Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

anyone had experience with hanwag boots?

ok so I started a thread a week or two back regarding boots...........have found these at smiths city................has anyone had any experience with these boots?............appear to be well constructed good price too if buying via CRT/Farmlands card....... Tatra Top GTX® Triglav GTX® would appreciate any info on them.........fucking comfy both pairs and both pairs have their pros and cons tatra has cemented construction where triglav is double stitched tatra has a rand where triglav don't.......tatra is higher but has a shitload on pieces in the upper vs triglav with fewer but lower both appear to have good ankle support and are both fully resolable and it can be done here.......... hanwag is as far as I can figure the parent company of lowa in a sense...........apparently there were a couple of brothers related to the founder of hanwags hans wagner and one of them took over the family business and the other formed lowa............well that's wat I can figure anyhow.........they've been around for 90 years and im picking they should be pretty good........your thoughts please either way tatra or triglav
    cheers
    matt
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they are made by the brother who started Lowa. Im sure that's what I was told.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Well went and tried both pairs on again.... Tatras were sposed to be the wide version but I have my doubts as they never stated that on the box....just tatra top..... Anyhow they bloody nice and the only thing that stopped me was my little toe was a little cramped....sposed to be a B/C graded boots and I would say if they had fitted better I'd be wearing them.. The soles are probably more suitable for bush and a little bit of high country work.. Hanwag informed me that they (both pairs) have no PU in sole units so that is better for longevity..... I've gone with the Triglavs and they feel amazing on my feet....the tatras are built at one of the companies factories in Europe..... Maybe Croatia Romania or Hungary but built with exacting standards..... Beautiful boots.... The triglavs are built in their German factory as are all the welted sole boots and are German perfection totally..... Got to get some of their leather care products and get the outlaw to stick em on the CRT card.... Yay.....gonna pick up some new gaiters as my old pair are on their last legs...pair of huntech when they first used stealth suede about 18 or 20 years ago....

Just seen this, i have the alaska GTX. Awesome boot, really comfortable, is staning up to the high country shingle and what not too. Couldnt be happier

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Just seen this, i have the alaska GTX. Awesome boot, really comfortable, is staning up to the high country shingle and what not too. Couldnt be happier
    thanks for the reply man awesome to hear good comments bout the boots.....the only reason I never went with the Alaska was the whole PU midsole thing ...........If you've read my other thread you will understand long story short my asolos which I used to love wearing and only lasted 2 1/2 years had PU midsole....PU will crumble at an undetermined rate.......I got two years out of mine others have had one or two trips...some people have them for 8 to 10 years........for me this was an issue.....I played with the thoughts of many different boots before coming to this decision..........wifes releaved because she was getting stroppy bout my "boot research obsession" over the last few weeks
    never mind at least the importers of hanwag have had the insight to make the sole units available to resole.......cost approx. 70 to 80 bucks I think this is bloody reasonable......the triglavs have a alpha cellulose midsole......dunno wat the fuck this is exactly but is said to be very stable..............I turned down the gronell stelvios only because I wanted a multi purpose boot and for me a stiff boot like the stelvio is more suited to high country and not really bush stalking.......well that's my thoughts anyhow everyone likes something different.....may look at some in a few years once the shock of how much these have cost has been forgotten by the wife.....lol.............

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    thanks for the reply man awesome to hear good comments bout the boots.....the only reason I never went with the Alaska was the whole PU midsole thing ...........If you've read my other thread you will understand long story short my asolos which I used to love wearing and only lasted 2 1/2 years had PU midsole....PU will crumble at an undetermined rate.......I got two years out of mine others have had one or two trips...some people have them for 8 to 10 years........for me this was an issue.....I played with the thoughts of many different boots before coming to this decision..........wifes releaved because she was getting stroppy bout my "boot research obsession" over the last few weeks
    never mind at least the importers of hanwag have had the insight to make the sole units available to resole.......cost approx. 70 to 80 bucks I think this is bloody reasonable......the triglavs have a alpha cellulose midsole......dunno wat the fuck this is exactly but is said to be very stable..............I turned down the gronell stelvios only because I wanted a multi purpose boot and for me a stiff boot like the stelvio is more suited to high country and not really bush stalking.......well that's my thoughts anyhow everyone likes something different.....may look at some in a few years once the shock of how much these have cost has been forgotten by the wife.....lol.............
    I just liked the look and feel of them haha. Did no research whatsoever

I just liked the look and feel of them haha. Did no research whatsoever
    learnt that lesson the hard way with the asolos.

I would give a vote for the Hanwag Alaska GTX but first and foremost go with what are comfortable for your feet.

I've done many miles in my Alaska GTX over the past few months, trails, side hill, scree, talus, alpine rock climbing and glacier travel with strap on crampons. The high rubber rand helps with protecting the leather upper from rock damage and adds more water proofing in snow.

Would not consider these for serious mountaineering but an excellent all round boot for bush, tops and alpine hunting.

He this helps.
    Last edited by KiwiinSeattle; 17-10-2014 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot