Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tui4Me
  • 1 Post By Kudu
  • 1 Post By Padox

Thread: Black Stag Sleeping Bags

Black Stag Sleeping Bags

Due to time constraints and availability I’m looking at purchasing a Black Stag sleeping bag.

I know they come in three different weights??

Do not foresee any alpine use with it. Certainly winter hunting is on the cards.

Would the mid weight one do the job?
    Or just go heavy weight and be done with it?

Are they all they’re cracked up to be?

Only have this weekend to purchase one. Happy to go bricks and mortar store.

Thanks in advance for any informative replies.

TH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go weigh something thats 200 grams, and figure out if you are happy carrying that little extra amount around the hills for the sake of a warm night...anywhere

A comfortable nights sleep when theres a 10 degree frost outside your tent will make those 200 grams worth it.

There are some reviews on their web site you can check out mate.

https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz/black-...eping-bag.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A comfortable nights sleep when theres a 10 degree frost outside your tent will make those 200 grams worth it.
    Personally I'd go for the Mid weight sleeping bag and use a down jacket for extra warmth when required Mid Winter.

200g is fuck all. About the weight of an iphone. But it's the 'bulk' of the larger sleeping bag in your pack that's the problem.
    Monk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I bought a 800 blackstag for use in the Kaimanawa's, was never cold. Cobber got a Domex and was cold in Urewera's I wasn't. I'm in Sth Island and have never been cold in it, Haast during roar or other wise in Huts during winter. I rate them, got silk liner. I know it sounds gay but it does work.
    That’s the information I’m after. Heard that about the silk liners.

you can buy cheap liners for about $10 from warehouse that do same job.....I reckon they make difference of couple of degrees....old sleeping bag COVER upps it even more than that. personally I want warmest bag possible,if too hot inside a hut, its not hard to leave main bag open and still be decent with liner covering you giblets.
    I went with oversize bag and reckon it was best decision ever,I can sleep happily with arms inside bag and not be cramped up at all..never managed that before getting bigger size one.

I brought an 800 weight one when they first come out...So maybe 10 years ago? Its still going strong. I can't say I've ever been that cold in it..and in fact if you are ever in a hut you never zip it up coz its to hot!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have the heavy 1 except mines a 900 not an 800 but then I never zip it up in a hut in the biv iv never been cold
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ended up with a RAB 700(can’t remember model of bag) courtesy of Hamills Rotovegas.

No Black Stag 800s available Hamilton or Rotovegas n wasn’t going to set foot in Humping and Fisting.

Also purchased a Klymet(??) air mattress(or what ever you call them)

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Ended up with a RAB 700(can’t remember model of bag) courtesy of Hamills Rotovegas.

No Black Stag 800s available Hamilton or Rotovegas n wasn’t going to set foot in Humping and Fisting.

Also purchased a Klymet(??) air mattress(or what ever you call them)

Be interested in your views after a bit… she’s chilly enough to give it a test.

Dan M

Silk liners are over rated i reckon - doubt they add bugger all insulation as i was using them from the early 90's when they hit the market and found them more of a nuisance when you moved around in your sleeping bag. Actually still have it in the cupboard after all those years. Liners good for keeping your sleeping bag clean though. For the last 2 decades i have used a cotton liner (i have two of them) made for sleeping bags which for me has made a vast difference in a bit of extra insulation compared to the old silk one. . A few grams heavier than silk no doubt but worth it. I still have my Fairy Down Scorpian 1988 vintage NZ made plus 200 grams or so added by Twin Needle in Chch. They made comment at the time that my well used Scorpian sleeping bag was still in good nick, the zips never failing but the outer a wee bit faded with long term use in the outdoors. No rips ore tears in the material at all. I have an old Domex Trapper for overnight piss drinking excursions - that alone has lasted since about 1984. Now passed onto my son.....