Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: Bloody vomit

Bloody vomit

Just fed my dog his biscuits for dinner and I hear a coughing/choking/gagging sorta sound so I come outside to make sure he's alright and he'd vomited up some of his biscuits. That's wasn't alarming but there was some blood around the bowl and on the ground where he'd vomited, reckon its anything to worry about? He's seems happy as Larry and its only a small bit of blood. Never happened before as far as I know.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Phillip, was the blood bright or dark (goes to whether it is freshly bled or been in the stomach longer)? How old is the dog? (goes to he may have just lost an eye tooth for example). Next possibility is that in wolfing down the biscuits he could have cut/scratched his throat. There are a great deal of unknowns about your post. If he is happy then don't panic and monitor him over the next 24 hours
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It's worthwhile taking him to the vet. Damage to the esophagus can result is esophageal strictures that can cause problems long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Phillip, was the blood bright or dark (goes to whether it is freshly bled or been in the stomach longer)? How old is the dog? (goes to he may have just lost an eye tooth for example). Next possibility is that in wolfing down the biscuits he could have cut/scratched his throat. There are a great deal of unknowns about your post. If he is happy then don't panic and monitor him over the next 24 hours
    It was fresh, bright red. Again, it can't be more than a few mls, not enough to pool in his bowl or anything. He's a Golden Retriever aged 10. Mum said she gave him some chicken bones last night, maybe he cut himself on those, it healed, then he split the cut back open when he was eating really quickly or something - that wouldn't connect it to the vomit but then again it could just be a coincidence that he vomited. Yeah I'll keep an eye on him - vet's closed by now anyway.
    Yeah nah bro

Just having a look at his mouth now, the staining from the blood on his fur is only on the one side so I'm thinking the blood must be from a cut on that side - I would have thought that if it was from somewhere other than the mouth, it wouldn't come out of only one side.
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Just having a look at his mouth now, the staining from the blood on his fur is only on the one side so I'm thinking the blood must be from a cut on that side - I would have thought that if it was from somewhere other than the mouth, it wouldn't come out of only one side.
    Not necessarily

You wouldn't expect vomiting to accompany a simple cut in the mouth.

I would definitely have it checked out.

Re: Bloody vomit

Is it generally a guts? A mate that lived with me had a staffy that would wolf anything down with out even a chew. Often vomited and shit blood cos it would swallow any food whole

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Phillipgr, if your dog is 10 years old I would certainly do as RCGSP suggests...I hope he will be ok...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Vet.
    The internet can not cure a dog.
    Pointer likes this.

My old Springer scrounged a cooked shoulder blade out of the rubbish , next morning he was not happy , couldnt find a place to lie still then he vomited foamy stuff with bright blood in it , I took him to the vet, $118 later he was feeling better but wouldnt eat for 3 days , he lost 3kg and it cost me the same as feeding 2 dogs for 4 months .
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Cheers for the advice guys. I think what I'll do is I'll feed him a bit earlier today (before the vet closes), see how he goes and if it happens again we'll take him to the vet.
    Yeah nah bro

Vet its worth it

How'd it go... next time, go to the vet, probably nothing, worth playing it safe if he's a valued dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    How'd it go... next time, go to the vet, probably nothing, worth playing it safe if he's a valued dog.
    Didn't end out going to the vet. He hasn't showed any signs of illness since it happened. He's more of a valued pet than a valued dog, if you get what I'm saying. We (the family) love him to bits but the next dog we get, I'll train it to scent deer.
    Yeah nah bro