Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Advice on lightweight spacious 1-2 man tent?

Advice on lightweight spacious 1-2 man tent?

Looking for some advice on a lightweight 1-2 man tent to fit me, dog and pack(probably under the vestibule). Something 2kg max and not to expensive that can sneak past the wife!

I've got a bushbuck Horizon 8000 that pretty much fits what you need (mine fits me, and the dog) and the pack is outside the vestible), especially if you get it on sale (just like Briscoes stuff though, never pay full price and wait for a sale!). I'm sure there are similar type tents out there for that price point or cheaper.
    Ruger7mm and Nighniz like this.

under 2kgs...go to the warehouse.....your options are endless...a simple dome tent will fit you,pack and the dog with ease,square in floor so dead easy to put up,cant stuff it up,will handle one hell of a lot of wind,if thinking its going to be extremely wet,put simple fly over top and peg it down on its on...NOTHING short of a tornado is going to shift that if pegged down properly. Ive watched these tents flatten to ground in wind and pop back up again.
    rugerman and timattalon like this.

I waited years to find a huntech bivy..the simple loop/tunnel jobbie,perfect for two fellas and dog,3 at a squeaze.... light enough,bombproof and again simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I waited years to find a huntech bivy..the simple loop/tunnel jobbie,perfect for two fellas and dog,3 at a squeaze.... light enough,bombproof and again simple.
    Yeah, forgot about that option. I got a second hand one just before Christmas. Simple and practical set up. The dog loved the extra room!
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you don't want to spend much ($200ish), still want a decent tent and are prepared to wait for delivery consider a Mongar. It's basically the MSR Hubba Hubba, Bushbuck Horizon but costs much less.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....a-clone-66856/
    dannyb likes this.

Yer that Mongar looks good, do you know anything about the Cloud up 2?

Yer I think the Nature Hike Cloud up 1 is the same thing but a bit cheaper! But good to know it’d work also

I like sleeping under a fly with me dog. Way more room. I have a Rab Siltarp.
    Micky Duck and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Cloud Up has sloped where as the Mongar/Hubba Hubba/Horizon/etc much more vertical walls. Useful on wet days, changing clothes, etc however catches wind a bit more.

Can confirm that the huntechz are in fact not bombproof and a good February Rain and wind storm can break the poke and tear the fly. Great for low wind and below the tree line.
    Only shelter I've had fail and only time I've whipped out the emergency bivy.

To answer the question the naturehike opalus 2 which is 1.8kgs $270 spacious as hell and pretty bloody weather proof. I've used the tent it's a clone of, the exped CeTus UL 2 for ages and its great but they discontinued it recently. Has a massive front vestibule great for wet weather entry's.
    If I didn't have a Cuben tent I'd buy another. I'm considering buying one to replace my trusty Macpac Minaret as my backup tent
    hotsoup likes this.

Tarpent
    Scarp 1 is 1.5man, 1.4kg
    Scarp 2 is 2man, 1.6kg

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Can confirm that the huntechz are in fact not bombproof and a good February Rain and wind storm can break the poke and tear the fly. Great for low wind and below the tree line.
    Only shelter I've had fail and only time I've whipped out the emergency bivy.

To answer the question the naturehike opalus 2 which is 1.8kgs $270 spacious as hell and pretty bloody weather proof. I've used the tent it's a clone of, the exped CeTus UL 2 for ages and its great but they discontinued it recently. Has a massive front vestibule great for wet weather entry's.
    If I didn't have a Cuben tent I'd buy another. I'm considering buying one to replace my trusty Macpac Minaret as my backup tent
    well I always pitch tent in sheltered position...and would put low end into wind if had not a lot of shelter to be had....Ive seen many photos of the things loaded with snow...99% sure the Duleys were using them in the early days .
    Im more than happy with mine,but each to thier own. Ive been inside colman family tent at lake opuha and watched 15mm thick fibreglass poles shatter,the replacement tent had many more tie down points and didnt fail in similar conditions.... as said earlier sometimes the simple dome tent with basic X poles are able to stand up to extremes as they have give in them,flatten down and pop back up,bit unnearving laying in bed with roof bopping you on the bum...but they will handle one hell of a lot of wind.
    Stocky likes this.

well I always pitch tent in sheltered position...and would put low end into wind if had not a lot of shelter to be had....Ive seen many photos of the things loaded with snow...99% sure the Duleys were using them in the early days .
    Im more than happy with mine,but each to thier own. Ive been inside colman family tent at lake opuha and watched 15mm thick fibreglass poles shatter,the replacement tent had many more tie down points and didnt fail in similar conditions.... as said earlier sometimes the simple dome tent with basic X poles are able to stand up to extremes as they have give in them,flatten down and pop back up,bit unnearving laying in bed with roof bopping you on the bum...but they will handle one hell of a lot of wind.
    I was happy with mine also. Im not calling you out but worth putting there so someone doesn't read bombproof and think it really is in the league of a 4 season tent. They are good for their purpose just not bombproof.
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Tarpent
    Scarp 1 is 1.5man, 1.4kg
    Scarp 2 is 2man, 1.6kg
    Stratospher li
    scottrods likes this.