Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Butt Stock Ammo Pouch - What have you got?

Butt Stock Ammo Pouch - What have you got?

Couple of years ago I bought two of AliExpress. They were such a poor fit I tossed them. They were about worth what I paid for them.

Then last year I found an elastic sleeve holding 9x .22 LR rounds which I bought two of and put them on a couple of old single shot rifles. They tended to slip-slide around so I used electrical tape on each end. Not that pretty but works a treat. Don't have them handy to photo tho.

Spending my Covid-Jail time watching hunting vids and garnering ideas has brought me back to the value potential of having a few rounds on the stock of my centrefire rifles that have fixed mags. Especially for goat operations. Not so much for deer stalking perhaps. Comfort factor tho having a margin of error for a solo, dog-less, pig hunt.

So what do you have, how have you secured it so it doesn't move around, where did you get and if you think its the bees nuts, where can I get one? Please? Photos would be great. Thks, J.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

TwinNeedle in Christchurch make nice ones.
    chainsaw likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I had one on my .22 for years, carrying a 2nd magazine and a small folding knife.
    Was affixed with a number of adjustable length velcro straps. Never moved around, and was comfortable. Only removed when I put a scope on that sat higher, and I put on a cheek riser.
    Looks exactly like the twin needle one.
    It's now surplus, so open to selling it if you cannot find anything else.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    I had one on my .22 for years, carrying a 2nd magazine and a small folding knife.
    Was affixed with a number of adjustable length velcro straps. Never moved around, and was comfortable. Only removed when I put a scope on that sat higher, and I put on a cheek riser.
    Looks exactly like the twin needle one.
    It's now surplus, so open to selling it if you cannot find anything else.
    Looking for centrefire version. 6.5mm - 303B

I have the Bushbuck one which I really like. It is held on with 3 adjustable velcro straps so should fit most stocks.They come with foam inserts to adjust stock hieght but I found them too big so made my own. Think I paid $30 ? for mine

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter Al.7mm08 View Post
    I have the Bushbuck one which I really like. It is held on with 3 adjustable velcro straps so should fit most stocks.They come with foam inserts to adjust stock hieght but I found them too big so made my own. Think I paid $30 ? for mine

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Yup looks good, be happy to buy NZ
    hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.

I have a Bushbuck one coming in the mail. Mainly wanted to raise the comb height and was a cheap solution
    Jhon likes this.

Home made leather
    45/70
    338 lap mag

Name:  IMG_20191221_184330.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  5.70 MB
    Name:  IMG_20200423_130301.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  3.69 MB

And yes I'm a lefty...
    short swede, MB, Pixie Z and 3 others like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

MB
    Got this from WildWildDill on Etsy a little while back. They are a small company based in Europe that make leather good to to order. Price was reasonable and quality is good, but long shipping time. Ammo holders seem to have disappeared from their website, but would be worth an email. A lot of hassle for an ammo holder, but couldn't find what I was looking for in NZ.

https://www.etsy.com/nz/shop/WildWil...f=yr_purchases

Jhon likes this.

Don't buy the al cheapo's from trade me, zippers break.
    Jhon likes this.

Some nice offerings there gents, I love the leather look on those rifles, suits the lever very much and well done on the home made. I think for my bolt action and all weather hunting I'll probably avoid leather. Back in my distant youth I made hand carved and colour dyed leather goods to supplement my student income. Might have to dig the old tools and skills out for my lever guns. But for the bolts and time wise I'll be buying something.

Keep them coming folk, some good pics there...

I just use a $20 elastic sleeve from GC on my Baikal. Fits real snug. Just had to cut a wee hole in the bottom for the sling attachment.
    Love the look of some of those leather ones, but the Baikal gets used for a lot of bush bashing etc & I wouldn’t wanna ruin a nice leather one like those.
    Name:  98616C63-2278-48F0-8951-CBFE7CF85F06.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  610.2 KB
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ripped undies View Post
    whats wrong with an old school bullet belt around your waist
    Much cooler looking on your rifle.

Seriously though, some don't like wearing crap around their waist, especially bush stalking.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 16-09-2021 at 08:35 PM.

I used to use the elastic ones and liked them but found with the big kicking calibers or shotties they slide forwards under recoil . The 338 used to have a neoprene suppressor cover but that used to work it's way forward under recoil and got cooked in the muzzle blast so gave that idea up too .
    Jhon likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by ripped undies View Post
    whats wrong with an old school bullet belt around your waist
    With a single shot, like my 22, I can fire, operate, the bolt, locate a round from the butt and reload ready to fire again without lowering the rifle and while maintaining my sight picture. Not quite so important perhaps with a repeater except if you are, say, culling goats then being able to load one or two more rounds while holding the sight picture might be important. Otherwise I agree, if it is just to reload a magazine from after the shooting is done and before the next quarry is sighted then in the pocket, on the belt, in the pack even works just fine. Then it becomes a matter of personal preference and maybe aesthetics.
    Pixie Z and ripped undies like this.