Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: bivi verses fly verses tent after light weight but compact

bivi verses fly verses tent after light weight but compact

i currently have 2 person tent which is great i have room for me and my gear, it weighs 2.2kg but im trying to shead some weight, i need it to be less that 1kg or i mayaswell just take my tent, flys are not bad but have no ground mat and cant stop rain driving in??, bivi ( im thinking perhaps one with hooped pole over head ) but no room for gear ( which isnt the end of the world ) and alternitive ideas?

birch likes this.

MSL
    I use a Vaude bivvy bag which has room for my pack and rifle inside, then I just tie it up over my headName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454576170.644542.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  167.3 KB it's bigger than it looks but far from spacious. But it's water proof and sealed and with the hood section vented right it doesn't suffer much from condensation.

MSL
    If I replace it I'll be getting the zpacks hexamid pocket tarp and splash bivvy

P38
    I'd go for a light weight tarp if I was looking to shed some weight.

However as with everything you'll have to give some to gain some.

Cheers
    Pete

Fly can defiantly be used in driving rain! Depends on how you pitch it. Have used mine in the alps in driving rain/snow. The only reahson I'd choose a tent was if bugs were likely. Hate them or if two people and weight becomes less crucial. Wife also likes tents more I think. Tents warmer in winter too.
    stretch likes this.

If its in the bush, just get a lightweight bivy and a siltarp/cuben tarp if you have the cheese. Should be able to get a decent size siltarp and bivvy for around 600-700 gram total weight. Pretty flexable setup also.

I have a 2 man tent, big sil tarp, and small sil tarp, lightweight bivy and a bug bivy all of which were picked up on the cheap. I just take whichever one suits the forcast best.

I used to run a hooped bivy but they are only bugger all lighter than a tent and way less roomy, and you still need a tarp to cook under/hangout ect if it rains

Caretaker

bivi verses fly verses tent after light weight but compact

Summer i use an Alpkit bivvy bag

(Internet pic)

And winter a Macpac apollo

I have never weighed it

Last edited by 7mmsaum; 05-02-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

hmm a super light tent might be a good option for me, i have found a few that are 1 kg but im still looking any recomendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I used to run a hooped bivy but they are only bugger all lighter than a tent and way less roomy, and you still need a tarp to cook under/hangout ect if it rains
    My hooped bivy (OR Helium) weighs 510g, I think its 450g without the hoop pole. Thats a heap lighter than a tent!

Agreed that you'd want a tarp as well if hanging out in the rain, I haven't had the bivy long and only used it for a couple of lightweight overnight trips so far. If I'm planning a multi-day trip and expecting to spend time hanging around camp in bad weather I take a tent for the extra comfort.

People planning to use ultralight tents on the tops should also be aware that some of them won't stand up to strong wind very well.

K95
    I've used a lightweight tent, a 3x3m silnylon tarp and both were good in there own ways. I just swiped a cuben fibre Mld Trailstar on trademe which I have been wanting to try for a while. I think they all have their place. Heaps of lightweight options out there now and more and more becoming available from retailers in NZ. Gearshop seem to have a few lightweight tents now.
    Last edited by K95; 10-02-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Be interested to see how that trailstar goes. Be great in the wind with the long sides. Big footprint though

nothing is Kea Proof.

Anybody got some tips on how to discourage Keas other than using supersonic spinners
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    Anybody got some tips on how to discourage Keas other than using supersonic spinners
    Contact DOC,I think they have something called " sodiummonofluroacetate "
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out