Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Question Thinking of getting a GSP, any recommendations for a breeder?

Hey, it appears a bunch of you have a much better idea of where I can start to look for a GSP.
    I lost my Vizsla a few weeks ago now and as much as I miss him I am now keen to get a new dog on the go. The wife and kids are too!
    I like the GSP and was wanting to get one from a good breeder who has not bred out the hunting drive. Can anyone recommend a good breeder? A PM would be fine. I'm in no rush but Christmas (or earlier) would be great.
    My last boy was an good hunter but I was the weak link in his progression. A decent hunter again would be a good start. I should be able to tow my end a bit better this time around too.
    I had been looking at Jim Broadbent in Keri Keri. Have met a few of his dogs and they are pretty nice.

I believe there are some good ones in Canterbury . I've got a young dog that I'm real happy with. I'm not a dog breeder so not in it for financial gain, but are involved with the hunting side of Canterbury gsp club . Can certainly help you out down these parts if you want. Pm me if you wish .

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Hey, it appears a bunch of you have a much better idea of where I can start to look for a GSP.
    I lost my Vizsla a few weeks ago now and as much as I miss him I am now keen to get a new dog on the go. The wife and kids are too!
    I like the GSP and was wanting to get one from a good breeder who has not bred out the hunting drive. Can anyone recommend a good breeder? A PM would be fine. I'm in no rush but Christmas (or earlier) would be great.
    My last boy was an good hunter but I was the weak link in his progression. A decent hunter again would be a good start. I should be able to tow my end a bit better this time around too.
    I had been looking at Jim Broadbent in Keri Keri. Have met a few of his dogs and they are pretty nice.
    Good choice of animal James. I will never be owned by another breed of dog. My situation wont allow me to get another for a while so you will be in a position hopefully to reccomend a good breeder when I can. Answer my pm as well please mate. Include your results of the last Jap trip if ya dont mind

James may I suggest giving Gail Blankely a call in Auckland she is the president of the GSP club up here and knows her stuff.
    I won the North Island feild trial pigeon champs with a GSP but prefere a Setter nowdays as I only hunt Pheasant as they are less hard headed than the Continentals -that is when I hunt .

there are a few litters in the pipeline from ryans carlsens 'quinn'
    depending on your field requirements he has plenty of bird drive, the pups will the complete oposite of an average vizsla mind.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I don't hunt birds and doubt I'll do so within another dog timeframe so the bird bit doesn't matter to me. I guess the hunting drive will overlap a lot though. Ryen Calsen is close too so I will give him a shout.