Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 18650 rechargable batteries

Huk

18650 rechargable batteries

Will someone please tell me how the protected version of these differs from the unprotected and what are they protecting thanks Huk

The protection circuit usually protects from over current, over voltage and under voltage states. Some will do over temperature as well.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

whats the petrol method? wouldn't turps work better?
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    Will someone please tell me how the protected version of these differs from the unprotected and what are they protecting thanks Huk
    Yeah apparently these puppies can overheat and explode or at least burn... ?? The protection is a little chip which monitors the battery and prevents such an event. The protected ones are a little bit longer - because of the chip. Apparently you can cut it off and use it without but why would you?

It is very, very rare for name brand 18650's to explode (they wont simply burn though!).

Even the best PCBs can suck 10% or more of the battery life, current and voltage but its worth it if you run a heap of batteries in series, run them in reverse in an unprotected light, or just plain misuse them.

Chris
    gadgetman likes this.

Huk
    Thanks for the replys guys have both for my torch but wasnt sure about using the unprotected ones in it but sounds like should be ok

The general rule is only use protected cells in multi cell torches to avoid over discharge.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The one application unprotected cells are recommended to be used is in a dive torch.

I have been frustrated with the cheap trustfire/ultrafire batteries not behaving. where is the best place to get the panasonics?

gadgetman and Pengy like this.

That's a good price crnkin posted from Fasttech. These are slightly more expensive, but they'll probably ship faster. I've bought heaps of stuff from this seller (name is Simon) and the average time to arrive at my door from the time of order is about 10 days

Grotto
    I got some from Batteryworx in Onehunga. They repack power tool batteries. The batteries have no brand on them but the guy reckoned they are as good as you can get (reckoned there was no point in using anything else as the labour cost of re packing is 90% of the cost). They last as long as the NCR ones I got, and we're only $6 each. They are flat top, but I just siliconed a copper washer on one.

That sounds dodgy as all balls.

Are there any markings on the batteries at all? Do you have a pic of them? Might be re wrapped tho I spose.

Chris

Grotto
    Batteries are plain blue with a sticker saying "7.4 wh 800 cycle times". Don't thinks there's anything dodgy about them, he's been repacking power tool batteries for years so must be doing something right. Wouldn't imagine he'd still be in business if he was using crap batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Grotto View Post
    Batteries are plain blue with a sticker saying "7.4 wh 800 cycle times". Don't thinks there's anything dodgy about them, he's been repacking power tool batteries for years so must be doing something right. Wouldn't imagine he'd still be in business if he was using crap batteries.
    @Grotto Simpower in Auckland do exactly the same thing, repack. Had a battery drill battery done. They increased the capacity over the original as well and it cost less than a new battery. Also bought a replacement laptop battery and cell phone batteries off them. They also don't use/sell crap batteries. In the case of my drill they were Sony cells.