Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: binos 10x42

binos 10x42

im just wondering if there are brands / models to avoid or are really good, im looking for 10x42 and want something with a decent garrentee, vortex and highend bushnell have garrentees where even if its your own fault they fix them anyway ( apparently no questions asked ) has anyone had problems with warranty claims?
    thanks

My Bushnell Legend ultra HDs I had a few years back fogged up on the inside and they wouldn't honour the warranty, told me they had "been abused" yet there's not a Mark on them, I still have them sitting here in my hot water cupboard a few years later and they look great but as soon as the temperature changes they fog up again.
    Funnily enough I'm now using the new model legend HDs because I got a good deal on them, great glass for the money but I wouldn't rush out and buy them as my first choice.
    Had very good after sales service from Minox and will look at buying them again when money allows

I can vouch for Steiner, awesome back up, I bought a pair from a Cash Converters in South Africa when on holiday, brought them back here and the diopter was playing up, took them to H&F who sent them to the agents and they were immediately replaced with a brand spanking pair, no questions asked!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    My Bushnell Legend ultra HDs I had a few years back fogged up on the inside and they wouldn't honour the warranty, told me they had "been abused" yet there's not a Mark on them, I still have them sitting here in my hot water cupboard a few years later and they look great but as soon as the temperature changes they fog up again.
    Funnily enough I'm now using the new model legend HDs because I got a good deal on them, great glass for the money but I wouldn't rush out and buy them as my first choice.
    Had very good after sales service from Minox and will look at buying them again when money allows
    i see in the latest h & f mag they advertise bushnell new "yes " warrantty, what are they like in low light? ledgend hd verses minox?

I have had excellent back up from both Minox and Bushnell, but from the companies themselves, NOT the NZ distributors.
    As for Brands/models. Depends n how much you want to spend. Also google Binocular reviews. Some interesting reading there.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I wouldn't put much between the two, both are very good glass for the money, even @sambnz who uses Leica Geovids had a look through them as we sat spotting chamois on Friday evening and seemed suitably impressed, fair comment Sam?
    As far as warranty issues I had a lot better experience with my minox binos though, they took a bit of a dive off a bluff and the two sides wouldn't focus in unison, sent to minox in Germany and they were back in my mailbox a few weeks later all refurbished.

Another negative for Bushnell. Ampro (nz agent) are a bunch of wankers. I had a set of ledgend HDs that had the eye cup call off. Again they said they had been abused when they hadnt even been on a hunting trip. The most extensive thing they had done was at the range. They fixed them but not without calling me a liar and saying they are doing it out of good will. When they came back "repaired" i checked them with the team at Hunt Fish. The same eye cup fell off in store in the guys hand at the counter.

Long story short: dont touch bushnell - nor deal with crap agents who over charge and provide a horrible service like Ampro

T
    Last edited by mcche171; 16-01-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: crap spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I wouldn't put much between the two, both are very good glass for the money, even @sambnz who uses Leica Geovids had a look through them as we sat spotting chamois on Friday evening and seemed suitably impressed, fair comment Sam?
    As far as warranty issues I had a lot better experience with my minox binos though, they took a bit of a dive off a bluff and the two sides wouldn't focus in unison, sent to minox in Germany and they were back in my mailbox a few weeks later all refurbished.
    More than suitably impressed. They were bloody gold for the money. Slightly different colouring to the lenses which I think actually helped make the Chamois "pop" a bit more than the geovids on last light. Really impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent quite a bit of time at last years Sika show looking at various bino's from bottom end to top end in terms of name and pricing.
    While my review was only subjective, and based on what I would see in the distance from the vendor stands [so low light comparisons were not possible, but clarity, brightness, colour fringing etc all were], I came to the following conclusions:

1. there is some silly money to be spent out there!
    2. some of the high end models were actual some of the worst optically, particularly with colour fringing
    3. excluding the very bottom end junk, the mid range binos are actually very good
    4. ergonomics of the different brand/models can make a world of difference to your viewing comfort during long glassing sessions. What fits someone else, may not fit you. Test the binos for fit before you hand over your money.
    5. after looking at everything on offer at the Sika show, I would have laid my money on the Leupold counter. Bang for buck, you could easy buy 2-3 pairs of Leupold's for the price of the top end offerings and lost nothing optically [...... now patiently waiting for the barrage of flaming comments from high end bino owners who have spent big money on their glass ....... ]

The leupold warrant is as good as anyone's out there in the market.

Just to add qualification to my comments while grabbing the fire extinguisher, I own binos from Leica, Nikon, Canon and Vortex. I really look after my gear, so things get used, but not abused. I have never had to return a scope or a bino for repair in my 35 years of hunting.

so @hotbarrels how do you rate vortex against leica ( the best binos ive ever looked through were $1000 worth and theres no point me looking at anything above that because i cant afford them anyway haha )

I have a pair of Lecia Ultravid 10x25 which are my go to light carry bino's. They were $1,000 when I bought them from Reloaders. I see they are currently $1,189 Leica Ultravid 10x25 Black Line - Binoculars - Optics - Reloaders Supplies Ltd
    For me the form, fit and optics are excellent for such a small package, and I couldn't find anything in the market that beat them at the time. Minox were more expensive and by my eyes were not as good optically. The will fit in the top pocket of my polar fleece top or rain coat.

The Vortex are the Diamondback 10x42. I bought these just recently for rabbit spotting in the hills for my 12yr old because he was hogging my Lecia's. They were bought sight unseen, were low cost and I want expecting great things. They are actually quite nice, and at the moment I would say they are value for money [they will be getting their first work out in a week's time as we will be spending 5 days hunting rabbits in the hills]. That said, if I hadn't purchased them prior to the sika show last year, I would probably put the money towards a pair of Leupold's.
    One criticism of the pair I have is that the focus adjustment is a bit stiff in places, and a bit mushy in others. Not up to Leupold's standard.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    i see in the latest h & f mag they advertise bushnell new "yes " warrantty, what are they like in low light? ledgend hd verses minox?
    If you check on bushnells website you will find that warranty is only applicable in usa and canada. H and f should not be advertising it unless they intend to honour it themselves.
    birch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    Another negative for Bushnell. Ampro (nz agent) are a bunch of wankers. I had a set of ledgend HDs that had the eye cup call off. Again they said they had been abused when they hadnt even been on a hunting trip. The most extensive thing they had done was at the range. They fixed them but not without calling me a liar and saying they are doing it out of good will. When they came back "repaired" i checked them with the team at Hunt Fish. The same eye cup fell off in store in the guys hand at the counter.

Long story short: dont touch bushnell - nor deal with crap agents who over charge and provide a horrible service like Ampro

T
    +1 about Ampro. Bushnell on the other hand are great to deal with. If you have any issues go straight to their customer service department in the States.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

ampro have always been good to deal with in my experience

however this question is a bit open ended , what is your $$ budget?
    #BallisticFists

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post

T
    Thats standard with most nz distributors. Thats the local support that you pay extra for. You are better off importing and sending back to the retailer in the states for warrenty work.
    Shearer likes this.