Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sneeze

Thread: 2 way satellite communicator.

2 way satellite communicator.

inreach from Delorme.
    I had been thinking about a lot of the places we go and how handy sat com would be. I was initially going to bite the bullet and get a phone but this looked like a much cheaper option.
    ( Alongside a iphone 4s )
    Name:  IMG_0090.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  371.6 KB

Weighs 189 gms. Works on the iridium system, has tracking, text messaging,and sos option although it works through Texas they quote average response times averaging 11 mins anywhere in the world. Hopefully i wont have to test it but can text locally as a back up I guess. Internal battery life seems very good, I used it 2-3 times a day for a week and it dropped 30%

Messaging from the unit is a little retarded, selecting characters with a curser but wwowrks well. Puting in contacts direct to to the inreach is a little slow and you need to add +64 and drop the zero.As a better option you can pair it with a smart phone etc which lets you view maps, send texts etc direct from your phone. Just down load the free earthmate app, pair it and your good to go. It adjusts the prefix from your phones contact list as well so its much quicker.

Name:  IMG_0092.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  337.3 KB
    I havn't played with the mapping yet but first impressions I wont be leaving the Garmin at home.
    Cost was $540.00 NZ which is ok I think but it works on a monthly sub of $23.00US a Month which includes 20 texts and 100 track points . $1.00 per text after that. I had it on Stewart Island for a week and it performed as it should. All messages went through and replies came in a timely manner.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Interesting gadget there Sneeze. Who monitors the signal ? Hopefully it is a dedicated rescue co ordination centre
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Interesting gadget there Sneeze. Who monitors the signal ? Hopefully it is a dedicated rescue co ordination centre
    Yes it its the GEOS alliance. 24/7 monitoring so they tell me

It is a bit expensive to run for my taste, but I can see the benefit in some circumstances.
    Think I will stick with my PLB for now.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yeah seems there's no free lunch if want 2 way . Works out about NZ $6.75 a week so Ill see how much use it gets.