Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Bino Harness- Recommendations and any issues with magnets interfering with GPS?

Bino Harness- Recommendations and any issues with magnets interfering with GPS?

I am currently in the market for a bino harness, preferably one that can hold a few other things- Spare mag, GPS and potentially a range finder.

So far i've looked at a lot of different designs and the best design in my current opinion is the Badlands mag bino case with harness at $200
    link: https://www.craftys.co.nz/product/ma...e-by-badlands/

or there is another model with separate rangefinder compartment for $250
    link: https://www.craftys.co.nz/product/ma...efinder-binos/

I like these models because they look like they would keep everything dry and easy to open.

Is anyone using these models or are there any other brands worth considering?

Also curious if there is an issue with using your GPS or compass next to the case due to the magnets or if holding the GPS at arms length is far enough away?

Cheers, Tasman.

Ned
    I've got one of these
    https://www.hunterselement.co.nz/col...r-desolve-veil
    Which you can add pouches onto. Well constructed IMO.

Still can't decide whether I like using it or not. Also got a swazi bino thing which is much simpler and does the job of protecting binos and stopping them swinging about. Should probably try that out next time I'm on the hill and get rid of one of them.
    ishoot10s likes this.

I used the badlands zip model for almost two years but the zip has blown out recently which is a bummer, not sure how the magnet model is for durability. Cheers

good to know, was the zip quiet and easy enough to open? Also I read that badlands has a lifetime- no questions asked warranty

Magnets can't really screw with GPS. The RF signals from the satellites that a GPS listens for will still make it through, allowing it to calculate how far it is from each one and give you a position. The magnets will mess with a compass if you hold it right next to them, but their range isn't very far so arms length will be fine.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

magnets wont affect gps.
    gps is basically a synchronised clock. each satellite sends a signal at the same time. the gps receiver picks up 2 or more "blips" and satellites i.d code and works out the difference in time between the signals this then gives your position.
    snow/heavy rain/volcanic ash etc are the enemies of any satellite signal.

Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak CUB MAX. Mine is awesome, I carry binos, PLB, Windmeter, used to carry range finder but that’s now in my binos so that pocket is used for extra ammo, also carry knife, steel, lens cloth and emergency blanket. The fit and bulk of it is not too overpowering and it’s a good system.

I would also look at the twin needle harness that has the molle attachment options. Latest kuiu harness looks mint too if you want a slimline option.

I have not been impressed with my mates hunters element harness. Poor design in my opinion. My mate had the badlands magnetic harness and got fed up with it so converted to the alaska guide like mine but has also also just got a kuiu one.
    Tahr likes this.

Ive got the hunters element one and added the range finder case and attached.my GPS with a bit of paracord. It can hold 4 rounds in it and a lens cloth.
    It works ok, seems reasonably well made and comfortable to wear with a pack on
    30late and Skipton butch like this.

Badlands are great. But with a pair of 10x42s in there, there's not much room for more than a few spare rounds and a cleaning cloth. If ya gonna be carting lots of stuff around, best go for a belt with carry pouches, knife etc on it, as well as the bino bikini.

I've tried a few too and haven't really taken to them. I have just got a helikon numbat front pouch (bushlifenz.com) and have yet to try it but it gives me a bit more room than a standard bino-harness. Might be worth a look...

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak CUB MAX. Mine is awesome, I carry binos, PLB, Windmeter, used to carry range finder but that’s now in my binos so that pocket is used for extra ammo, also carry knife, steel, lens cloth and emergency blanket. The fit and bulk of it is not too overpowering and it’s a good system.

I would also look at the twin needle harness that has the molle attachment options. Latest kuiu harness looks mint too if you want a slimline option.

I have not been impressed with my mates hunters element harness. Poor design in my opinion. My mate had the badlands magnetic harness and got fed up with it so converted to the alaska guide like mine but has also also just got a kuiu one.
    Yes. I have the basic Alaskan Guide model. Binos go in and out easily and the stretchy lid catch thingy works just fine. They are compact and sit well. You can add all sorts of attachments that they make like a range finder pouch (I need one - @craigc note for Fathers's day - its this Sunday you know).

The main thing to look for is easy access to your Binos and lack of bulk.
    stagstalker likes this.

Pav
    +1 on the Hunters Element
    I just have the standard size not magnum as my binos are only 8x42 but as others have said there is enough room for magazine and a few spare rounds in one of the side pouches, a wind checker in the other side pouch and I keep a spare mercator knife in the front pouch. Good opening/closing with the magnets and silent. No problems wearing it over a raincoat or under daypack etc and not too bulky out in front.
    ishoot10s likes this.

I've got the Bushbuck bino holder. Seems ok to me, but I've got no expereince with anything else so can can't if it's better or not than others. Holds 8.5x50 and rangefinder ok. Keeps it all dry.
    However the magnet is a pain in the ass. Even at arms length it upsets compass enought that can't trust compass. Also upsets digital compass in phone when using NZ Topo50. Sometime I'll be removing the magnet and putting a clip, bungie or something.

Personally recommend FHF gear, light, good protection, decent storage and no magnets.

Having said that, your rifle, bullets and knife will deflect a compass needle just as badly as a small magnet will.

MAC
    I got the badlands zip model last July - i was looking for something not to bulky, but could hold a few small items ammo/bino lens cleaner /map/ drop chart etc used on couple trips now and loven it.,