Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By steadwah

Thread: Briggs and Stratton Inverter Generators - Feedback

Briggs and Stratton Inverter Generators - Feedback

Hi forum,

I'm in the market for an inverter generator and have been eyeing up the Briggs and Stratton inverter generators in the ~2.5-3kW range.

I have considered the Honda but if I can save some coin I would like to, as there is a considerable price jump for similar wattages.

Not going to be used in a commercial or everyday situation, more as a backup for power outages and for extended off-grid adventures as required.

Also not interested in the cheap lesser-known/knockoffs as I want something reliable and easily serviced (if I cant do it myself)/parts available in NZ.

Cheers in advance.

I was in a similar position a year or so ago and spent a lot of time looking around. It would be nice to get a Honda or Yamaha but I just couldn't justify the cost for the amount of use.

The more Chinese models you look at the more you realise they are all coming from the same factories just with different stickers and colours and quite significant variations in retailers mark ups. I think its better to buy from a bricks and mortar retailer locally so at least if it does crap out you can easily take it back. Its good to have a look at them too as some just look and feel cheap and nasty in the flesh too, especially the Mitre10 ones.

I ended up getting this model from Repco at their Christmas sale for about $650 I think. https://www.repco.co.nz/en/tools-equ...arch=generator.

I haven't used it much as its only a back up but it hasn't missed a beat so far, starts literally first pull even after not being used for months. I put good quality oil in it, it has a metal fuel tank and I put fuel stabiliser in it so hopefully the fuel will last ok. If it craps out it will no doubt be cheaper just to buy a new one. Touch wood it doesn't crap out when I actually really need it

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    I have a 2400 Briggs and Stratton inverter generator, haven’t had any issues, pretty quiet. Was going to get a Honda but couldn’t really justify the extra cost as it doesn’t get that much use.
    Yep the Briggs and Stratton inverters seem good units, they have representation in NZ as well
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I’ve been running the 2kw Briggs invertor generator for the last 4 years. It’s been trouble free and starts first time every time.
    I can’t see any benefit in paying more for the Honda.

Cheers for taking the time to comment guys. Still leaning towards the Briggs and Stratton option, but will put some more effort into looking into the suggested alternatives. And I will be purchasing from a brick and mortar premises.
    Maca49 likes this.