Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daypacks

Daypacks

So my old 40l fleece Huntech daypack is getting pretty stuffed. It's been a great pack, after i got the straps reinforced when they gave out it would carry 25kg no worries, albeit with some discomfort due to the lack of any decent harness/padding. I liked the internal liner as it made it possible to segregate some gear from the main compartment. I liked the drawstring on the canvas bag as well. Plus the decent sized front pocket was great for chucking a headtorch, a few muesli bars, batteries, ammo etc in. Once the pack was full of meat and gear this saved much rummaging around.

Ideally I'd like something about 5L bigger, I'd like a better harness/padding, I'd definitely like a front pocket, I hate rummaging for small shit in a big pack. When I look at what's out there I see the cactus miklat, looks ok but no front pocket, the twin needle molle me is only 35L and has no front pocket. I'm leary of anything hunters element stoney creek due to past quality issues with their gear.

Then you've got all the fancy overseas stuff, from Kuiu, Sitka, erblestock, markhor, blaser etc which once my mates had stopped giving me shit for buying it might be OK but most of it is pretty expensive and some is gimmicky, and its hard to judge how it would go in the long term.

There must something out there? what are my options?

Have you checked out k2 Antarctic products? Made in NZ too

Yeah i hadn't realised they made 50L pack with a front pocket it would be interesting to take a look at one, cheers

Macpac weka 40 litre.. plenty has been written about it before now... I've been running mine for the last year or so and I'm pretty happy. . Plenty big enough for 3-4 days and can fit the best part of a boned out hind on the way out... you're right though 45 - 50 would probably be better. .

2nd hand or on sale macpac pack for my vote, overkill for some but with winter hunting with puffer jacket, tripod, camera, food , bush coat, space gets gobbled up. I'm happy with a larger empty pack and chinch the straps in tight, single dry bag for gear keeps it all together and narrow up your back and not in a heap at the bottom
    Last edited by Kooza; 29-08-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Just had a look at the weka. only thing that looks odd is that vertical zip on the front, is that access to a front Pocket? bags with zips on pockets and compartments that go all the way around or are vertical tend to get caught on shit and dump the contents. I have a smaller 60 or 65 litre older style cascade with a front pocket great pack but just a bit big as a day pack for longer walk in trips i take a 90 cascade and stuff the 40L huntech inside.
    Last edited by yerimaginaryM8; 29-08-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Exped Thunder 50 L - very cool light weight pack. Check them out on YouTube. Bivouac sell them locally.

Will check that out too, but no front pocket plus at a glance (might well be wrong) looks like the fabric wouldn't cope with the matagouri and spaniards too well...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Cactus do the Huntaway. Bigger and more suited for hunting than the Miklat (just).
    Exped look nice but 25kg is a big ask.
    One Planet might be the middle ground with higher tech but more robust?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Cheers all definitely some things to check out particularly the weka as it will come up cheap in macpac sales

I use a macpac ravine. Single large pocket with a small pocket in the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    Just had a look at the weka. only thing that looks odd is that vertical zip on the front, is that access to a front Pocket? bags with zips on pockets and compartments that go all the way around or are vertical tend to get caught on shit and dump the contents. I have a smaller 60 or 65 litre older style cascade with a front pocket great pack but just a bit big as a day pack for longer walk in trips i take a 90 cascade and stuff the 40L huntech inside.
    Yea the front pocket is more of a map etc pocket. .. good for fa really. .. the lid pocket is good. . Straps need playing around with. Definitely not perfect. .but I couldn't find one that was! !! Definitely wait for sale at macpac. .they always have one!

I've been weighing up pack options as well, what size to go with, what make, getting the right fit, etc. Nearly as hard as trying to pick the 'right' caliber or rifle.
    I dont want to get into a long hike and find out the pack just isn't going to be comfortable, or worse it brakes. So obviously steering clear of the cheap trademe chinese packs.

Does anyone use any ex-military gear? I'd assume they would of spent some R&D into packs and proven robust yet comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Projects View Post
    I've been weighing up pack options as well, what size to go with, what make, getting the right fit, etc. Nearly as hard as trying to pick the 'right' caliber or rifle.
    I dont want to get into a long hike and find out the pack just isn't going to be comfortable, or worse it brakes. So obviously steering clear of the cheap trademe chinese packs.

Does anyone use any ex-military gear? I'd assume they would of spent some R&D into packs and proven robust yet comfortable.
    Robust yes, comfortable ehh not so much. Packs are like shoes though so YMMV

I have a Tasman tiger back pack, and it is built super tough. I am not sure if they are available here as they are made in Germany .