Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Do everything pack

Do everything pack

Hey guys,
    I’ve been downsizing all my hunting gear to only high quality essentials, and the next thing I need to look at is my pack.
    I currently have a Macpac Ascent (older NZ made one) and a Huntech 40l day pack. For the day trips and overnighters in the Ruahines that I am limited to now (young family) I’m finding the Ascent just too big and also too heavy considering it’s only 1/2 full. Having used the Huntech 40L a bit recently, I think the capacity is good for up to a 3 day trip. With the current market of ultralight gear, I was wondering if there are any good lightweight packs that people recommend at about the 40L size? The one problem I can see with the ultralight stuff is loading it up with meat. Most are not rated for that kind of weight.....
    The new Tatonka stealth 35+10 comes to mind, anyone got one? It’s 2kg empty, but can carry 35kg apparently
    https://www.tightlines.co.nz/Item/St...Pack-35plus10L

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    If you plan to come home with more than just your spare socks I’d suggest a few litres of free space is necessary. 40L is pretty tight with a boned or animal onboard plus your gear.
    stagstalker likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I just carry my Tatonka 70L pack everywhere it's sub 5kg but can carry more than I can before it's an issue.
    always plenty room for everything on a short trip and beats trying to cram shit into a smaller pack.
    the other issue with a lot of ultra light packs is they need to be full to carry well otherwise they won't sit right.
    that's my thoughts anyway.
    I guess it's down to what suits the individual.
    I have a Spika day pack (around 35L from memory) but it's just too small for anything practical so it is pretty much relegated as a range bag or rimfire spotlighting gear bag.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I understand of the hunt light concept with a small pack but what happens when you shoot an animal and have a heap of meat? I much prefer to pack light with my larger lightweight pack and then have ample room for meat. No way you could fit a fully boned animal plus 3 days gear into 40l?

I use an Osprey Aether BTW.
    dannyb likes this.

Have a look at the Cactus Huntaway. 45+10 litre. 1.6kg and built tough.
    Hunty1 and Ross Nolan like this.

The old macpac ascent is an excellent large pack. Pretty light and super tough for its weight. I use one for multi day hunts. for shorter trips (up to 3 days) I use a Cactus Huntaway, can get a boned out red in plus gear. I am pretty minimalist when it comes to gear though. It's an excellent small pack that is lightweight for its strength and durability. Mines one of the first cactus made and has been dragged through some absolute crap and carried some huge weights, still looks near new. Like to see some of the ultralight tramping packs do that.

Agree with the above. I like a good canvas pack. You need it when you are pushing through shit. I rate cactus gear.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I understand of the hunt light concept with a small pack but what happens when you shoot an animal and have a heap of meat? I much prefer to pack light with my larger lightweight pack and then have ample room for meat. No way you could fit a fully boned animal plus 3 days gear into 40l?

I use an Osprey Aether BTW.
    Its doable, I just strap the drybag with my quilt and shit to the outside of the pack works well enough. TBH though the huntech doesn't carry that well when loaded, fine for a day hunt but gets old after a couple of days with a full load on. With 3 days of gear and food onboard for a walkabout my traps and neck start to get sore after the first full day.

I have a cactus huntaway as well that carries wayyyyyy better than the huntech but is a bit noisey when bush bashing. Is my go to now for short on the go hunts.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Hey guys,
    I’ve been downsizing all my hunting gear to only high quality essentials, and the next thing I need to look at is my pack.
    I currently have a Macpac Ascent (older NZ made one) and a Huntech 40l day pack. For the day trips and overnighters in the Ruahines that I am limited to now (young family) I’m finding the Ascent just too big and also too heavy considering it’s only 1/2 full. Having used the Huntech 40L a bit recently, I think the capacity is good for up to a 3 day trip. With the current market of ultralight gear, I was wondering if there are any good lightweight packs that people recommend at about the 40L size? The one problem I can see with the ultralight stuff is loading it up with meat. Most are not rated for that kind of weight.....
    The new Tatonka stealth 35+10 comes to mind, anyone got one? It’s 2kg empty, but can carry 35kg apparently
    https://www.tightlines.co.nz/Item/St...Pack-35plus10L
    Had a play with one of these the other day, look like a decent pack, not exactly light though

Thanks for the input! I guess I knew deep down that there is a certain amount of pack weight required to carry meat out. And yes, the Huntech 40l isn’t that comfortable with a bit of a load on.
    Given all the recommendations for the Cactus Huntaway, I’ll have a good look at one of those for my one pack to do it all.
    Can’t see me doing trips any longer than three days for the foreseeable future...

And here I was thinking “Finally someone has trained his other half to carry all there stuff into the hills for them clicked on here to see the do everything pack with the accompanying black eyes”!
    Alas no such luck
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Stone Glacier make some awesome gear. I have the krux evo 40/56. It's light, durable, will carry a serious load (I have been carrying 160 pound moose quarters here in Canada while guiding) and will shrink up pretty small when empty. It has a load shelf that's awesome when you need to haul out meat but already have your main bag full. I haven't got the photos from my clients yet but I have loaded the shit out of this thing for 60 days of solid hunting and maybe another 30 of preseason cutting trail etc. I'd highly recommend it.
    Name:  IMG_20190726_113334.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  3.69 MB
    Name:  IMG_20190726_121823.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  3.89 MB
    Tahr, kiwijames, tikka and 3 others like this.

Hey @Stocky why the gloves? Not trying to be smart? Are they for bug/plant protection or is it just cold?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

A Macpac torlesse 50L would be well worth looking at.

Kifaru if you like the finer things in life

Or Stone Glacier, Exo Packs
    Stocky likes this.