Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Tarata Medium Range and 22LR Field Shoot

Tarata Medium Range and 22LR Field Shoot

The Tarata Medium Range event will be held on a property outside of Tarata, in Taranaki on the 21st and 22nd of November. This event involves a centre fire course on the Saturday and a rim fire course on the Sunday. The centre fire course will be broken down into a Hunter class (25 shots, targets out to ~300m) and an Open class (50 shots, targets out to 600m). We will allow calibres up to 300WinMag for the centre fire event. The rim fire event will be strictly limited to 22LR only and will involve some moving targets and longer distance targets, although the majority of targets will be between 10m and ~80m. Competitors will complete the courses in squads of three or four. Limited entries to both events.

Still have quite a few details to sort out with this event and I will announce those details closer to the date. For example I am thinking about making the centre fire open class an unlimited round count and just use time limits and round count to score - see how that changes people approaches to stages!

Also a large proportion of the funds raised from this event will go to the Taranaki Sporting Shooter Hub (name to be confirmed) – a new range facility we are looking at here in Taranaki.

Get in touch with myself if you are interested in coming along for one or both days for the Tarata event. Entries are only valid once they have been confirmed by myself or one of the other organisers.

Feel free to check out the facebook page for announcements and the youtube channel for videos. I'll post updates here as well. Of course any queries just get in touch.

Tarata Video from a couple of years ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlaxWVGang

Mentions:
    @bikerblokee, @Philipo, @Bagheera, @PERRISCICABA, @ChrisF
    Kscott, Blaser and WallyR like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

ebf
    You should have taken video of the weather last year

Awesome event and very friendly hosts.

Round count idea sounds interesting...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The main problem with the round count idea is it fundamentally takes a big step away from the "hunters" mind set: it is the first shot that counts...

As I discussed it with @scoped having unlimited shots allows the competitors to choose their own round count. The people that want to pull the trigger heaps will be able to do so, the people that want to focus on the precision element can do so, the people that may not have their drop data sorted will get more opportunity to make up for this (within the time limits of course), and unlimited round count will also force the experienced competitors to make a choice under the time limit to continue with a target they are missing or move onto another target while they still have time.

Anyways still thinking about it. Any input would be welcome though.

ebf
    Having the option of firing multiple shots would benefit newbies. With the first couple of your shoots I found it to be a significant learning curve... Maybe look at scoring where first shot hit counts more, and subsequent shots progressively less ? so you still only have one scoring shot, but can use multiple attempts to get that scoring shot. Max 3 shots, scores of 10, 6 & 4 ?

The element of deciding to keep shooting or use time elsewhere would add a very good strategic thinking component.

While most competitors are hunters, some are not. At the moment I am pretty much 100% focussed on target shooting, this form of comp to me is just target shooting on a more dynamic and challenging course than I typically get.

I guess the other option would be to allow people to enter in a "practise mode" where they have unlimited rounds and get some help from other competitors to get their shit sorted...
    WallyR likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Will see if I'm off work. Looks good.

Pretty keen on this Gillie. Please keep me posted.
    I am not familiar at all with your old or new proposed rules and how they work. Some more detail on how it all works would be appreciated please.

Email me directly if that is more appropriate Gillie.

Cheers.

hi Gillie please put me down for 3 entries for both days

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I am not familiar at all with your old or new proposed rules and how they work. Some more detail on how it all works would be appreciated please.
    Old rules were pretty simple - use what ever you wanted to carry (within the caliber restriction). At each stage you are told what targets to shoot at and how many shots at each. You are given a shooting location and then any specific stage rules i.e no prone, no tripods, stage specific time limit, etc. All stages are a standing start, you have to range the target(s) set yourself up, and shoot at them within the time limit.

Proposed rules would be very similar except you are told how many hits on each target for a stage will contribute to your score and you will be able to fire as many shots as you want to to get those hits. Your score is then factored based off the minimum shots required versus how many you actually fired. All stages have a strict time limit and once that time is finished you pack up and move on regardless if you have your hits or not. Only other real change is that this year i might give out the target ranges and reduce the stage time limits because of this.

I would be keen for the hunter class day.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah Im keen Gillie, But I think Im away chasing Reds in the SI that weekend. ( Gees my life is full of bad timing lol ) Will keep you posted.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Hi @Gillie, please put me in, I will follow this thread with a special attention, I must start to sort out my "money tickets" to go up your way.

Thank you for the invitation, this old man will have a blast if he make it. Lol!

Cheers

Mac

Keen @Nibblet ? I'll put in for some leave.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Keen @Nibblet ? I'll put in for some leave.
    If ican sort my shit out then yeah

Put me and @Nibblet down for an entry each if possible.

Anywhere to pitch a tent down there?

@Woody and me for Hunter maybe! What's your thoughts Graham?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough