Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Dog Trials results and thoughts

Dog Trials results and thoughts

Nothing to add here yet but there is the QC trial coming up this weekend which I am unable to attend but would very much like who ever attends to post some images and a small commentary about who and what ran and how they did .

Some interesting areas I find in these trials is the treatment by the dog and handler of the ground within Pointer and Setter trials .One expects the dog to do a fairly thorough coverage of the ground but recently I have been beaten by one dog that ran so frickeenn fast and long"very impressive speed and ranging " on the course rather than quartering the ground thoroughly I wondered had the end bird been in a completely different location would it have ever found -still it won and I lost and that's the way the cookie crumbles but in a live game trial that may have been totally different .I guess that is one of the negatives in my mind of the Pigeon trials a dog just needs to win by beating the other dog to the bird -- but still I love doing them !
    Spaniel and retriever trials -not my thing but I always appreciate great dog work no matter what breed they are -lets here about those trials to -photos -lots of photos
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Caretaker
    With undoubtably the strongest burden to cover the event el borracho one would assume you to be the best spokesperson, you only live once.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

haha I cant be at them all 7mm but certainly will add my 5 cents worth when possible !There are some good keen trialers here other than myself of course who probably can pen a better critique.And as far as living once I will be going to heaven after here -thats living twice

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Nothing to add here yet but there is the QC trial coming up this weekend which I am unable to attend but would very much like who ever attends to post some images and a small commentary about who and what ran and how they did .

Some interesting areas I find in these trials is the treatment by the dog and handler of the ground within Pointer and Setter trials .One expects the dog to do a fairly thorough coverage of the ground but recently I have been beaten by one dog that ran so frickeenn fast and long"very impressive speed and ranging " on the course rather than quartering the ground thoroughly I wondered had the end bird been in a completely different location would it have ever found -still it won and I lost and that's the way the cookie crumbles but in a live game trial that may have been totally different .I guess that is one of the negatives in my mind of the Pigeon trials a dog just needs to win by beating the other dog to the bird -- but still I love doing them !
    Spaniel and retriever trials -not my thing but I always appreciate great dog work no matter what breed they are -lets here about those trials to -photos -lots of photos
    It wouldnt be the first time that a dog running strate up the course has beaten a dog quartering the course

Its an annoying habit that should be penalized I think but that's just my thoughts personally.In a live game trial that dog could and possibly would run straight past game and get the chop quick smart although it may well treat a wild game area differently also.

But it could also win a live game trial as long as no birds flush from ground it has missed

one would hope the more thorough dog would pick them up once the less thorough dog has passed at speed -many possibilities as you would appreciate

Every format has it's faults, nothing is perfect... I do believe, personally, Live game is streets ahead... others disagree...

You also have to factor in other things too... who and what are you beating, in any format... I'll take a good win over a great dog in a pigeon trial against a win in a live game trial against pot lickers..... I have recounted before winning a race on a horse (yes i was that skinny once) that my father didn't rate at all... I came back in to weigh in and jumped off excitedly declaring to the old man... "She might be alright after all Dad"... his response was a great lesson.... Laconic Southern Man that he was...

"Glad I'm not buying the oats for the bastards that were behind her...."

She never got closer than fifth in any other race and the reality was.. to use another of the old man's great saying "You could kick your hat faster than she can run".

A win is a win, but a win beating something of merit means a lot more... Ironically it's one of the factors I used to pick Cheyenne... her father beat Brick in three trials straight, all came down to run offs between the old B&W bastard and him... and using one of Jim Clarke's axioms... "Go to what beats you".

Bigger, better best, nothing else, nothing less, breed for the dog YOU want to own.
    el borracho likes this.

Totally agree with your thoughts here Ruff. I look forward to a report on the latest QC event held today--com on RCGP-POINTER--HF1

1st and 2nd was Robyn with Kilsheelan Stellar and Coldcoats Kiwi (Harry)...

I think those are the right red dogs, can't tell the bloody things apart anyway

I got 3rd with Jem the flying German

Those 3 got QCs as well

Thoughts...

It was hot. Some dogs ran well, some dogs didn't. The first bird was tough the second had a water trough that distracted quite a few. As usual there was people there I don't get to see too often so I spent more time talking than actually watching what was going on so yeah it was a trial. If you want to know what happened get yo ass there.

Thanks Ryan,would loved to have attended but had a shooting comp to lose today--i succeeded with flying colours

well done wanker

Thoroughly enjoyed the day!! And found solace in the trap from hell carnage by calling into Scenic Cellars on the the way through Taupo to buy a bottle of Pedro Ximenez Romate...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    I take it that's some kind of booze EB?

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed the day!! And found solace in the trap from hell carnage by calling into Scenic Cellars on the the way through Taupo to buy a bottle of Pedro Ximenez Romate...
    nothing like finishing the day with a nice wine . sounded a little tricky with trap placement which is a good thing --a hard test has value