Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Epic DIY rain proofing

Epic DIY rain proofing

I was going to put this in tips and tricks but it's too good.
    I found a thread on a foreign forum about DIY rain proofing and then browse YouTube clips on it.
    I've now done it myself and it is absolutely brilliant.
    Basically it a tube of pure silicone(not an ms) mized with either low odour turps or thinners. I used thinners at 50/50
    I watered it down more than 5050. The. Used an old spray bottle. Ended up using a paint brush as well. It gets I to the material the dries and is super hydrophobic. Better than any stuff I've ever bought.
    One guy on YouTube did his boots(and practically everything else.). I've now done the same.
    I've redone my jacketvshoulders and hod until it's almost visible. You must use a clear not a translucent so that it's invisible.

Search it on you tube. Most people ateusi g it for siltarps seams.
    I'm not a newby and have tried all sorts over the past 30yrs. I make leather condition ers as I'm a saddle maker and know leather. This is better for your boots that oil based conditioners.

Just thought I need to qualify my experience lol.

Anyway. Just thought in lead up to the roar some guys might appreciate such an awesome tip.

Just check first on a very small out of the way area that the thinner you are looking to use doesn't melt the synthetic fabrics
    R93 likes this.

Fair call. I've now put it on fleece and a range of nylon based jackets including my Swazi that's been knackered for years. Hunters element, ridgeline. No issues what so ever. If ya worry stick with snow seal and the likes. I always used them or the scotchguard style sprays but pushing through. Mingimingi etc always leaves them full of water even if the water did t get through. Either way give it a try. Porb the beat thing I've done was my cap. Bloody thing used to feel like it was wet right through the roar.

Anyway. Good luck guys. Two sika trips this year broken by a break chasing rutting fallow.
    JoshC and Matt2308 like this.

I've done that with my tents and rain jackets a few times over the years. Seems to work well. The only thing I found with tents was it affects their breath-ability, and tend to condensate more.
    R93 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

LOC
    cheers mate, do you mind letting us know exactly what brand/type of silicon and thinners you used? keen to try and might save any stuff ups with the wrong mixers

sneakywaza I got
    Yep, definine "thinners" Xylene, toluene and Methylene Chloride, in their normal state and various derivatives would be what I have to use, might not be the best......

The all purpose I've been using is toluene based.

I might go snap a pic. They only had a couple of silicone that weren't ms at mitre 10 when I was there. I think mine was called plumbers silicone.
    LOC likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I was going to put this in tips and tricks but it's too good.
    I found a thread on a foreign forum about DIY rain proofing and then browse YouTube clips on it.
    I've now done it myself and it is absolutely brilliant.
    Basically it a tube of pure silicone(not an ms) mized with either low odour turps or thinners. I used thinners at 50/50
    I watered it down more than 5050. The. Used an old spray bottle. Ended up using a paint brush as well. It gets I to the material the dries and is super hydrophobic. Better than any stuff I've ever bought.
    One guy on YouTube did his boots(and practically everything else.). I've now done the same.
    I've redone my jacketvshoulders and hod until it's almost visible. You must use a clear not a translucent so that it's invisible.

Search it on you tube. Most people ateusi g it for siltarps seams.
    I'm not a newby and have tried all sorts over the past 30yrs. I make leather condition ers as I'm a saddle maker and know leather. This is better for your boots that oil based conditioners.

Just thought I need to qualify my experience lol.

Anyway. Just thought in lead up to the roar some guys might appreciate such an awesome tip.
    Are you THE Cowboy? Do you have a BLR?
    paddygonebush likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    The all purpose I've been using is toluene based.
    Sounds good, have a stupid Stoney Creek, non water resistant "proper raincoat" Tarn Jacket. Since the day I owned it (from new) was only any good for about 20 minutes in a light drizzle, might give your trick a go.
    LOC likes this.

Yep, tussock. Went here to get away from the miserable atmosphere on the old forum. I'm sure you can understand lol. I use a range of rifles but still have the much loved blr.

Don't say a hell of lot on the forums anymore but enjoy reading the yarns threads and general banter.

Banned
    Don't say a hell of lot on the forums anymore but enjoy reading the yarns threads and general banter.
    Good to hear from you. Be cool if you would post a bit more. Miss some of the old crew.

Yeah. I'll post my huge 8 from next month
    I still see Chris from fnh all the time. We were out on Sunday chasing marlin. If there's one thing I have to thank the forum for it was meeting to awesome mates.
    sako75, nickbop and Tussock like this.

This Name:  IMG_20190308_191622.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  2.06 MB
    canross likes this.