Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introducing Max

Introducing Max

Have been enjoying the new forum and thought I would add to content.

So here is Max, I have had her for about 5 months, she was 18 months when I got her. She is a GWP, full of beans as you would expect and still a young dog who is finding her feet so to speak.

I have had her hunting a couple of times, she loves Hares....not quiet what I was hoping for as in her previous life she was able to chase them, so am working real hard on a stop and recall to prevent her chasing. Amazing how bloody fast she is, was at mavora lakes 1st time out hunting and managed to chase a hare 1/2 way up to the scree line in a flash!

She has come a long way in the 5 months, really very good at heel and also recall, but when put under a lot of distraction can be naughty...so just a matter of being consistent and not letting her away with anything. One thing I have learned is give her an inch and all of a sudden she has taken the mile. I have seen her confidence grow in the last 5 months, she also has a great nose and has led me to hares 300m down gullys so just need to get her keyed on deer and we should be good.

Name:  IMG00031-20111023-1331.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  IMG00030-20111023-1330.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  102.3 KB
    Name:  IMG00032-20111023-1551.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  95.3 KB

Max has cheery eye, one of the reasons last owner let her go, so she cant be bred from and I have scince had her speyed. I have had her examined by Vet and not causing her any problems but if anybody has experience with managing this would appreciate the input. I am aware of surgery to correct but unsure if this is a good option or not, as it is only cosmetic at this stage not worried but if it gets worse may have no option but to get it done.

Cheers and looking forward to posting a picture of Max with her first deer.

Dino

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Hi Dino, know what you mean by full of beans, my WHP is a 2yr old male and after having labs all my life he's a hand full when he wants to be,settling a bit now but as you say give an inch......
    And cover some ground, man they can go.
    Eager to please though and that bodes well.

Hi Dino, good work on taking an older dog on. Good on you for speying her too.
    Hopefully you'll get years of hunting pleasure out of her, good luck

take her to a vet and get those eye's done mate.
    it's a simple nick and cut op.
    do you have any idea on the pedigree ?
    well done on getting her fixed too.