Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: running dogs in potential breeding grounds during the breeding season for gamebirds

running dogs in potential breeding grounds during the breeding season for gamebirds

I know we all have different opinions on this but would like to hear what you think about it, I personally stay away from all potential breeding areas

yeah me too -I only stick to well worn public tracks which may also have birds visit it often -unlikely they would breed there though .

One must be sensible though and realize birds can breed anywhere , dont stop running you dog "just "because there is a possibility you will encounter birds --they will come back and re roost on their nests .

The only reason they don't come back is if you go touching there eggs which you'd be an idiot to do .

Common sense should be used, some of us have a little more than others
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

i don't run my dogs where any game birds are likely to be this time of the year....... ducks or pheasants.
    public tracks don't get much use during the week.... pheasants only need a day to scratch out a nest and start laying.

to actually go hunting for them for pratice this time of the year is bullshit....... go find some pigeons and a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    yeah me too -I only stick to well worn public tracks which may also have birds visit it often -unlikely they would breed there though .

One must be sensible though and realize birds can breed anywhere , dont stop running you dog "just "because there is a possibility you will encounter birds --they will come back and re roost on their nests .

The only reason they don't come back is if you go touching there eggs which you'd be an idiot to do .

Common sense should be used, some of us have a little more than others

i dont agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    i don't run my dogs where any game birds are likely to be this time of the year....... ducks or pheasants.
    public tracks don't get much use during the week.... pheasants only need a day to scratch out a nest and start laying.

to actually go hunting for them for pratice this time of the year is bullshit....... go find some pigeons and a trap.

it may even be illegel, someone correct me if im wrong. To run a live game trial out of season you need a permit to hunt game out of season

it actually is.......... disturbing a 'fully protected bird' in fact.........

I avoid 99.9% of potential nest sites.

There are some places I don't mind dogs being run like the dunes at muriwai by the golf course that are heavily trafficked anyway. The cover in the dunes is too open anyway for nesting. I just keep the dogs in the open grass and out of the heavy cover.

There are a few cosiderations , the biggest is if it is a nesting area at all . Muriwai where i train is overun by man and dog and i dont mean hunting people. Im in agreement with ryan, muriwai has way to much foot traffic in both weekend and week days for birds to nest there -it is an area of 300y x 200y it is nice tho that one can encouter the birds that fly in and out of the area occasionaly while teaching your do to quarter the land.

Years ago i use to train my dog in takapuna on a feild where the old tip was and even there i would encounter birds - its a hazard of running your dog somtimes

Upnorth Uplander, to me to go anywhere near where there is even 1% opportunity of nesting birds being found is not only unfair but unthinking (go hunt fur or vermin pigeons!!!); on my side of the river (Tutaekuri), the bird population (feral, not escapees from any preserve) is almost at a stalemate and the last thing we need is people with their dogs harassing them...I know, I know... these areas are public access and all that...as a deerstalker you dont go shooting all the fawns...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

or allowing ya pig dogs to scragg sows and suckers
    moonhunt likes this.

Muriwai is a hot spot for parvo guys,make sure you are all up to date with your shots
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    Muriwai is a hot spot for parvo guys,make sure you are all up to date with your shots
    thats not good but it is a reflection of how many mutts go there --tons day in and day out -defiantly not a nesting piece of ground .

Working on the theories in this thread I shouldn't run my dogs on the farm at all as they can be nesting anywhere on our place (literally)
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Upnorth Uplander, to me to go anywhere near where there is even 1% opportunity of nesting birds being found is not only unfair but unthinking (go hunt fur or vermin pigeons!!!); on my side of the river (Tutaekuri), the bird population (feral, not escapees from any preserve) is almost at a stalemate and the last thing we need is people with their dogs harassing them...I know, I know... these areas are public access and all that...as a deerstalker you dont go shooting all the fawns...
    Thats ridiculous , how would you know ? Birds go everywhere -fly , walk , take the bus but they are every where .Sounds like you don't want to train your dog or even take him for a walk anywhere interesting .I read you guys and think you are all just bound up in fanaticism and to be truthful if Jo wants to train his dog at XYZ and he encounters birds who gives a flying toss --there are so few Dog people that get out and train often it wouldn't make a dent in the population at all -"especially" where I train !, in fact you cant shoot in that area at all up to about 15km away up the beach