Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Big Agnes Copper spur tent users ?

I'm looking at selling some under utilized tents and shelters and rationalizing things a bit

My current thinking is that a

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 or 3 would be a useful replacement
    I just wonder who on here is using one of these ?
    How long and how much have you used it ?
    Pros and cons etc ?
    Where and when have you used it ?

My situation is South Island at high altitude 3 seasons exposed, valley or sheltered 4 seasons.
    Solo one man and a dog or two man ( don't need the dog when I have someone else to retrieve my game ! ).
    Want a bit more head and shoulder room than current 2 man tent.
    Want bug proof where my cuban fiber tarp tent doesn't ( but still love it and use it for specific hunts )
    Want to be able to sit out a few days of wet weather without feeling trapped
    Want to be able to cook inside if I really need to
    Want to be around 1.5kg

This is a niche application I need to fill and it doesn't have to be compromised to cover other uses because I have

6 person Kifaru tipi and titanium stove for fly in and drive in luxury. Or walk in base camp for multiple weeks. Luxury for 2 plus dog in winter with stove going. Nice for 3 and stove in winter. Nice for 4 in summer.
    3 person Mutha Hubba for fly in and ideal for 2 person comfort at altitude in South Westland
    2 plus person cuban fiber tarp tent for ultra fast and light overnighters
    Alpine cacoon

So as you can see the hole in the system is light and fast 2 person with some comfort so my old body can keep going for multiple days !

Any other suggestions appreciated

And bear in mind that it would seem that all the NZ retailers and on-line stores are out of stock of anything worth buying locally

A friend has the copper spur 3 person. Nice and light. Material feels pretty thin but seems to be ok. He uses it on Canterbury tops. I’m 6’4” and fit in ok. Pretty have to use with the footprint. He has now gone to something even lighter, Tarptent Li2 with the solid inner. About 0.8kg but uses trekking poles.

Ben B uses one and likes it https://youtu.be/JfpWmOsXRp4
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Been using a 2 man copper spur for awhile now , quite happy with it but never tested in strong winds usually camping in sheltered spots The floor is very thin so got a footprint which you need anyway if you want to us it with just the fly. All up with extra pegs for the fly that it doesn't come with it weighs 1.6kg or so.

Have a look at the One Planet Goondies, a tiny bit heavier that some but proven in the severest "downunder" conditions. Winter and summer versions available, mine are winter ones. Cheers

I have the copper spur 2, had it for 3 ish years and around 40 nights use. Its a great tent and feels very roomy for its size, im 6.2 and fit easy as..

Its very light and as such im very carful where i pitch it, id say 3 season is a push, more like usa 3 season not our south island tops wind 3 season.. ive been caught out in a light snow storm on the lewis pass tops in it and made it just....

I would highely recommend this tent though, love it !

I have one of these but an earlier model.

Been very happy with it,can't fault it and its been out on some foul weather and nearly been blow flat for hours on end.

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/bac...ent/06204.html
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Did you ever get yourself one of these?

I'm looking to pick one up but they're priced here at $1400. I know I can pick them up from the States for $850 landed but would rather purchase from an NZ supplier.

No I went with a Kuiu and very happy with it

Just a bit heavier but seriously bomb proof and good sit up height

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kwon View Post
    Did you ever get yourself one of these?

I'm looking to pick one up but they're priced here at $1400. I know I can pick them up from the States for $850 landed but would rather purchase from an NZ supplier.
    They are a great balance of weight and strength. Fabric is light, need footprint, but great tents. Most of the Big Agnes stuff is really good.

Will flick a PM through re place to get it.