Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By H.M

Thread: Cactus packs

Cactus packs

Is the hunterway pack much bigger worth the money over the miklat diffidently a better looking harness over the miklat people who have them feed back please thanks for anyone’s input

I have a huntaway and it's a brilliant bit of kit that I would expect will outlive me. It's the perfect size for overnighters or hut missions and you can strap your meat on the sides in pillow cases or just whole back legs. I haven't tried a miklat but expect it would be to small for overnighters unless going very light in summer.
    sometimes1 likes this.

I have a Miklet it's a well made day pack but I find it way too small for overnight and even too small as a day pack if you shoot a couple of animals.
    Also it doesn't have a chest strap which allows the shoulder strap to keep falling off.
    I have gone to a Exped lighting as a day pack as it rolls up and can fit a good load in it.
    Pic with 2 yearlings in it.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad likes this.

I have just gone through this a couple weeks ago and decided on the huntaway.

I am still waiting for mine as I decided I wanted a drinking tube access hole put over the left shoulder, $40 for the mod. They do 10% off for some work places to so it cost just under retail all up. I did most of it over the phone with Sian in Christchurh, she was fantastic to deal with and answered all of my silly questions and finding the answers when she didn't know off hand. I was so happy with the service I ticked up a scabbard to go with it!

@25/08 IMP They sell a sternum strap that you could put on it.

@sometimes1 here’s a review of the the huntaway https://youtu.be/OFnkjTOPzrg
    25 /08 IMP likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

H.M
    I have had the huntaway for about a year now, awesome pack made very well and will last a long time. Plenty big enough for overnighters and meat if you pack light. Have had some weight in mine and comfy as. I also have the scabbard but i find it not great when pack is half full as rifle flops around, i just strap to pack without scabbard in this case, but with a full pack the scabbard works great. The bladder tube hole would be great i might look into that.
    Hahn and sometimes1 like this.

Thanks very much for everyone’s input

If i was to buy one it would be the huntaway, also i have thought about getting straps on the back so if using a cactus scabbard it sits center on your pack.

H.M
    ^^^ yep that would work much better. Like where the twinneedle packs scabbard is, use to have a mollyme pack, scabbard was awesome but pack juat did not fit me right.

Had a miklat but upgraded to a huntaway. Better size and harness for a couple of days hunting.

Just got back from a 4 day trip using my huntaway, I use it for any trip from overnights to a few days away, tent strapped to the outside. Carries the weight well. I have a scabbard but don't use it anymore, strap my rifle straight to the sides using the straps it comes with.

I also have a miklat but found it too small for overnights, just ordered a foray for bigger hunts and winter missions as I like to try and keep tent etc inside the pack