Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Carrying Water . . . . . what's your prefered method?

Carrying Water . . . . . what's your prefered method?

I was reading a thread about bladders and thought it would be interesting to see what methods others use for lugging that much needed supply of water when they're in the hills. I personally hate bladders. I have tried a few different types, but they all seem to give the water a horrible taste. I also disliked the water getting warm on my back. I tried freezing the bladder before hunts, but it all started to seem a bit too labour intensive for my liking.

I have been using a 800ml stainless bottle for years now and it's my favourite way taking this precious resource with me. I have the bottle in a carry pouch that I sling over my head and secure to my hip/side with the waist belt of my day pack. There's no bottle bouncing around, it's readily accessible, the water is always cool and taint free. I refill from streams and/or DOC huts as the need arise. I carry water purifier tablets if I think the water might be dodgy. This suits my hunting/tramping needs well. I'd be interested in what other people do to keep themselves refreshed.

By the way, these are the bottles I really like.

EcoTanka Sports Stainless Steel Drink Bottle 800ml | Trade Me
    Last edited by The Rifleman; 30-05-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

That is exactly what I use.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I use a bladder in my day pack and have also carried an old army water bottle on my belt
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I just use a plastic bottle. As i empty it i just squeeze it so the water is right at the rim then put the cap on. That stops the sloshing sounds as i move. to inflate when i need to refill just give it a good blow. No bad taste and dont cost much. But if you do use a bladder and want to get rid of the rubber taste then juice lots of lemons and leave the juice in the bladder for 24 hours. Then give a good rinse. Sorted.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.

i carry a small cup in daypack, and drink out of creeks and puddles

I use the bladder out of cask wine boxes. They fit over 3 litres in them but i only fill them as much as required to cut down on weight.
    They squash down to bugger all when empty and they are suprisingly durable. and they dont slosh round in the pack and can take any shape required when there is limited room in the pack!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    i carry a small cup in daypack, and drink out of creeks and puddles

Wild man wild!. . . . lol . . . . can't beat travelin' light . . .
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    I use the bladder out of cask wine boxes. They fit over 3 litres in them but i only fill them as much as required to cut down on weight.
    They squash down to bugger all when empty and they are suprisingly durable. and they dont slosh round in the pack and can take any shape required when there is limited room in the pack!

I'm gonna give that one a crack the next time I walk in for a overnight or two. Cheers!

Surely it would be a far more exciting hunt if you just drank the bladder of wine????

While hunting I use a hydro bladder.
    If I can I will leave the bladder empty and drink from rivers etc to reduce carrying the excess weight. When leaving the last water supply I will then fill the bladder and drink from that.

Forgot to mention They also make a good pillow if you blow one up with air

SiB
    what's the easy way to fill wine bladders with water then? - that's the issue that's stopped me in the past.
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

I have a bladded in the pack if I'm going up on short distances on tops because there is so little water available. But if I'm going light I got a filter bottle from Kiwideals online with a carbon filter in it. fill it up at camp and can top up with any water sourch available then.

I mainly just use a small (300ml) plastic soft drink bottle, refill as required, though at the end of the day there is normally bugger all of it gone. I have used a 2l bladder on the last wallaby hunt which was good and did pretty much empty it one long day. I just find the bottle easier to use.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I always take a packet of de-hydrated water with me, and just activate it from a creek.
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I always take a packet of de-hydrated water with me, and just activate it from a creek.
    I too am full of hot air!!!!