Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Visla how good are these dogs.?

Visla how good are these dogs.?

Can't help but notice how many Visla pics have seen on this site, was keen to get one but was a bit scared they may be hard to get a good one, I'm guessing not? . More than happy with my gsp but am keen to look to get another dog going in a year or two. Who breeds good hunting lines ?.As a rule Will they hunt in thick cover (gorse , matagauri)?. I'm on my third pointer ,not an expert but have a reasonable understanding of them, how do they rate on ease of training .?.

want it for birds or deer

Need a all rounder . Quail chuckar deer pigs . Needs to retrieve birds

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Can't help but notice how many Visla pics have seen on this site, was keen to get one but was a bit scared they may be hard to get a good one, I'm guessing not? . More than happy with my gsp but am keen to look to get another dog going in a year or two. Who breeds good hunting lines ?.As a rule Will they hunt in thick cover (gorse , matagauri)?. I'm on my third pointer ,not an expert but have a reasonable understanding of them, how do they rate on ease of training .?.
    Sorry for spelling forgot the z in vizsla, have I failed the iq test to own one now ?

Sorry for spelling forgot the z in vizsla, have I failed the iq test to own one now ?
    No, it actually makes you ideal
    Pointer and EeeBees like this.

Munsey, you really are a bugger for punishment arent you

Just kidding...dont know anything about the breed except that they are kind of cool looking...my sister who lives in Poland drove three hours to the Czech border to look at some owned by a hunting couple...she is besotted by the breed now...I guess they must have something....
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I like the breed, but don't know how to answer your questions so kept quiet until now... experience is subjective, what I say may not be others opinions.

Hash cover - some. I have seen a select few charge thick blackberry like it was nothing, others walk through a field of thistles on tip toes.
    Ease of training - relatively high, I think you will find them easier than your average GSP.

As for who breeds good hunting lines? This will stir the pot - There is no such thing as hunting lines in NZ, essentially every Vizsla ever imported into NZ has been from a show - orientated kennel. Some with working orientated blood infused in outcrosses but essentially no pure working blood - in fact pure working blood basically doesn't exist in the shorthaired Vizsla in it's homeland. Hungarian hunters went to the wirehair (both german and hungarian) decades ago. Now I know the show pundits will argue these lines still hunt, and I agree, they do. But it's to what degree that we can argue all day on. Regardless, if you are talking of a strictly working lined Vizsla, in the way you can buy a pure working setter/pointer/cocker/ESS, then no, they frankly don't exist. However if you ask around there are dogs around that will do all you ask of it, talk to a few owners, see where there dogs are from. Don't just look at the sticker on the box, do some homework on the dogs pedigrees and you will see a reoccuring theme in what lines are working well in NZ.

pretty good rundown on the situation on the vizsla front.
    there are still solid working lines in europe, they test under the jghv system and in european feild trials.
    a few imports of high drive working stock is all the breed needs here.

Thanks guys . He'll sounds like I'll have to do some home work. Was kind of hoping the breed had strong hunting lines, so will have plenty of time to decide. My last pointer lacked hunting drive and it sucked having to push her a lot of the time.

Kawhia is correct they are strong lines available in Europe, bu there are very few solely hunting-based Kennels in Hungary, Ie. ones that didn't show. Trialling and testing has replaced actual hunting in Hungary with all but a few breeders due to the situation with hunting there. The real deal happens next door in Slovakia - according to most people I have spoken to over there if you want a good shorthaired vizsla thats where you go.

Munsey, don't let me give you the impression that they aren't worth the time, they are. You just have to look and ask around and see what is performing - the kind of homework you would do before you got into any dog or breed I guess.
    Also, things are changing in the GSP scene here, There will be some good stuff available in the nearish future, for chukar you would want a dog with more range than a Vizsla I'm guessing? Why not another GSP?

some very good GSP lines are already here and some more on the way, i see the total of new DK {gsp} pups registered in germany is just under 1200 so the decline in the short haired breeds continues to thread down in europe....... at least for the working lines.

Agreed, now would be a great time to get some of the top notch GSP blood coming in if a shorthaired dog was a priority..

My Mum had a bitch as a pet 25 odd years ago when most people had never heard of the breed.
    She was great with us kids(all people in fact) and she used to collect the eggs one at a time from the chookhouse and bring them inside for mum
    One time one of mums finches escaped while cleaning the cage and got outside. It must have landed on a low branch somewhere because "Barley" brought it in alive to Mum in her mouth. She put it in the cage and it had a crook leg for a while but was otherwise fine!
    I shit you not.
    She passed away of old age.
    The second one was a dog given to them at around 4 years old as a problem dog.
    He must have been top of the pecking order in the litter, totaly differnt personality who had to be dominated with an Iron will.
    Dad had plans of making a deer dog out of him but his constant doing what he wanted instead of what he was told got the better of the old man.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i myself would have lived to see that second dog, if his hunt drive matched his personality he could have been what the breed needs
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Kawhia is correct they are strong lines available in Europe, bu there are very few solely hunting-based Kennels in Hungary, Ie. ones that didn't show. Trialling and testing has replaced actual hunting in Hungary with all but a few breeders due to the situation with hunting there. The real deal happens next door in Slovakia - according to most people I have spoken to over there if you want a good shorthaired vizsla thats where you go.

Munsey, don't let me give you the impression that they aren't worth the time, they are. You just have to look and ask around and see what is performing - the kind of homework you would do before you got into any dog or breed I guess.
    Also, things are changing in the GSP scene here, There will be some good stuff available in the nearish future, for chukar you would want a dog with more range than a Vizsla I'm guessing? Why not another GSP?
    I'm thinking that , stick with whats working for me. I have a 2 &1/2 year old gsp who blows me away how good he's going. Still early days but, he's not put a paw wrong. Maybe should get a gsp bitch to carry his blood lines on and hunt. I've never had two pointers to work over at the same time as was worried that it could be a hand full. Have done some research and some say they can complement each other. Im keen to have some feed back if you or anyone else can put there experiences forward. I have hunted with other pointers of other hunters but its never worked out that well,I'm thinking they need that connection when they kennel together .?
    Cheers
    Dean