Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Big Badass Back Packs... Whats the Go.

Big Badass Back Packs... Whats the Go.

Kia ora! haha, Gidday,

im chasen an upgrade inthe back pack department, need a good one and wanted to see what you Kiwi trekkers are using for multi dayers in the alps, to pack all yer stuff.

let me know , an what you think,

eyes are currently on the Tatonka Bison - not sure what size yet.......
    an then there is another lever, exo mtn, kuiu, stone glacier, etc.....

i need a frame pack or very sturdy frame/harness....
    love to hear what ya go, an what ya like or dont like about it!?!

thanks Crew!

I rate my One planet packs, went to them after macpac went overseas. Good sturdy hard wearing packs with nothing you dont need. I find most "hunting" brands are full of gimmicks and lack quality pretty badly.
    Steve123 and Basenjiboy like this.

Cactus are abother contender to looks at, I'm running the macpac cascade, no issues for 10+ trips of 4+days but the last 10day trip the padding on the buckle slipped allowing the plastic to drill a hole through my shoulder blade!

Use a twin needle molle me as a day / overnight bag
    oneshot likes this.

MAC
    Just got the Macpac torre 80L, looked around but always came back to Macpac pack, this thing is bullet proof + with the winter sale on at the moment $399.00

I had a Tatonka bison and just sold it as it couldnt go small enough in the harness for me, im normal build so not like im super short or anything.

I looked at kuiu and stone glacier, both look great, but the overall durability of them i dont know if they would be super strong, sure they have a warranty but that wont help when it blows open and your up on a mountain range. The shear cost of them is high too, a SG landed in NZ is pushing over $1200 plus GST from what i looked at,

I have ended up going on backorder for a Cactus Foray, hopefully its up to the task, from other peoples comments and my experiences from my other Cactus Huntaway and Miklat im sure it will be
    Hunty1 and Rees like this.

I had the Tatonka 75 and went to the 90l for 7-10 day trips It’s nice not to have bulging at the rim it’s amazing how much room food takes up in your pack !no complaints from me or any of my hunting mates only that they wish they got the 90l as well !
    Rees and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

I've personally used a Kifaru for the last 5 years, I own about 3 packs from them. Daypack (shapecharge), 44mag(3-5day) & Hoodlum for up to 10 days. The last 2 bags are interchangeable on the frame.

SG, Exo, Cactus, Kifaru, Twin Needle, Kuiu would all do a great job, those are the ones I'd stick to from my experience.
    Monk and caberslash like this.

Osprey packs man you wont look back
    ebf, stagstalker, uk_exile and 2 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Tatonka hard to beat for a expedition pack. They really handle the weight extremely well. Kuiu or other ultralight will save you ~1kg in pack weight but you fork out a lot more moolaa

what about Bushbucks 85 Destroyer????

anyone used them to compare to TatonkA?

i keep hearing, Osprey..... what models? i thought theyre more a hike specific? an on par with black wolf etc?? perhaps not? link me up or model names to research please,

thanks for replies.

interesting in regards to the small fellas an the harness of the tatonka, im not a big fulla either...

ebf
    Osprey Aether AG 85lt, best pack I ever owned.

Seriously does not feel like you are carrying large loads. And Osprey have one of the best guarantees out.

Do a search on here for Osprey Aether, there is a reason guys rave about it...
    Bryan, 199p, stagstalker and 1 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Recently brought the Osprey aether 85, by far the best pack I have carried. Here’s a good thread on here... https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....y-packs-59491/
    Their warranty is like Vortex, will replace/fix no questions asked globally, not even a receipt required.

Some options based on what I've owned or borrowed.

Reliable, no-frills pack: Cactus, K2, or older MacPac & Kathmandu. <$800

Cons: They're a little heavier than the flash stuff at your local tramping store.
    Pros: The extra durability and streamlined shape (no straps and webbing hanging everwhere) quickly makes up for it. Classic NZ-made packs.

If you'd like something for carrying very heavy loads, or weight training, and you're not all that fussy about features and materials: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo Mtn Gear $1000-$1400

Pros: Made from cordura and can be customised to suit your needs. I.e buy one frame, and buy a bunch of different sized bags to go with it, depending on your use.
    Cons: Pricey. Don't have complete say in features, sizing etc.

If you want a custom-made heavy load carrier, made to your unique dimensions, and you'd like complete say in the materials used and the position of every pocket, zipper, stitch etc: McHale packs $2500-$6000

Pros: You'll end up with a pack that fits your body like a glove. If you like hot pink, you can have it dyed hot pink.
    Cons: You'll probably get divorced. Takes a long time. Analysis paralysis (all the options can be a bit overwhelming).

Ultralight-ish pack: Osprey, MacPac <$600-ish

Pros: Look sexy. You can pick up Euro chicks on one of the great walks (who've got matching packs). Comfortable. Great warranty.
    Cons: Not the best for extreme loads. Not as durable as some other options...but you may not need that extra durability. So it depends.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Aether 85 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRhVMUXW1E4 Normal price $450, on sale they're around $380.

I can vouch for the guarantee. Had a 3yr old lightweight Osprey Talon 22 repaired for free after tore it going through bush lawyer and incident on a barbed wire fence. Then about 5yrs later same pack in a very worn state had a bit stitching let go and result was lost the chest strap. They gave me a new pack rather than repairing it. Awesome! I'll never buy another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Do any of the recommended brands not have irritating little squeaks?
    I had a bit of squeaking in the Exo Mtn Gear and Stone Glacier's I've had. Think it had something to do with them being external frame packs, and that fact that the carbon rods in the frame were housed inside a sleeve, which they could slightly twist inside.

One one Stone Glacier pack, one of the carbon rods popped out of the sleeve (stitching came undone), and I had to send the pack back to the States to be repaired.

On my current McHale pack, the frame is internal. No squeaking, even if carrying extremely heavy (40Kg) loads. They're built one at a time, by one guy, and he makes sure they're perfect before they go out the door. But this comes at a cost.