Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Last of the Summer Wine Forum Hunt

Banned
    I was probably drunk. When is this event scheduled for? Is it to be rolled into the same time as the Big Bore thing?

Banned
    Currently only nailed down as far as "after Easter". Not sure the big bore event has a date yet?

Big bore is last weekend in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Currently only nailed down as far as "after Easter". Not sure the big bore event has a date yet?
    Easter Monday is 22Nd April so late this year... Might make it depending on work

Banned
    Okay, after the roar then. Roger that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I have not run anything on the forum for a long time so it is time to dust of the organizational skills and see what mischief we can come up with.

Centered in the upper part of the delightful Waitaki Valley I have obtained, for the forums use, as Winery and Vineyard. The Vineyard is sufficiently large to swallow a whole forum worth of tents, or there is accommodation locally. You can sleep in the factory if you want to, we will have the run of the place.

We will have the use of the cafe/restaurant and kitchen and just for fun my wife will fire up the restaurant for a grand feast for all attendees. The restaurant will take somewhere between 80-120 people. I would like this to be something of a gathering for everyone. A sort of forum general meeting if you will. It is a pretty neat facility in a great location for a big forum get together, with the added bonus that it is completely free.
    Attachment 105514

This is in the spirit of the first ever forum gathering. Way back in I can't remember when. Took me forever to retrieve this image. That is a few girlfriends ago and I have no idea where that cat came from, but this is the first ever forum BBQ in New Zealand's history (North Islanders will claim they were first of course). Back in those days one did not just meet people from the internet unless one was a pervert, so we all sat around wondering (openly) which one of us was a psycho-killer. It was the start of many good meet ups and after a few drinks and a feed (venison) we went inside and spent the rest of the night on MapToaster (cutting edge technology) looking at hunting spots. Might have been 2004?
    Attachment 105516
    Attachment 105515

The only conditions are that some of you buy some wine, and that we show the general manager a good time and take him hunting. He is from Uruguay and has only been hunting once in NZ, so he is keen. There will be a cost of some sort, which will go to paying for dinner. We will also stock the restaurant bar specifically for the event.

I have yet to begin finding hunting, but the winery is located at Kurow and backs onto the Waitaki River, so we should be able to come up with some options. It will be available after Easter and a forum duck shoot could be a lot of fun. I can get a lot of people onto decent water and we have 50 duck limits and serious numbers.
    Who'se who? left to right?

Banned
    First on the left there is a poster whose name I forget who was on the old forum, no longer active. Then there is what looks like someone's girlfriend, long forgotten no doubt, then there is me, looking very young, and then Wirehunt. Tussock must be taking the photo. It's about 2005 I think.

If we can get the deep south people out to this winery for a forum gathering, it would be the most magnificent one yet.
    7mmsaum, Tussock and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    If we can get the deep south people out to this winery for a forum gathering.
    How far south....

Banned
    I'm thinking we need to ask admin for a private section so I can explain the part I don't want showing up on Google.

We need a hunters feast on the calendar. I think late May to early June would be ideal.

I want to do this again.
    Name:  Wedding meat.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  278.8 KB

Banned
    Helli Hunting

Been talking to a local pilot. There are hunting blocks within a very short flight from the Winery/Kurow and reasonable deer numbers and some cool huts.

Just gauging interest here, if there were a couple of parties it would bring the costs way down. The idea is to do a very cheap heli hunt just for fun. Would be an over night trip, or two nights depending on what people want, and then back to the Winery for dinner.
    tetawa likes this.

You were also mentioning ducks earlier. That would take the timing into May.
    Perhaps some sort of draft itinerary might focus some ideas?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    You were also mentioning ducks earlier. That would take the timing into May.
    Perhaps some sort of draft itinerary might focus some ideas?
    I am actually thinking June.

Possible activities
    Duck shooting. I can feed some ponds. We can buy a few ton of cheap barley.
    Opening of my new Rifle range and first official round of Kiwi Riflecross https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....45/#post802094
    Deer hunts on public and possibly private land. Possible heli-hunt option. If we could get 5-10 participants I think the price will be $50-100 each. More than that and I don't see the point.
    Wallabies and varmints (I need to call some land owners)
    A small gun show. The Winery is a good setting for people to lay guns out and talk about them as well as a bit of trading.
    veitnamcam, Woody, Tommy and 1 others like this.

A good excuse for a SI trip too
    Woody likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Sounding better and better....

Im keen if I have any annual leave by then.
    Tussock likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.