Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Brittany Spaniel

Ejected

Brittany Spaniel

Long story short, I've got one arriving on Monday. A three year old bitch via another thread here and EeeBee. Not a breed I've had anything to do with in the past but still looking forward to seeing what she can do. Wiki supplied me with a bit of history etc of the breed but I'd like to know how they like to be trained and how they like to work.
    Thinking this one won't go in with the rest of the pack for work, well not yet anyway as I'd like to play around and see what she can do.

Note: This has been a town dog with no hunting at all...

Wirehunt, I hope it all goes well for you. In general, the Brittany is very human orientated and therefore high praise. There is much written about their casting as some authors are adamant that they are not far quartering dogs, but they will vary the length of their casts as per the terrain and cover...I would suggest that you start right back at the beginning...back to the basics as they say with her.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    I figured as much. Do they tend more towards the pointing, flushing or retrieving side of thing's, or more all-rounders?

Definitely pointers. Often staunchly so, though I have only had real experience with the US model (The Brittany) and not the french Brittany Spaniel. I'm sure EB will not like the name I used but I can;t be bothered typing in foreign languages....

Good versatile dogs. The EB and the GSP are the continentals that are the closest to the English pointing dogs, certainly when comparing range. Great woodcockdogs, less "deer" dogs than a GSP. A good few of them need forced retrieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Definitely pointers. Often staunchly so, though I have only had real experience with the US model (The Brittany) and not the french Brittany Spaniel. I'm sure EB will not like the name I used but I can;t be bothered typing in foreign languages....
    All good there, Ruff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I figured as much. Do they tend more towards the pointing, flushing or retrieving side of thing's, or more all-rounders?
    Essentially the breed is hunt point and retrieve, as Hales writes, and historically was and is a fur and feather dog. Originating in the hands of the Bretagne peasants, their dogs were kept to sustain the household. He will dig out kit rabbits, demolish hedgehog nests, and help retrieve trout.
    I have found, in my experience only!! that the EB has a more intense point...some are natural retrievers and some need gentle and coercive persuasion...my bitch will NOT retrieve a cold bird as in retrieve training, but a hot bird, rabbit etc yes. The intensity of their prey drive determines the staunchness of the point...may I cite an example...a friend was after chukor, his EB was some three hundred plus metres up a craggy hill on point...he looked up the hill and went 'oh no' (it had been a long day!!!) but he was able to make his way up there because he knew that his dog would be on point as long as it took for him to get there! They will retrieve on land and water. They are high energy. Like us all, experience hones their abilities...
    I think one of the joys of owning a Brittany, be he an American, or French or a combination of the two (which is the predominant in this country) is that this dog is great around the home and I have never met one (here, Australia, North America and France) that was not was of a 'kind' disposition. While sometimes stubborn, he cannot be harshy remonstrated nor left in a kennel to fester.
    Last edited by EeeBees; 27-01-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I have had 2 and loved every minute there pointing ability is outstanding, they just keep going all day every day I would not recommend as a non hunting town dog. They are a family dog and are good around other dogs, but seam to hunt better 1 or to dogs not a pack. Trust there point even when you think there is nothing 95% of the time they are right. I have an English setter now (no regrets) But if I would get another Brittany. (this is my sons log on sorry i am Lindsay Barnett)
    Wirehunt likes this.

3 year old with no training --- big job wirehunt! yard train for obedience a must and introduce game while on a check cord .
    Lindsay Barnett likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Ejected
    It will be interesting el b. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge.

always exciting taking on a new dog .My own new ES bitch will be 15 months old when she arrives and it will be a challenge with i think
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

I used to hunt with Chris Short and he had 2 Brittany's Rusty and Lace, Both honest worker's and stayer's until they got their bird.He was a great dog man.I enjoyed his company with his dogs and mine.
    Wirehunt, Pointer and Bonecrusher like this.

Wirehunt good on ya. As Hales smut says, expect them closer to the English pointing breeds in temperament and working style. Retrieve can apparently be hit and miss. I only have a wee one here from EBs, early days but hes a cracker wee thing

The age shouldn't be a factor... the ability of the handler, combined with the natural ability of the dog is all that is required to get a result. the only thing to break this down will be a weakness on either side, guess which one is the most common????

Ejected
    Sounds good Ruff till the phone after she arrived. Had a dog whisperer onto her not long ago. Hasn't come to her name for some time. And she's is three, for another few days. LMAO.
    Oh, and she's very timid. :rolleyes: It's just getting beter all the time.
    She's got a nose though, can sniff a dog biccy out real fast. But put a gutted rabbit in front of her and it's wft?