Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 90-100cm ice axe

90-100cm ice axe

Have been looking into an ice axe to double as a bit of a walking stick. Haven’t been able to find anything in NZ. Do any of you Gear gurus know of any light weight ice axes being made in that 90-100cm category. Was thinking along the lines of these https://smcgear.com/kobah-ice-axe-100cm.html. But in NZ. Cheers!

7mmwsm, rugerman and Dublin like this.

@c-dog they look like what I’m after. Never seen them before. Thanks for that

MSL
    They’d be ok at $100, but I’d be disappointed if I’d paid full price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    I use an Ice axe as a walking stick when doing tops missions if running my rifle in a scabbard, they're awesome & so handy especially for using as a pick when pulling ya self up steep bits.

I'm a midget so easy for me to sort something, doesn't help you out but hopefully you can find something they work great as an alround tool
    Backsteaks likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

LBD
    and when using it as a walking stick... get a little length of webbing and make a sling to attach it to your wrist... you do not want to drop it when you need it and watching it slide off into the distance.... or, you do not want it stuck in the ice when you loose your footing, watching it shrink into the distance as you accelerate down the slope with nothing to self arrest with.

This is the voice of experience speaking.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    I use an Ice axe as a walking stick when doing tops missions if running my rifle in a scabbard, they're awesome & so handy especially for using as a pick when pulling ya self up steep bits.

I'm a midget so easy for me to sort something, doesn't help you out but hopefully you can find something they work great as an alround tool

Hahaha I missed out the "summer" bit.

Name:  Ice axe.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  192.3 KB
    rugerman, Backsteaks and RV1 like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    They’d be ok at $100, but I’d be disappointed if I’d paid full price.

What makes you say that @MSL ? And i suppose they can put any price they want on them since there is bugger all else out

MSL
    I took one one a 10 day Tahr trip. Not as solid as a true ice axe, and not as good as a proper walking pole. Some people rave about them, but I think the construction is a little flimsy/cheap. Very light though.

I have a Black Diamond Raven, a very lightweight ice axe. I'm vertically challenged so the fact they only go p to 900mm is fine for me, and I have used it in anger to save my life

I needed to really save my life on a ice bridge between Long Gully and the Narrows block in Fiordland - dear old Mauser Kurz barrel stabbed through ice too thick and tough to kick steps in did the trick - twice! The Swedish guys with me declined to try crossing and we retraced our weary steps back without getting into our block . ...

Not an ice axe but a whippet could be another option https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/bl...hoCYqcQAvD_BwE

I've always wanted one of these: https://barneyssports.com/product/st...-pole-ice-axe/ since I saw them with the Kuiu founder. A new model of mtn stick is on my radar in the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I've always wanted one of these: https://barneyssports.com/product/st...-pole-ice-axe/ since I saw them with the Kuiu founder. A new model of mtn stick is on my radar in the New Year.
    As in a new model coming out in the new year @Tikka7mm08?