Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Down Sleeping bag for lower north island

Been looking for a down sleeping bag, my light weight down one with a liner didn't cut in the Aorangi's in late April.

Wondering what temp range I should aim for, mainly lower north island Tararuas ect. I do not usually use huts so will be tent or fly camping.

after much searching I have found 2 bags form outdoor vitals that gets good review's and reasonably priced.

20f sleeping and and 0f not much Difference in the price but i'm thinking 0f (-17c ) is overkill.

https://outdoorvitals.com/collection...ducts/summit-0
    https://outdoorvitals.com/collection...n-sleeping-bag

any recommendations on bags that are warm enough for Tararua's and arn't going to cost $500 +?

Thanks

Bought a couple of synthetic down bags in Aus a few years ago.
    Too bloody hot for there, ended up with a synthetic lightweight Doona - much more comfy for 12-15C nights camping in SW WA, off the bike (BMW LT1200 luxo barge).
    Used one in the Holdsworth Park (Totara Flats hut), on Kaikoura's weekend of earthquakes.
    Rated -5C, so still too warm, quite cheap in Aus.
    Sweated my bollocks off in it, but should be reasonably warm, even if it's snowing - but best in a hut I'd think.
    In its sleeve pack - about 300-350mm long, 150-200mm diameter packed - squeezes into a 35L pack easily, for a 2-3 day trip.

@dansus I have a Black Wolf 750 which i have just spent a week in the Thar ballot area around Zora.
    Bag performed well wasnt cold at any point. Cost me around $300 from Wilsons Hunting in Wanganui.

What's your current one?

Go for a quilt

CUrrent one is a 1 day special Beyond summit 300 rated to -5 (I guessing that's the extreme rating) and got a Thermotec liner. It's sleepable if you warm when you get in and have some layers on, but if I been hunting I'm usually wet and cold when I get in ( falling in a river at the start of a one night trip dosnt help). And don't like to carrying lots of clothes.

I wouldn't take it out if I know it's going to get below 5 not worth a bad nights sleep.

Thansk will take a look at black wolf as well

Good Mat?

Nope... once i started getting cold i thought that was the most likely the culprit, was using khatmandu hike 2.5 not even sure if it has an r rating.
    Ill try blue foam one next as they cost next to nothing and kept me warm in snow before. But will need a decent one eventually

Spring for a good one like exped or thermorest
    You will be surprised by the difference

Quote Originally Posted by dansus View Post
    Nope... once i started getting cold i thought that was the most likely the culprit, was using khatmandu hike 2.5 not even sure if it has an r rating.
    Ill try blue foam one next as they cost next to nothing and kept me warm in snow before. But will need a decent one eventually
    They are surprisingly good insulation...just not that comfortable or compact.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.