Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Advice on multi tools

Advice on multi tools

Looking at buying a new multi tool for work. I want something full size and am thinking about the Leatherman Wave. Any other good options anyone could suggest?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Have a wave and like it, got a gerber recently and just doesnt feel quite the same, maybe im not used to it but the ergonomics arent there. Dont bother with sheffield or the knock offs, they all die at the moment you need them.

Leatherman has taken a beating for the last 10years and still no issues. Old man has had his almost 20, he did send it away to get refurbished though. New knife and saw blade put on and a bit of tlc
    Shearer and dannyb like this.

I have used a wave for over 15year and have moved to a surge middle of last year. I have broken the wave a few times (abuse by me) and it’s been replaced every time no questions asked. The only reason I’ve changed to the surge is I bought it cheap and the belt pocket on my wave has worn out.
    I recommend the one with the replaceable harden cutter inserts.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

100% the leather man, they are a step up from gerber etc. Worth the cash, I've had the s30v version for 10 years and it still works mint. Been through the ringer in that time too

Yup go the leatherman. In my mind the wave is perfect now that it has replaceable wire cutters.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I had a leatherman, it was good till I lost it or it was nicked not sure which.
    I had a kilmajaro it was good till I dropped it overboard.
    Still have a sheffild, it was cheap and its not very good quality but its better than the ones I dont have.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have leatherman waves untill they get lost or pinched.The most versatile multi tool I had was a Kershaw one.It was a pair of vicegrips with a knife and screw driver etc in the handle.A bit big for your belt but really handy to have in the car
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

can do you one of these, hardly used no wear
    https://www.guncity.com/leatherman-m...ti-tool-244606

Had a Leatherman wave for work. It got a thrashing, and didn't miss a beat. Liked it so much, I bought one for personal use.
    Only thing that broke was the screwdriver bits (especially the jewelry sized one) because I was using the wrong tool for the prescribed job. I bought a set of correct bits, and there were a lot less breakages after that.
    Mine is one of the ones finished in matte black, but is S/S underneath the coating. Turns out the coating is quite tough, and the whole tool handles immersion in sea water. After sea water immersion, it really needs a fresh water bath, otherwise everything gums up with dried out salt.
    The only thing that is showing any corrosion is the rivet on the belt pouch.
    After 10 years, I'm still happy with it's performance and longevity.
    Have a sheffield stainless I leave in the boat just to undo shackles. Every other function on it has failed after a couple of years.
    The Leatherman works out cheaper per year than the competition.

+ 1 on the Wave. Usually goes on my belt kit in a little pouch and has even quartered an animal when I somehow forgot to take my main blade.

Find I use it heaps around the house when can't be f@cked looking for tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Find I use it heaps around the house when can't be f@cked looking for tools.
    This.... Or in the truck where the toolbox is buried at the bottom

ive got 3 leathermans and accesories -wouldnt go anywhere without em .they dont call me mcgyver for nothing-guns to watches yup fixed em all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I had a leatherman, it was good till I lost it or it was nicked not sure which.
    I had a kilmajaro it was good till I dropped it overboard.
    Still have a sheffild, it was cheap and its not very good quality but its better than the ones I dont have.
    Well I thought it was impossible to lose a cheap shit tool but the sheffield went from the center console to out the passenger window in a boggy creek when the hilux I was driving decided it needed a wee lye down.

So I guess Ill be getting another Leatherman and probably another couple of cheap shitters for boat use.
    Shearer and 223nut like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well I thought it was impossible to lose a cheap shit tool but the sheffield went from the center console to out the passenger window in a boggy creek when the hilux I was driving decided it needed a wee lye down.

So I guess Ill be getting another Leatherman and probably another couple of cheap shitters for boat use.
    That's a bugger VC. Still better than loosing another expensive one though I guess.
    My lovely wife has bought me a Wave+ for my birthday so my problem has been solved.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

GC waitangi day sales, leatherman wave for $100