Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Boot leather product

Have have some GriSport Kaikouras (best boots I've EVER owned BTW) and have been using Huberd Shoe Grease and its been pretty good.
    Leather feels good, but I'm not convinced its the best waterproofing (although it is ok..)

Other than Snoseal and Dubbin etc, is there any other products around that you recommend?

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    My "bro'n'law" ( you've meet him Spanners ) that works in the leather industry says that synthetics are the way to go & natural leather treatments like bees wax etc arn't all they're cracked up to be as they don't last as long & don't inhibit mil drew & mold growth

I use a synthic product called Elephant Leather Preserver or some call it "Elephant wax" & it seems to be pretty good stuff, they sell it from European leather care in Petone
    Last edited by Philipo; 31-12-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

SOunds like what I need

Is that the official name for it?
    I'll have to find soem in Dorkland unless you drive down there to get some and deliver to me

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Have have some GriSport Kaikouras (best boots I've EVER owned BTW)
    Interesting...

I currently have the Gri Sport Hunters - but they are done and dusted after two years of abuse.

Seriously considering the Kaikouras.... just never worn a boot with such high ankle support.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    SOunds like what I need

Is that the official name for it?
    I'll have to find soem in Dorkland unless you drive down there to get some and deliver to me

Or you could take the train down & pick some up

Heres their webby- Colourlock Industries Ltd

or email Craig @ leathercare@paradise.net.nz & tell em PHILIPO sent ya
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Interesting...

I currently have the Gri Sport Hunters - but they are done and dusted after two years of abuse.

Seriously considering the Kaikouras.... just never worn a boot with such high ankle support.
    I've had them for 3+ years, no sign of crapping out - hence why I want to keep them in good nick.
    The Hubards Shoe Grease was the recomended and supplied stuff as it apparently had been tested as the best for the leather - I believe it, but I want something with a little more water proofing ability.
    I got the 1st pair that were brought in by the Importer as a sample (friend of mine) - just happeneded to fit, and I just happened to be doing some work for him that day
    They went to Europe and toured the factorys etc - they are made just down the road from the Asolo factory and apparently they share materials, soles, etc
    I'd never worn high boots before, but will not buy low ones agian - AWESOME.
    I also got a pair of Hunters (gave them to the old man) and they are a different class of boot - the Hunter is more in the Hitec class of boot where the Kaikoura is more Merrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Or you could take the train down & pick some up

Heres their webby- Colourlock Industries Ltd

or email Craig @ leathercare@paradise.net.nz & tell em PHILIPO sent ya
    Will get onto him.
    Family discount or wanker tax applies??

Ejected
    I hear sheeps piss works best, and wouldn't be much worse than a lot of the other crap out there.

I think it has way more on how you apply it. Get the leather HOT, get the "insert favourite crap here' HOT, as in liquid then it'll soak in, then it'll work best. Put it on to cold, any of it and it sits on the outside....

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I hear sheeps piss works best, and wouldn't be much worse than a lot of the other crap out there.

I think it has way more on how you apply it. Get the leather HOT, get the "insert favourite crap here' HOT, as in liquid then it'll soak in, then it'll work best. Put it on to cold, any of it and it sits on the outside....
    That would be correct Wirehunt.

Grangers products seem to work well for me.

Footwear Proofer | Grangers

You can get it at most outdoor stores.

Personally I don't like the Lowa branded wax, but like the Meindel Sportwax quite a bit. At present im using the Hubberds Shoe Grease and think its doing an alright job of looking after the leather. However it does take several dressings before Im happy with it being completely soaked in.

I totally agree with Wirehunt, the boots need to be warm and the liquid hot and runny. And if you have time leave it to soak in then apply another dressing and so on.
    I have two pairs off boots and swap between them weekly to keep them up to qual.

Other thing is I can remember reading that you shouldn't use Dubbin on Nubuck leather (unsure what the GriSports are like).

The Original Striker
    I just use skellerup earthtec boot wax. Im in boots in the dirt 12/14 hours a day and its working so far, cheap too
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Spanners I have GriSport Kaikouras too and I use SnoSeal on them. It works a treat just need to use some elbow grease and rub it in. Can use a hair drier too to melt it in a bit or do it in front of a fire.

Does it last as far as waterproofing for a weekend?? The Grease I was/am using is ok - just wanting better and somthign that will last 3-4 days rather than 1-2

I find it lasts a while, just have to rub it in well. The issue if using any synthetic/oil based stuff is the chemicals can destroy the waterproof membrane inside ie. GoreTex, Sympatex, E-Vent etc.