Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 8 Post By Tertle
  • 2 Post By Tertle
  • 3 Post By Tertle

Thread: Bereg tents

Bereg tents

So picked up my MFP-3 today, from @Sarvo, think it’s the only MFP that came in with this order, bit of a gamble given the amount of bully on the net about these in comparison to their UP cousins. So, got it up so incredibly quickly, if you can use an umbrella, you can use this tent with ease! Got the floor in, wasn’t to awkward, now it’s set up for the bereg stoves, which look very well made with a ton of features, the difference for me is I have a previous forum buy stove, no issue just turned it sideways (flue on the Russian version are at the front so i aligned the Chinese flue which are at the rear of the stove) and bugger me days wow, this this tent gets warm and stays warm, and yes all the windows are opened! The tent comes with handy storage holders that Velcro to the walls, spares kits, removable floor, heat shield for the tent wall and bless me decent pegs along with guide rope, my first impression, yes, it’s a lighter version suited to rain, but as soon as I can find somewhere snowing I can set up the tent........im in!

It’s not a pack in tent, it’s definitely a truck, quad bike, heli, jet boat or ox, but once you get it pegged in, ropes out and pegged in this tent is sturdy and extremely well made, well my initial observations certainly point me in the direction,

Advice, if you have one of the Chinese stoves, do what I did and put some ply down in front of the stove door or have it big enough to be proud of the stove floor foot print, it will catch any wayward sparks, this won’t be an issue with the bereg stoves.

Mine is 3M diameter so plenty of room, im sitting on a decent stretcher with my two dogs and would have a ton of room for gear, i could probably get two stretchers in with gear or easily two people on air mats with kit, you can even get a thermal floor for the tent, so, my first impressions, very happy, now to get back over to the coast for an adventure
    Name:  66531029-9DEF-41C3-A2DC-D9B013AF5299.jpeg
Views: 976
Size:  3.27 MB
    Name:  7BA2A932-9961-4F1C-9D19-E043D5D9237D.jpeg
Views: 972
Size:  3.20 MB
    Name:  6EBC6A80-D4EB-461D-94D9-8E74C068F1A0.jpeg
Views: 944
Size:  3.50 MB
    Name:  2E9E4ECA-AFEF-4625-BE34-E9AC20424D2E.jpeg
Views: 958
Size:  3.51 MB
    Tahr, Tikka7mm08, tetawa and 5 others like this.

Also I’m not being paid or in any way on the payroll!!

The guys who are taking the heavier duty versions id say your not going to have any issues with snow or the cold, the external heavier material will further trap that internal heat and the air barrier between the inner and outer layers of the tent, mate I reckon your going to be toasty, now after saying that I have to laugh as this lighter weighted fabric looks bloody tough! I am actually taking this puppy into the snow for some testing!

Now when initially I said this is a vehicle carried tent I noticed that it by itself only weighs 26.5 pounds, so not that disproportionate to carrying my Omark 308 target rifle i repurposed as a hunting rifle! But as a comparison my MFP3 is half the weight of say the UP2, so if you did have to pack it it, it won’t destroy but do factor in that stove, adding that, well let’s just say it’s a vehicle for me!

Tip - when putting the tent up and your going to use a stove, roll the external chimney flap up before you put the tent up, those of you,like myself with ducks disease will struggle to reach when it’s up!

Take your time when you install the floor, don’t go rip shit and bust in an enthusiastic manner (in the dark) as you’ll have to go back and do it properly later, unless your not ocd. But doing it properly will just keep away any drafts, however given it’s got a stove I thought of my imperfect installation as additional safety features allowing freash air to enter! The tent has a well situated air vent already next to the stove

Name:  495582EF-91AD-44C6-99AE-43A92B85CB3A.jpeg
Views: 966
Size:  3.76 MB
    Name:  62D870D9-DA6E-467A-AB3E-89F4B9992C5A.jpeg
Views: 972
Size:  2.27 MB
    Name:  FC2D7E57-0151-4205-858D-8AD5DEC815F5.jpeg
Views: 930
Size:  3.08 MB
    Name:  7444F11D-A3EE-4EBF-9F72-E1603950F466.jpeg
Views: 873
Size:  2.55 MB

So on closer inspection my beloved informed me that I had indeed put the floor in with what appeared to be the shiny coated side the wrong way down.......

Great!, I can put it in perfectly this time and cut to shape a suggestion that @Sarvo made, make a black polythene floor, I had some of a decent thickness and some old agpac tape

Name:  9DA7F701-B66A-444B-9729-2E68827D4816.jpeg
Views: 854
Size:  3.58 MB

Also the 6 guide rope metal bars, well initially I could only find 5, so when I found the 6th it helped me realise that they go on the higher of the available loops on the tent

Not sure why this "Tourist Model" MFP 3/4 has Velcro attach floor ?
    The other UP models all have heavy duty Zip and it is so easy to install even in dark as there is no way to get it wrong or off sku etc

I would have liked to had a play with this model myself 1st but will get more of this Tourist model next time in Spring order

Regarding comments about snow :-)

These were designed solely for Russian/Siberian use throughout the year and have seen many clips with huge snow dumps on top of these in -10 - -20c conditions
    Look at its design - followed probably the oldest Artic civilization accommodation on the Planet

The Igloo

Another thing guys will notice
    In strong wind it actually pushes down onto the ground as the wind goes over it

The dog seems to approve

So i see that @Sarvo has another great opportunity to get this and other style tents, stoves and accessories

If anyone in or around CHCH area would like to see how well they are made or robust that my one is please let me know, im happy to let genuinely interested people have a look.

please note my version is not the heavier robust version, mine is the lighter version, suitable for wet conditions and snow only down to -30!!!!! i have to laugh with the fact its referred to as the tourist model, my god those Russians must be truely hard buggers, as this tent is only 26.5 pounds, the UP2 version is 44 pounds, THATS a incredibly bloody sturdy tent, mines just a bloody sturdy tent!
    paddygonebush and Frodo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Unless it was REALLY freezing out....would'nt that stove make it almost unbearably hot,in such a small area?.
    If you have been Tent camping at any time - you would know the following

From March till December in Alpine of any low Bush-land included
    Dampness is the bugbear mainly
    To have "everything" dry is a real luxury
    To put on yesterdays clothing 1st thing that is dry is a luxury

I used my set up over a continual 15 month time frame and even peak summer - dew mornings were started with leaning out of the S Bag and just lighting a Paper Fire Brick that in 2-3mins had everything warm and not clammy,

Does it get too hot
    God yes - but you have 2 windows and a door (2 doors in most models) and have excellent damper control on the "Bereg double burning" stoves
    Tertle's stove (not Bereg stove that come with tents) could be difficult to control - maybe ??

Ask Glen if it got too hot - who did this review on Tahr early May

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....rn-alps-72244/

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I understand the moisture/clamminess issue....I used to make my living installing marquees/tents.Putting in a proper floor is a big help but of course not practical for hunters etc in the backblocks.
    and thats where these tents nails it again, i can put this up in a min with an installed floor, ok, id take a few more mins to put the tent peg in, and id take the extra min to put out the heavy duty polythene footprint i made, but like you pointed out it benefits from its floor

would i use the stove in summer in the tent to cook, probably not, would i use it outside, possibly but i love heading over to the coast and especially in the wetter colder months, but its an option id take with me, plus my body hurts in the morning, i like a warm tent!

As @Sarvo mention, my stove is one of the recent Chinese buys, it does not have anywhere the same ability for heat regulation the Bereg stoves offer, it did get hot, but that was also me being a bit too bloody keen, and when it did get hot i opened the one of internal window leaving the external widow closed i then opened the other window fully, that way i could retain some heat within the two walls and the other to help remove some of the heat and moisture, there was always the door option too! Im not sure about you but when in huts my gear is always near a fire drying out , a small fire with the gear hanging on the internal hooks or in the overhead netting means i get all the benefits.

also getting the correct stove to the tent size will also make a big difference, i have the MON3 / MFP3 variation, so for me its a small stove, if i had the awning as well, i reckon i could still get away with a small stove, if i had say the bigger UP5 then id get something slightly bigger but id talk to Sarvo or the others.
    Moa Hunter, Frodo and berg243 like this.

Solid tents.

If they had 'Stoney Creek' or 'Kuiu' written on them, they'd sell in spades.