Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bayonets, flick knives, knuckle dusters etc...in nz?

Hi

Re: Bayonets, flick knives etc...

Did a quick Google search, found nz police and customs websites.

My understanding is that bayonets, flick knives, knuckle dusters etc... can't be imported. However from what I've read, there's nothing illegal against owning these in nz, you just cant bring them into the country. And you can't carry them around on person without a valid reason (I guess the only one I could think of would be between your car and a military arms show/convention for collectors?) Am I reading this one right?

you can bring them in with an import permit. you will probably need a good reason though.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    you can bring them in with an import permit. you will probably need a good reason though.
    That's how it appears. How about just buying one that's already here in nz? Or been in possession of one if say your grandfather dies and you find a bayonet in his garage? Or if you make some brass knuckles in your garage?

You won’t get a flick knife in, you may be able to get a bayonet, though why the heck you would want one is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    You won’t get a flick knife in, you may be able to get a bayonet, though why the heck you would want one is beyond me.
    I don't wish to bring one in, in fact I agree with you...ie. has no purpose.

However I'm asking on behalf of someone who has had a relative pass away, and in amongst their stuff were some old .303 Enfield rifles, a 6.5mm Arasaka rifle and some Bayonets.

My memory on the subject was the bayonets weren't legal. However after reading the rules, it looks like they are simply prohibited from importation (unless permitted to do so)...but not illegal to own as such, much like any rifle is.

Just looking for clarification from say a military enthusiast, as it would be a shame to dispose of the Bayonets if you don't have to, purely from a point of keeping the rifles as complete as possible.

They were selling bayonets at the military show thing in Palmy a few months ago so must be ok to buy them

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Hi

Re: Bayonets, flick knives etc...

Did a quick Google search, found nz police and customs websites.

My understanding is that bayonets, flick knives, knuckle dusters etc... can't be imported. However from what I've read, there's nothing illegal against owning these in nz, you just cant bring them into the country. And you can't carry them around on person without a valid reason (I guess the only one I could think of would be between your car and a military arms show/convention for collectors?) Am I reading this one right?
    Yes, you are reading it correctly. Police import permit is required (no problem if you are a bona fide collector) prior to import or Customs will destroy the items.

Really easy to do, I was gifted an AK bayonet whilst overseas, it was a straight forward and simple process then, I was able to keep due to sentimental value. May be a bit harder now.

Cool, so I can tell him it's all good to keep it.

There are no bayonets within NZ that I am aware of as being illegal. Having been collecting examples which were in use from 1853 to date which included importing several, I claim knowledge on this matter. The only illegality concerning bayonets which I am aware of is the usual which applies to pocket knives, hammers, screw drivers, swords, and all "blunt instruments' is if being carried in public, there has to be a valid reason for doing so and for some odd reason the fixed bayonet on a SKS rifle is illegal. It is legal if not connected to the rifle but not in it's "as issued attached" format.
    TradeMe is the easiest method of selling bayonet if you don't have access to a gun show.

My No 4 Mk 1* has a 100 yard combat peep sight, and a flip up ladder peep sight. The 100 yard sight is correct for 100 yards with bayonet attached, the graduations of the ladder sight assumes no bayonet is attached. So for shooting service rifle, I should really get me a bayonet. Reason I don't is that the No 4 bayonets (whether spikey ones or later bladed ones) lack a handle so have no earthly use - apart from bayoneting baby-eating Germans... and for trimming my 100 yard sight.

Name:  Enfield-No.-4-MK1-and-MK2-Rifles.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  16.6 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

You can get them in if you get a permit, If I were a knife collector then I could get a permit for one. Same as any restricted items.
    Except for nuclear weapons. Would be keen on one for my man cave!
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    My No 4 Mk 1* has a 100 yard combat peep sight, and a flip up ladder peep sight. The 100 yard sight is correct for 100 yards with bayonet attached, the graduations of the ladder sight assumes no bayonet is attached. So for shooting service rifle, I should really get me a bayonet. Reason I don't is that the No 4 bayonets (whether spikey ones or later bladed ones) lack a handle so have no earthly use - apart from bayoneting baby-eating Germans... and for trimming my 100 yard sight.

Attachment 109241
    Ah but they look so much better on the wall with a spikey bit on the end.
    Use enough gun

@40mm
    Must be a pretty cool man cave if you want a Nuclear bomb for it!

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    @40mm
    Must be a pretty cool man cave if you want a Nuclear bomb for it!
    Would be if I had something to make a coffee table out of.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W54
    Use enough gun