Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By Dyls
  • 3 Post By MSL
  • 11 Post By rab101
  • 3 Post By 308
  • 1 Post By Jusepy
  • 1 Post By Hiawatha
  • 3 Post By craigc

Thread: E-Bike for hunting?

E-Bike for hunting?

Is anyone here running an e bike for getting into the hills? Seems like a good way to cover ground fast and save energy for the hike up to the tops.

Whats the go in terms of specs etc? Id like to just grab the biggest, gruntiest mfer in the store and tear into it, but they also get the price of a half decent 2nd hand ute.

Any advice on what to look for on a 2nd hand bike or is it not worth it?

Cheers.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Just make sure it doesn’t run out of charge, they weigh about 25kg. Would t want to push that very far. The Born and Raised guys on YouTube use them a bit.

Haha yeah a 10k hike with a 30odd kg bike plus pack and ideally a deer sounds fun.

They advertise anywhere from 30-60 km range but id like to know how much hilly trails and heavy packs reduce that. If i could get a solid 20ks of hilly range id be happy. Most of the places i go are around 6-7 ks in before id ditch it and start walking.

MSL

E-Bike for hunting?

I’d look at an UBCO before any push bike type e-bike. 2wd, 120km range, can carry a decent load much lower to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    res, Steve123 and Ingrid 51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I’d look at an UBCO before any push bike type e-bike. 2wd, 120km range, can carry a decent load much lower to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah they look awesome but are expensive and super heavy.

Caretaker
    https://youtu.be/g4ZEPdXBwBc

Gas gas TX E

Solid power and range

A bit of a tango in Harlem doesn’t hurt either
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

ebf
    The Sur Ron X is very popular with the offroad crowd in US.

Another option to look at is the Kaboota Cruiser 2 - if you mainly do jeep tracks that are not too steep that would be worth a look.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I've done a fair amount of scheming about such a critter and even bought a bike to convert. A lot depends on the terrain you intend to tackle (I was always thinking of the deer I've carried back up steep bull-dozer tracks) as the Ebike people (sellers and users) make lots of promises that don't seem to be borne out by actual performance. In my case I haven't seen a set-up that I think will be able to walk a deer (let alone a deer and rider) up a several hundred feet of climb.

I tested a Bafang BBSHD and the guy I borrowed it from (who is a bloody keen hunter himeself) didn't think it would perform very well except up gradients you find in riverbeds. I had it too hot within 10 minutes and had to admit defeat.

Since then a few new units have appeared, the Bafang Ultra and CYC but I remain skeptical and am in the process of buying a Vitara/Escudo as I think my $3K will be better spent!

Yip, I bought a Specialized Turbo Levo for 1)MTBing the port hills and 2)hunting access in the high country.

I used to bike wherever doc land would permit - ie. old station land that has old 4wd tracks like Ahuriri and up behind Twizel. You do it OK on a regular MTB, bit of a grind though. Replace it with the right e-bike and you take less than half the time and not break a sweat. I run up to 3.0" tubeless tyres with sealant - good grip, more comfort and super durable - I used to always puncture on my old bike tubes with the matagouri.

Sometimes I'll mount a rear pannier but the tail being heavy makes it real tricky on steep inclines (eg. tracks running straight up an embankment) and awkward to walk it up as the bags hit your legs.

I've got a handlebar mounted bag carrier now if I need extra storage on the way out. From my experience, if you can walk your pack load on your back, you can bike it out on your back.

Dropper post is a nice luxury when you want stop and glass without getting off the bike or when descending.

As it's pedal-assist, technical sections or even small rocks can grind you to a halt. Not sure if the throttle type bikes would do a lot better, I don't think the bicycles have the mass, tyre size and suspension to not get bucked off.

Biggest ride on a hunt I've done was close to 900m vertical, about 16km return trip. Used 85% of the 504Wh battery, though I could have stretched it more. You want your 4-piston, 203mm rotor brakes on an unrelenting descent like that! On a trip like that, I reckon you save half a day's food and hydration in energy saved.

I love my e-bike, real capable and the mid-mount motor and battery gives it good balance and low centre of gravity. Believe it or not, it's still easy to pedal without assist (just slower).

Some trails will catch you out - whether it's washed out, boggy, or there's rockfall. Only one way to find your limit though!
    craigc, 308, res and 8 others like this.

Great first post, welcome to the forum
    Sideshow, matto1234 and Cordite like this.

Rode a with a mate into the Te Araroa track from Shannon a couple of weeks back .
    Parked up at the damm and then road all the way into the Te Araroa bottom hut .
    We were both on husky ebikes , I can definitely see the the advantages of riding all the way in and hunting as the bikes are so quiet and makes the trip effortless.
    Mind you , I dunno about hauling a dead animal out on the bike though. We had full suspension husky bikes and no gear which made it awesome.

We didn't follow the whole track but saw a lot of tracks from animals , even heard an animal crashing off when we surprised/spooked it.

Definitely will be keen to do it again , wont have a rifle though as more of a rider than a hunter. ( I only hunt rabbits at moment)
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Just make sure it doesn’t run out of charge, they weigh about 25kg. Would t want to push that very far. The Born and Raised guys on YouTube use them a bit.
    Can you post a link - Like to see that

Speaking to people who really know this stuff the overriding comment has been that the best thing is to retro fit a good quality mountain bike with an E bike conversion. Rather than buy an E bike. The componentry is usually way better than standard E bike componentry and the motor is off the crank which gives you more power.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    Speaking to people who really know this stuff the overriding comment has been that the best thing is to retro fit a good quality mountain bike with an E bike conversion. Rather than buy an E bike. The componentry is usually way better than standard E bike componentry and the motor is off the crank which gives you more power.
    I totally disagree, it may be the cheaper option, but the purpose built Ebikes have the beefier components; designed and built for the heavier bikes. Buy once, cry once. :-). But yes, make sure the motor is on the crank. I’ve got a 2019 Giant Trance E Pro 0 and it’s amazing, smashes walking times in half. Grinds up the steepest hills with ease, you do need to be a competent mountaineer biker though.

Carrying a heavy load on a bike is not fun, as rab101 says putting some of the weight on the front helps. Having all the weight in a pack makes your bike a bit unbalanced and light in the front, my wheel started lifting the other day with the hind quarters and the back steaks from a spiker.

I reckon the way to go it to go with a mate and just shoot one deer! Carry half each.

I just love my ebike, for riding and hunting. A spare battery would be great as they have limited range especially in steep country and carrying heavy loads, but batteries are expensive.

If you’ve got the coin they’re a great hunting tool, we got ours secondhand and saved a little, but expect to spend more than a custom rifle...
    308, res and Strummer like this.