Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tanqueray
  • 1 Post By uk_exile
  • 1 Post By sightpicture

Thread: Camping Gear Recommendations

Camping Gear Recommendations

I am contemplating buying (a) a three way fridge and (b) a generator for when the missus and I head away into the backblocks with our trailer tent. Any recommendations re brands, size (and power re generator) please? The only brand of fridge I know is Waeco and am thinking compressor type. I know little about generators but think one might be handy for inflating my dinghy, powering lights etc.

My boss has the Waeco one for his yacht, and says it works well. As far as generators are concerned, the little Honda inverter ones are awesome, but expensive. We have a Bunnings Ryobi one at work that we’ve had for a few years and goes well.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

If you're getting a camping generator get a Honda EU series https://www.hondapowerequipment.co.n...le-generators/
    Really quiet and reliable as. I tried a chinese copy and never quite as good but ok for a few months, then it failed and would only generate on cold days. No way to fix it.
    Honda replaced the EU2000i with EU2200i about 12mths ago so theres still a few around for run out price.
    https://www.hondapowerequipment.co.n...le-generators/
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Great to have the comforts of home but your 3 way fridge will use about a $1 a day for gas, flatten a 12 volt battery in a few hours and cost a small fortune to run off a generator...you will need a long lead for the generator so you at least get a bit of quiet...LED lights give the best light rather than LPG hissing, kero lights must be a thing of the past now....one needs a shit load of petrol for the generator to be carried around...grandad used a meat safe hung in a tree and a running stream for keeping things cool...worked for him, should work for you...if generator fucks out, what is plan B?

@ROKTOY might know about fridges, there was a little 2 Stroke generater on here recently, don't know if it sold

I only know what I know, and what suits us for our camping.
    I went with a 12/240 Volt Engel. It had to be robust as we travel very rough tracks. Didn't want gas as it is another heavy object to have to carry, and they don't appreciate bouncing around in dusty conditions too well.
    We take a small cylinder for cooking but would need to go to a 9kg if we were to also run a fridge.
    I have a dedicated house battery that is charged from a solar panel, as well as being able to charge from the engine when running.
    We use led lighting that runs off the same battery.
    Honda is the way to go for a genny, quiet and economical, we borrow one to power a lodge we often use as a base camp for large group 4wd and hunting trips

I'll second the Honda generators' recommendation. Quiet and easy to start - and while it might not make such a difference in most of NZ, they suck down less-than-quality petrol without complaint. Excellent reliability and stable power output to the point where we use 'em, in context, to power medical devices when off the grid.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.