Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Puppy Stuff

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Question Puppy Stuff

Life without a dog is wrong to me, and after losing my last boy I have finally tracked down another to fill the void. Its been a while since Ive had a pup and was thinking of getting myself prepared for the onslaught. Who am I kidding, I can't wait.
    Obviously chew toys etc but is there anything you might suggest? He has a crate as I want this dog to be an outside dog and should make for an easier transition to a kennel as well as giving him his own space (I have 3 young kids who will eventually piss him off).

Hi Kiwijames, saw in the supermarket a toy for puppies/dogs...horrible thing, it had spots glued on it in places and I thought they would be the first thing to go and possibly be dangerous?? I like giving my puppies pheasant wings to play with which I save up and keep in the freezer...gets the scent up their little nostrils when so very young!!....best of luck with your new puppy...happy days...! My puppies/adults have never liked those chew things but the odd deer or pig ear (buy them from Pet Essentials) they really like...keeps the pups entertained for ages. All must agree on the commands...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Same, but different. Kennel dog... get him out there now rather than later. If you teach him he lives inside expect a heap of protest when you lock him out. i actually advise that for house dogs. Put them outside as a pup, bring them in later, then you have no issue putting them back out when you need too...

Toys??? Big arse Canon bone of the biggest ox they just killed. Nothing damaging to swallow and hours of fun... Good luck with your pup....

Banned
    I have to agree big bones pup's just lovem and the bigger the better as they drag em around the yard and get tired!

What flavor is the pup ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Puppy Stuff

Marmite.

He's a GSP via RCGSP
    Pointer and Dougie like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

nice
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

RCGSP is your best point of advice as the breeder and experienced... With dogs i reckon too many cooks spoil the broth... pick a knowledgeable mentor and go with it... your pup comes with one installed.
    veitnamcam likes this.

I reckon everything said in this thread is true,

Kennel him outside now, have 3 days protest for the rest of your life. or inside now, then put him outside and expect drama for the rest of your life.

Big bones, no doubt about it. Endless fun for young and old.

And the mentor thing, dead right. My Mrs. is going through that with her first pup. My advice to her when getting a dog was 'get one form the best bloodstock you can afford, and then get the best mentor you can' too many different ideas can spoil things, she is slowly learning that

Puppy Stuff

Im certain the bloodstock is not going to get much better in NZ. I was more after ideas on physical bits and pieces rather than advice, but it is appreciated. RCGSP will have a new hotline from Christmas on! Plus I will be asking one of our local forum members in between too.
    Is a slip type lead to early for a pup?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

KiwiJames, I think a slip lead on a puppy is not a good idea...when the lead first goes on there is often a struggle and a slip lead could be off putting to the little one...I do not use them until the youngster is at least nine months old...he needs to be under pretty good control for the slip lead so that when it is slipped off he is not going to bolt like a bat out of hell!!! Sorry, a GSP would never do that...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

cool a nice gsp would be fun to run threw a training program on ,, are you hunting birds with this dog ?

Wasn't planning to but the idea of chasing a few roosters again is sounding like a good idea. I think i may just get a nice little 20g O/U for fun.
    I don't want to be the limiting factor with this dogs potential. Ducks are a bit shit here in HB but I do have some reasonable access to chase a pheasant or two.

ebf and GSP like this.

R93
    Why did ya have to post that pic? Now I wanna quit this dusty oven, come home and and get a pup. I will email this too the cook and it will get her going

You lucky bugger James! That is one fine looking animal and has pheasants written all over that face

I want one! Let me know when you have another litter RGSP and I will beg for one.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.