still used in marine industry. I'm sure I could scare some up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Yeah, just use an auto car wash detergent or a silicone spray. Either of which will do the job and not cause rusting...
    I do have silicone spray, and oil, and grease... I use it on the rest of the rubber.

Thanks for contributions all.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

I use spray silicone instead of silicone grease on any rubber component I have the misfortune of working with, way better system. Doesn't end up with a gluggy coating, no crap in it, none of the other issues with greases. Dries into the rubber over a few days as well.

If you have a good window seal you shouldn’t need lube at all

The rubber seal retained screens aren't structural. The bonded type are.
    Repairs to a screen have to be done legally by an authorised repairer and be done to a specific strength standard.
    The DIY kits aren't technically legal here.
    There are specific areas where there can be no damage at all (CVA - Critial Vision Area), and any repairs in those areas have to be done to a visual standard (different to what the repairers do) to pass a WoF - ie nothing visually seen. Basically a repair cannot be seen in the CVA to pass a WoF.

And for an extra bit of insider info....the repairers charge the insurance co's the same amount to do a repair as they do to replace the screen.

If you have ins, get glass cover while you still can. They are slowly removing that benefit from policies due to the expense of the inbuilt demisters, lane departure cameras and rain sensors etc in most modern vehicles.
    If you have a crack and want a new screen, push on the crack from the inside of the screen and watch it crack
    mimms2 likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    The rubber seal retained screens aren't structural. The bonded type are.
    Repairs to a screen have to be done legally by an authorised repairer and be done to a specific strength standard.
    The DIY kits aren't technically legal here.
    There are specific areas where there can be no damage at all (CVA - Critial Vision Area), and any repairs in those areas have to be done to a visual standard (different to what the repairers do) to pass a WoF - ie nothing visually seen. Basically a repair cannot be seen in the CVA to pass a WoF.

And for an extra bit of insider info....the repairers charge the insurance co's the same amount to do a repair as they do to replace the screen.

If you have ins, get glass cover while you still can. They are slowly removing that benefit from policies due to the expense of the inbuilt demisters, lane departure cameras and rain sensors etc in most modern vehicles.
    If you have a crack and want a new screen, push on the crack from the inside of the screen and watch it crack
    Good point about the cameras etc. With my most recent car I checked that in addition to covering the windscreen replacement they also covered the following visit to the dealership for calibration of cameras.

Make the pin hole chip a large crack,get a new screen.I have total glass insurance on patrol.New screen (tint top)about $240,new head light and replace,about $1200.Side mirrors.So $400 insurance on patrol a year cheap.

Is it really worth the muck around to save $150?
    zimmer and Cordite like this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Got a spare hunnit and fiddy bro?
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

The other side of that is that at least you take the time to get it right. My last screens through both Novus and Smith and Smith were cocked up, and as glue-in you can't do those yourself...

My work does not recommend Smith and Smith touch a vehicle ever. Their workmanship is appauling and they haven't sealed a screen correctly yet. Caused thousands of dollars of damage to ECU's. Not mention the other damage done to vehicles.
    Novus don't guarentee their workmanship if the vehicle is on-sold. It only covers the owner of the vehicle that got the screen replaced.
    Smaller screen outfits generally do a better job and are more willing to do the bit extra to keep the customer happy.
    Insurance may say you have to use a particular place that they use, but you don't. Its your car - your choice who works on it.
    Best way is to ring and get a claim number, and give that to whatever screen outfit you want to give the job.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    My thought too. But $150 is also a lot of money to save if you haven't got it.

My other thought was, if the windscreen has enough chips to fail it, it MAY also have a lot of non-failing chips and scratches. The chip fixers will likely not do anything about all the lesser chips and scratches. $150 more and a clear screen and you don't have to totally flap when you go round a corner on top of a hill and the low sun catches you out. Getting all the chips fixed seems the poorest option therefore -- unless the windscreen is near pristine except for the failing chips.
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." Groucho Marx

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    My work does not recommend Smith and Smith touch a vehicle ever. Their workmanship is appauling and they haven't sealed a screen correctly yet. Caused thousands of dollars of damage to ECU's. Not mention the other damage done to vehicles.
    Novus don't guarentee their workmanship if the vehicle is on-sold. It only covers the owner of the vehicle that got the screen replaced.
    Smaller screen outfits generally do a better job and are more willing to do the bit extra to keep the customer happy.
    Insurance may say you have to use a particular place that they use, but you don't. Its your car - your choice who works on it.
    Best way is to ring and get a claim number, and give that to whatever screen outfit you want to give the job.
    Yeah my panelbeater has a guy, does insurance work also but not a big company. Reckons he can do a sharp price. Since I probably have to have the screen out to do weld repair, might as well smash it all at the same time. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    My thought too. But $150 is also a lot of money to save if you haven't got it.
    Not that I don't have it. Just that I feel a bit ripped off since I've had a few screen through S&S, so I should be in for a loyalty discount, not a reaming. To me it kind of seemed like a "fuck off" quote... hey, if they don't need my business.
    Also it's a thing I'd like to learn to do, to add to the skills toolbox, as it were.
    But it's all good. Savage is going to front for the whole cost of the job and buy me a box for the inconvenience, aint that right savvy?
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice