Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1 person tent options

1 person tent options

Looking for a suitable 1 person tent sub $500

I’m currently eyeing up a Zempire Atom 1 person tent $249 which weighs 1.7 kg and a Tatonka Koli $349 which also weighs 1.7 kg

Keen to know what your experiences both good and bad are for those who own and use these tents.

Any other good options out there?

Friend has one of these with nylon interior and 30d tarp rates it hightly. Was looking at 2 man one myself.
    https://dwights.co.nz/collections/ad...oondie-1-nylon
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

MacPac one man ultralite is worth a look, around 1.5 - 1.6kg from memory

Tricky, and my apologies if I'm taking things off-topic somewhat, because what is acceptable as enough space for one person is a question of personal preference. If I was going through the same decision making process as yourself, my first decision would be to decide on the acceptable square metreage and layout of the floor. Are you OK with a glorified sleeping bag cover, or do you like to spread your stuff out a bit ? Only then within that group would I narrow things down based on (what to me) would be secondary considerations such as weight, likely longevity, wind tolerance, usable vestibule, ease of assembly, etc, depending on application. I say this because I currently carry a Mapac Minaret - nominally a 2-person tent just for myself - and I would be disinclined to go much smaller. Even then it has what I consider to be a poor vestibule for cooking in adverse conditions, and only at one end.
    Last edited by Puffin; 18-09-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Bushbuck solo. 1.48kg and 8k waterproof $249. Dont know much about this tent but it did attract my attention as I am also looking but wont be buying until xmas.

FWIW I bought an Atom of T/M for about $150.
    Was in very good nick. Not flash but does the job.

Zepheros 2 $329 great tent I use one all the time

Just my opinion but the difference in weight between a good lightweight 2 person and a 1 person tent is so minimal, you are better off getting a 2 person tent and having the extra room.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 19-09-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Chur Bay, stevodog, norsk and 1 others like this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Just my opinion but the difference in weight between a good lightweight 2 person and a 1 person tent is so minimal, you are better off getting a 2 person tent and having the extra room.
    Not sure I agree with this. If you spend 90% of your time solo hunting or tramping, a 1-person tent will be a) lighter b) warmer (less volume).

If it is mostly 2 people, you split weight in terms of tent, stove etc, so it evens out. When it is 1 person, every gram makes a difference.
    Seventenths and hotsoup like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. If you spend 90% of your time solo hunting or tramping, a 1-person tent will be a) lighter b) warmer (less volume).

If it is mostly 2 people, you split weight in terms of tent, stove etc, so it evens out. When it is 1 person, every gram makes a difference.
    Agreed. As well as a smaller footprint when setting up

I have this one

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/hornet/

I was sceptical as to it's rigidity in a side wind being a single pole design but it's surprisingly good.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

The Zempire is a nice little tent, good waterproof ratings for its price. Doesnt have much of a vestibule which is it's only downside.
    scottrods likes this.

Ned
    I've got a macpac microlight, now about 30 years old. Probably needs the seam sealing redone. Very sturdy. Nice small footprint. Good height in the middle. the diagonal vestibule is plenty of room to stash a pack and boots out of the weather and you've still got room inside for bits and pieces. I think it says something that the design although some of the finer details have been refined, is pretty much the same still today. It's made for NZ conditions. I have a macpac cocoon also which will still get some use, but the microlight is a great middle ground between being a sturdy/packable 1 man tent with some usable space inside.

I’m looking at getting a it’s a orson raider xl1 1.6kg decent waterproof ratings and a good size vestibule

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Looking for a suitable 1 person tent sub $500

I’m currently eyeing up a Zempire Atom 1 person tent $249 which weighs 1.7 kg and a Tatonka Koli $349 which also weighs 1.7 kg

Keen to know what your experiences both good and bad are for those who own and use these tents.

Any other good options out there?

I had the zempire atom and sold it. Was strong enough but the entrance is tiny, and a west coast trip, trying to get in and store wet gear in the vestibule was awful.