Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Boots, a blister dilemma

Under the big hill at the southern end of the Ruahines

Boots, a blister dilemma

Hey team

I have a bit of a dilemma... Went out for a walk with the companion up the Ruahines last weekend and threw my boots (Evolves) on with my regular sock combo. All was well for the first 45 mins of flat travelling, then I hit the bottom of the slog (Coppermine loop track if anyone knows it). 10 minutes into the climb I can feel my heel starting to lift in the boots and I can feel the outer point of my heel starting to rub, sure enough another 5 minutes into the climb I have a blister on each foot, which I have to suck up and deal with for the next hour of the walk. The thing is, everyone has just told me that "those boots are rubbish" or "they are obviously the wrong size" but then yesterday I went all around Palmy North trying to find a pair of boots that feel like they "fit" better but as soon as I went to push up some stairs or a ramp on my toes I could feel the heel starting to lift again.

So, does anyone else have this issue / has had this issue? Can anyone recommend a solution? A guy at Bivouac recommended hikers wool to pad out the area that is rubbing, I guess that would suffice but I'd rather just find a way to be able to put my boots and socks on without the facking around.

Any help/advise would be massive. Cheers guys!

Have a look at some orthotic inserts might have to go to a foot clinic store think theres one in palmy they should sort it out.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Under the big hill at the southern end of the Ruahines
    Yeah, that was going to be the next course of action. Hopefully they don't charge like wounded bulls to find out nothing though! I tried some off the shelf inserts at Bivouac but they made not difference. Maybe the proper orthotic ones will be different.

You sure they're fitting you properly? Often hear of guys with boots that give blisters and their boots are 1/2 a size too big.

If not, how much have you worn them in? I wear boots daily, and that way I'm sure they won't give me blisters should I go on a big walk.

Other options, you could try decent inserts, or a better sock, try bridgedales or a similar type hiking sock. Youtube has some different methods of lacing that may help too.
    Greig1605 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Inserts and a heel lift potentially- would be in the offing but Marty and Josh are right making sure you get a non-riding pair of boots is so important. I Have a bit of a heel spur left over from a cycling accident and extra build up so I have to be careful which i choose.

You can do a bit with lacing techniques to lessen side slide and front back. I've gone with a hight calf cut to minimise the slide up and down on the backs of the heels on boots but your Soleus needs to be able to handle the squeeze they provide too.

Good socks that minimise sweat moisture build up creating a slick surface are worth their weight as are ultra thins inside a normal pair to act as wicking / drying layer Thin thorlo running socks work for me with this.
    Speak to what works fro the boys out clambering the screeslopes they'll know in spades what also works.
    Greig1605 likes this.

Some boots just wont suit your foot shape and gait.
    I spent nigh on 700 bucks on some Lowas when a new model come out, walked round shop in em yep they fit.
    5 mins into 3 hour walk my heal was lifting and even lacing so tight it cut of the circulation could not stop it, I sold on trade me for a tidy loss.
    They just didnt suit my foot and gait I have never had problems with heal lift before.
    As for orthotics spending another 500od bucks to make the wrong boot fit seems counter productive to me.
    TJM likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

never let me down

Name:  jandals.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  71.2 KB
    Greig1605 and Greys0n like this.

Theres an adhesive tape you can buy from the chemist called sleek(or sleak). Its sticky on one side and the other side has a slippery surface to remove friction. Apply it like you would a bandaid across your heels where you think you will get blisters. Used to use it alot years ago when I had shitty fitting boots......

Ok you Drs what do I do about Achille tendons with lumps on them?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

try wearing liner sock inside your hiking socks. just removes that friction. heal lift isnt bad if the amount of friction is minimal. like rubbing you hands together. very light pressure, no heat, lots of pressure, lots of heat.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

TJM
    Last year I had a similar problem. Bought a well known quality boot and every time I went out for a hunt bad blisters appeared on the bump of each heal.
    I tried blister packs which helped but they didnt resolve the issue. Even though I had paid a good sum of money for the boots I had to get rid of them.
    I ended up with a pair of stoney creeks which were about half the price and havent had any issues since. One thing i did notice on the old boot interiors
    where my heels which have a slight lump on them, there was a seem or join in the leather. The new ones are smoother in this area.
    Im sure that the original boots were very good for some people but they just didnt suit my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Ok you Drs what do I do about Achille tendons with lumps on them?
    Foot transplant?
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    try wearing liner sock inside your hiking socks. just removes that friction. heal lift isnt bad if the amount of friction is minimal. like rubbing you hands together. very light pressure, no heat, lots of pressure, lots of heat.
    I use the ultra thin inner socks and good heel toe fitting light socks. Heavy socks just get too hot and fill up my boot from the inside with sweat bleurggh!

If you want to be Gucci you can get compression socks like the triathletes wear underneath and you get the advantages fro compression as well as a good wicking layer and lighter socks.
    @Maca depending on where the nodules are side or back will depend if you can handl a high cut boot or not in addition to those already mentioned. Go to a sports shot like athletes foot and get them to for you for a pair of shoes and work out wide last height and where your foot lands e.g. Heel toe walker vs toe walker will decide the brand and what works go for the similar feel in a boot. I know cyclists and runners who have upwards of 10 pairs of shoes in the cupboard because that's the style that work for you they're almost superstitious about it. If the nodules are irritated by normal boots perhaps look at a boot that has softer support round archilles like Salomon gtx for instance. I bought mine 50 percent off in Kathmandu sale and my high cuts are aoraki's due to the last being similar.

Re orthotics the pharmacy based ones that are a hundy bucks are getting pretty good now and modular so you don't need to spend hundys but that said its the best money I ever spent. They are your transport out ther they deserve an investment. Fortunately I got mine while I as racing and the same set up for my runners transfers to my boots 5 years later...
    A couple of suggestions to ponder...
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 11-12-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    Maca49 likes this.

Try painting finger nail polish on the inside of the boots around the heel area. Sounds bloody dumb but it works

The moldable rubber orthotics (like 'formthotics' brand) are fairly cheap, think the last pair I got were about $40 but I'll need more at some stage because they do wear out after a few years of hammering. They're good though, I use them as replacement insoles in all my boots/shoes (depending on fit, I sometimes slip them on top of the original insole to fill in space and add cushioning). Just trim them to fit neatly in the boot, after a couple of trips the top surface will have molded to your feet and gives a really good fit.

Another thing to try is experimenting with different lacing patterns. I was getting excessive heel lift in my current boots, and if I laced them tight enough to prevent it they crushed the top of my foot and gave me sore feet/knees instead. I re-laced them but skipped the lace crossover on top of my foot. Problem solved - I can crank the laces tight enough to hold my foot/ankle well without squashing my foot at the same time. Simple but effective.

Name:  2015-12-12 16.13.00a.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  593.0 KB
    Carpe Diem likes this.