Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By H.M
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 3 Post By Hahn

Thread: Cactus Huntaway DIY frame…

H.M

Cactus Huntaway DIY frame…

Wondering if anyone that has one of these packs has made some sort of frame sheet that slides in where foam insert goes?? Love the pack and use it for mostly everything its bombproof and the perfect size for day and overnight hunts, but when loaded full can get a tad uncomfy so thinking about making up a pvc or alloy frame to slide in to stiffen it up a tad.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Wondering if anyone that has one of these packs has made some sort of frame sheet that slides in where foam insert goes?? Love the pack and use it for mostly everything its bombproof and the perfect size for day and overnight hunts, but when loaded full can get a tad uncomfy so thinking about making up a pvc or alloy frame to slide in to stiffen it up a tad.
    I normally take a thin piece of closed cell foam that i use to sit on when glassing etc, good for wet ground, or hard sharp stoney ground up the tops etc. I simply have this cut to the right size to slide down into the back of my pack/s. I use either a Cactus Huntaway or a Macpac Ascent, so i have it cut to fit in the smaller pack.

I find this can also help avoid hard bone or whatever jabbing into your back, if you haven't packed the load well enough to prevent that. Just a thought that may help you out without actually altering the pack.
    RV1 likes this.

I have a great outdoors pack with an aluminum U frame. The frame fits perfectly with the huntaway foam still in place. I'm still to try it out but can't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe you could bend one up. It's just an ali pipe with caps on the end. I know what you mean when it's loaded up. They could also do with thicker and wider shoulder straps.

I'd get rid off it i might know somebody that might be interested.
    Joe_90 likes this.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I normally take a thin piece of closed cell foam that i use to sit on when glassing etc, good for wet ground, or hard sharp stoney ground up the tops etc. I simply have this cut to the right size to slide down into the back of my pack/s. I use either a Cactus Huntaway or a Macpac Ascent, so i have it cut to fit in the smaller pack.

I find this can also help avoid hard bone or whatever jabbing into your back, if you haven't packed the load well enough to prevent that. Just a thought that may help you out without actually altering the pack.
    This is a cool idea for sure and yes the shit poking you in the back can be annoying but as you say can be prevented by packing wisely. Cheers.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Hahn View Post
    I have a great outdoors pack with an aluminum U frame. The frame fits perfectly with the huntaway foam still in place. I'm still to try it out but can't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe you could bend one up. It's just an ali pipe with caps on the end. I know what you mean when it's loaded up. They could also do with thicker and wider shoulder straps.
    Yep have heard these fit. I was also thinking of using a couple bits of alloy flat and tapping up sharp ends and sliding them in there. I might have a play around have a few materials at work i could use. Cheers.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I'd get rid off it i might know somebody that might be interested.
    😂 i do switch out gear a lot 😂 but can not see myself selling this one i like how simple they are, has most things you need and nothing you don't. I got rid of the scabbard as found it was useless unless pack was full, rifle now just straps to the side tight and firm no matter how little is in it.
    bigbear likes this.

Any chance of a few pics?
    Cordite likes this.

Great outdoors caribou 35 frame in a cactus huntaway

It's a very tight but perfect fit as you can see from the photos, probably slightly tighter than the pack it came out of.
    Approximate dimensions as best I could measure: 258mm x 495mm x 17mm (11/16?) dia. The curve is approx 35 mm from floor to center of pipe about a third long.

Name:  20220302_171758.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  162.4 KB
    Name:  20220302_173207.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  166.4 KB
    Name:  20220302_173215.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  191.6 KB
    Name:  20220302_173309.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  195.7 KB
    Name:  20220302_181659.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  79.6 KB
    Name:  20220302_181817.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  121.3 KB
    Name:  20220302_181858.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  130.2 KB
    Micky Duck, Bobba and RV1 like this.

H.M
    It's a very tight but perfect fit as you can see from the photos, probably slightly tighter than the pack it came out of.
    Approximate dimensions as best I could measure: 258mm x 495mm x 17mm (11/16?) dia. The curve is approx 35 mm from floor to center of pipe about a third long.

Attachment 191544
    Attachment 191545
    Attachment 191546
    Attachment 191547
    Attachment 191548
    Attachment 191549
    Attachment 191550
    Thanks for this. I could make that up easily with some pvc pipe at work. I might give it a go and will post results. Cheers

H.M
    So made a frame out of pvc 15 mm pipe. Fits in there with the foam insert. Feels comfy and a lot more sturdy with pack full. Will see how it goes on the hill in a couple weeks time.

Name:  3AFFF1E3-BE2E-4056-A1F7-E8B7069FD2EB.jpeg
Views: 356
Size:  6.13 MBName:  A594B207-1336-4B6F-B35C-BF58A0B46DE8.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  6.04 MBName:  962440B0-5C8A-4B51-9D11-3E1C9B4D8D92.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  229.9 KB

So you place the bend at the top facing away from your head?have a miklat I might try one on,

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    So you place the bend at the top facing away from your head?have a miklat I might try one on,
    @The bomb I think it should curve the other way keeping the load close to the spine. Small of the back to over the shoulder. Pretty sure that's how it was in the purple pack above when I pulled it out.

@H.M how'd it work out?

H.M
    @H.M how'd it work out?
    Not great haha. I the bottom pushed against my back so i removed that and had it like a U shape instead but found it still more comfy without the frame. So il call that one a fail.