Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Bugbait
  • 4 Post By Munsey
  • 4 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By Tahr

Thread: best footwear for fiordland?

best footwear for fiordland?

I'm off to Fiordland for a couple of weeks in feb. Unfortunately my cheapo leather boots decided to start disintegrating on the last few river hunts I did, so I'm looking for a new pair that will be suitable for Fiordland conditions as well as general Southland bush. I've always worn leather hiking type boots that last me a year or two of intermittent use (during uni), but would like to try something different. I'm on a bit of a budget, although that might be asking a little much as you generally get what you pay for. Also have to be a bit fussy as I have flat feet and bony heels that tend to blister up easy. Would appreciate any help, cheers

Bullers are cheap but if you are carting heavy pack they may not give you enough support. Generally you can add good insoles to them as they seem to be fairly roomy for the length so some sort of orthotic's could be the go. The other thing I like about bullers is that they don't stay wet like leather even drying sometimes by the next morning. If you get blisters on your heels try taping them or a couple of layers of retention dressing. Otherwise buy some boots tomorrow and wear them wet all the time until you go
    Cheers
    capey likes this.

yeah was thinking about bullers or ashleys, they'd be worth looking into. Do they give anything in the way of ankle support? Might just have to wear a lot of socks and/or insoles.
    Yep haha thats always the go with leather boots, I usually go for a long hunt up the river with them and after that they're great, I don't really blister up at all.
    Thanks!

Stoney creek Greywackes seem to get good reviews for a well priced boot. I have a really old pair that I pinched off my dad and they have gone a bit soft now and dont provide the support they used too but dad hammered them for a good few years before I got my hands on them now I just use them for work on the farm.

I never tried ashleys but suspect they would give you a bit more support, the bullers give marginal support but I have never found that to be a problem even with a decent load(+ my 100kgs). They are also fairly light so don't feel heavy at the end of the day. The only other cons I can think is climbing steep hills they load up your calves more than stiff leather boots and you can stub your toe hard out (you'll only do it once, yeah right).
    Probably best to get some leather boots though as Fiordland sounds like it is no place to try out new equipment.
    Good luck.

If you are hunting the flats anything will do but if you want to get up high I recommend the best boot you can afford . The tops can be along way up and can be unforgiving
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Gumboots? Really??? I thought we were over that.
    If you are planning on going anywhere apart from the river flats I would recommend something more solid and fitting than gumboots. It's bloody steep down there and a solid grippy sole will be a big help. Go and try on lots of pairs and spend as much as you possibly can on the best fitting ones.
    I would rather have wet feet and stable footing than be lying at the bottom of a bluff with dry feet.
    Last edited by Shearer; 26-01-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Can't go past Lowa. Expensive in NZ but if you look around on the net, particularly during any major US holidays (= sales), you can generally find a decent price on whatever you're after. 100% agree with @Shearer .

Respect your feet. They are the only pair you get. Buy the best leather boots you can afford.

Bullers will kill your feet over time, and likely you too through a fall. They have the potential to ruin your trip.
    JoshC and sambnz like this.