Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best binoculars?

Best binoculars?

Hey guys!

What are the best binoculars to buy!

Thanx 4 advice

You get what you pay for with optics.
    My vote goes towards Swarovski, or Leica, but there are lots and lots of options.
    Best bet is to look at your budget and go from there.
    There are endless online reviews and comparisons, but the best idea is to try and get behind a few to try out.
    I have an older set of Swarovski SLC 8x30WB, I have never regretted the initial expense.
    R93 likes this.

With optics the more you spend the better they are, but a $3000 pair won't be 3x better than a $1000 pair. The main time you will notice the difference is at first and last light. If you are comparing binoculars then don't look at things in bright sunlight, look at things in the shade or deep shadow, that will show the biggest difference.
    Keep an eye out on trademe for second hand pairs, you might find a real bargain, this pair here could be an awesome buy Zeiss Dialyt 10 x 40 Binnoculars | Trade Me but I'd probably want to look through them first.
    The other place to get a bargain is demo pairs. Camerland New York often has good deals.
    At the cheaper end, Bushnell Legend HD are a good pair. Zenrays have good glass, but I'm hearing issues with them starting to break. Vortex is another reasonable brand. I have Minox HG that I got for an absolute bargain.
    Your best bet is to look through as many pairs as you can, then save some more money. Optics is one area where you won't regret buying quality first time.

If you want decent Bino's that will last Its not just the quality of the units to consider but the after sales service is equally as important.
    I purchased a pair of Leica 10X40 in 1995 and they got used a LOT. In 2014 I started having issues with the focus. They were sent back to Leica in Germany for service and I expected to pay. After all they did looked very knocked around. They were returned (I think 5 weeks later) COMPLETELY refurbished at no cost. They looked sooooo! good that I had to check the serial number to confirm that they were not a new pair.
    I heard recently of a guy ( He may be a forum member) who dropped his brand new Geovids off a bluff and destroyed them. They also went back to Leica in Germany and were replaced with a NEW pair. I believe he had to pay the shipping cost though.
    What other Bino manufacturer supports their product to that extend?
    Bottom line if you can afford Leica's get them. It will be an heirloom purchase that you can leave to your kids.
    PS I don't work for either Leica or Lacklands
    Kiwi Greg, Toby and Boulderman like this.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Just bought a pair of vortex razors. Close to $2k local dealer. Compared to my zenrays these are night and day better. Only 27g lighter tho but shorter. Not a massive saving buying overseas and imported. So went local.

I wanna spend about 150 -200$ I 've heard Levenhuk n Celestron are not expensive and not bad. Is it right?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieMar View Post
    I wanna spend about 150 -200$ I 've heard Levenhuk n Celestron are not expensive and not bad. Is it right?
    No
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    I had never even heard of those brands :S You'd be better off saving your coin and dropping a bit more cash on a decent pair.. My opinion obviously.
    #BallisticFists

Id look at getting some 10x42 bushnells off Amazon.

Unfortunately you wont even come close to the best for that money.
    kiwijames likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    If you want decent Bino's that will last Its not just the quality of the units to consider but the after sales service is equally as important.
    I purchased a pair of Leica 10X40 in 1995 and they got used a LOT. In 2014 I started having issues with the focus. They were sent back to Leica in Germany for service and I expected to pay. After all they did looked very knocked around. They were returned (I think 5 weeks later) COMPLETELY refurbished at no cost. They looked sooooo! good that I had to check the serial number to confirm that they were not a new pair.
    I heard recently of a guy ( He may be a forum member) who dropped his brand new Geovids off a bluff and destroyed them. They also went back to Leica in Germany and were replaced with a NEW pair. I believe he had to pay the shipping cost though.
    What other Bino manufacturer supports their product to that extend?
    Bottom line if you can afford Leica's get them. It will be an heirloom purchase that you can leave to your kids.
    PS I don't work for either Leica or Lacklands
    That was me! Leica, you rock!
    Toby likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    You get what you pay for with optics.
    My vote goes towards Swarovski, or Leica, but there are lots and lots of options.
    Best bet is to look at your budget and go from there.
    There are endless online reviews and comparisons, but the best idea is to try and get behind a few to try out.
    I have an older set of Swarovski SLC 8x30WB, I have never regretted the initial expense.
    I brought the same about 25 years ago and they are still going strong. You will never regret buying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    I had never even heard of those brands :S You'd be better off saving your coin and dropping a bit more cash on a decent pair.. My opinion obviously.
    Celestron make (and has made for some time) Astro glass, telescopes and the like. They make some pretty high level kit as well as cheap stuff and have a good rep amoung star gazers.
    The entry level Nature dx has a very good reputation for being better quality than others in its class. They aren't flash, but they do work

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. You're funny
    kiwijames and hotsoup like this.

I got me some Vanguard 10x42 Binos after a LOT of research.
    EG: Link

They have done me really well so far. Everyone who looks at them is impressed by what they can do, with how much they cost - was US$230 when I got them.
    They are cheaper now.

Highly recommend them
    gadgetman likes this.